Tazer (Programmer) for the JL

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I am sure this is somewhere but there are a lot of pages to go through. Does the tazer have to be plugged in to unmarry? Got a dealer appointment next week.

Thanks!
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I am sure this is somewhere but there are a lot of pages to go through. Does the tazer have to be plugged in to unmarry? Got a dealer appointment next week.

Thanks!
Yes. Unmarry means copy the original BCM program back to the vehicle. That way, of the dealer flashes an updated version then Tazer will pick that up when you marry it. Otherwise, you would undo the dealer’s update when you eventually unmarried the Tazer.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR

Thanks!
Yup. And as I discovered, if you have the non-obd version, you need to plug the pigtails back into the Jeep otherwise the radio head unit won't boot.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I need to ask a question I have not found the correct answer to...

I have my Tazer Mini all set for the new version 11.1.5 and all is good. So as I go to the dealer next week, I have read to unmarry my Tazer to my Jeep... I get that... to put back factory settings.

BUT after my Jeep comes back from service from the dealer, I remarry my Tazer to Jeep, will it REMEMBER all the 20 things I did for setup... OR do I have to reprogram my Tazer to the Jeep.

Just did not see a clear answer to that question. Like does the Tazer remember what I did before service unmarry.

Love my Tazer Mini and how it works. The more I play with it the more I can read between the lines in the instructions. Now I learned how easy to access and remove the unit by removing the skin under the steering wheel to have an easier access.

I'm a computer geek.. just the right toy for me as well as not computer geeks who want thier Jeep their way..

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I need to ask a question I have not found the correct answer to...

I have my Tazer Mini all set for the new version 11.1.5 and all is good. So as I go to the dealer next week, I have read to unmarry my Tazer to my Jeep... I get that... to put back factory settings.

BUT after my Jeep comes back from service from the dealer, I remarry my Tazer to Jeep, will it REMEMBER all the 20 things I did for setup... OR do I have to reprogram my Tazer to the Jeep.

Just did not see a clear answer to that question. Like does the Tazer remember what I did before service unmarry.

Love my Tazer Mini and how it works. The more I play with it the more I can read between the lines in the instructions. Now I learned how easy to access and remove the unit by removing the skin under the steering wheel to have an easier access.

I'm a computer geek.. just the right toy for me as well as not computer geeks who want thier Jeep their way..
Unfortunately, you'll have to reprogram the Tazer changes you made. It doesn't "remember" settings once unmarried (unlike divorce, so I'm told).

Sponsored

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Why "Z Automotive" does not make a "very simple" instruction manual for a Tazer user in preparation for a visit to the dealer.

I'm trying to understand, my English is not good and I have the impression that some (important) information here on the forum is contradictory.

It would be so much more convenient for Tazer users to have an "A" procedure and a "B" made by "Z Automotive" once and for all.

A, what to do before a visit to the dealer (should the Tazer be dismantled? should all changes made before the Tazer is removed? ...)

B, what to do when you get home and how to cleanly put your Tazer back (should you just marry the Tazer? should you put back all the changes made before you put the Tazer down? should you do something else?...)

Thanks for your help, I'm afraid to do something stupid just before going to the dealership.

Steph (sorry for my poor English :lipssealed:)

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Why "Z Automotive" does not make a "very simple" instruction manual for a Tazer user in preparation for a visit to the dealer.

I'm trying to understand, my English is not good and I have the impression that some (important) information here on the forum is contradictory.

It would be so much more convenient for Tazer users to have an "A" procedure and a "B" made by "Z Automotive" once and for all.

A, what to do before a visit to the dealer (should the Tazer be dismantled? should all changes made before the Tazer is removed? ...)

B, what to do when you get home and how to cleanly put your Tazer back (should you just marry the Tazer? should you put back all the changes made before you put the Tazer down? should you do something else?...)

Thanks for your help, I'm afraid to do something stupid just before going to the dealership.

Let me say, first and foremost, that your English is better than most native speakers!

A. Yes, you probably should unmarry. If you have the mini version, you should also uninstall it. That said, the chances that your dealer would flash new firmware during your visit is very, very low. Lots of people worry that their dealer will discover that a programmer has been used and then void their warranty. Personally, I don’t think there’s a dealer out there that would actually care.

B. Yes, you reinstall, remarry, and reprogram just like you did when you bought it. Kind of a pain, but how often does one realistically need dealer service? I’ve only been once in 18 months.

The original OBDII version has a leg up, here, as it’s much easier to uninstall/reinstall. (Yes, the paranoid will argue that the dealer will “see” that you have bypassed the secure gateway module, but in reality their Witech scanner won’t notice and the dealer wouldn’t care.) I have the original OBDII version and will leave my bypass installed for dealer visits.

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hello "OldGuyNewJeep"

Thank you ;)

Thank you for these clarifications for "A" and "B". I must therefore note the changes I made in my Tazer in order to be prepared for a future visit to the dealer.

I thought I had to remove the Tazer precisely for when the dealer does a service (emptying, changing wear parts, etc.) and therefore he must have access to the OBDII to do a "reset" or remove error codes, or whatever!

My second question is therefore to what extent, the dealer must absolutely read / write in the OBDII?

For the moment my changes on my Tazer are: size of the wheels, Remove the alarm from the hood (because I don't have a "panic" button on my key and therefore I can't stop the alarm if it goes on... I asked the question to "Z Automotive", but no answer for this "problem"), remove the "Stat&Stop".

Thank you.
Steph

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, you'll have to reprogram the Tazer changes you made. It doesn't "remember" settings once unmarried (unlike divorce, so I'm told).
Yelp, that what my divorced friend said. Have you had to redo setting after you married the unmarried.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase

Your English is good.... I have read the instruction over and over and understanding more and more each time, so keep reading. It written from a tech mindset, short and to the point.

Sponsored

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
My Jeep’s been in to the dealership 3 times since I installed the Tazer mini. Each time I’ve forgotten to remove it, lol.

They’ve never made any comment. So either they don’t notice it’s there or they don’t care. I’ve stopped worrying about it.

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
To read the documentation, I had to translate it (google) and as there are errors (auto translation) that's why I ask for help here.

It is a pity that the documentation does not simply and clearly explain how to do for a "visit to the dealer", it is not a criticism... but just a request and to improve the original documentation.

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeep’s been in to the dealership 3 times since I installed the Tazer mini. Each time I’ve forgotten to remove it, lol.

They’ve never made any comment. So either they don’t notice it’s there or they don’t care. I’ve stopped worrying about it.
My question is mainly for: What happens if the dealer has to read and write (?) in the OBCII, while having the Tazer installed

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
My question is mainly for: What happens if the dealer has to read and write (?) in the OBCII, while having the Tazer installed
The mini isn’t plugged in to the OBD port so they still have access to that...if that’s what you’re questioning?

I do have a good relationship with the dealership so I’m not really worried about them finding evidence that the Tazer is there.

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The mini isn’t plugged in to the OBD port so they still have access to that...if that’s what you’re questioning?

I do have a good relationship with the dealership so I’m not really worried about them finding evidence that the Tazer is there.
I'm sorry.
To install the Tazer mini, you have to disconnect two cables (not really easy to access) on an original Jeep box (under the dashboard) and connect them (two cables) to the Tazer mini, so it's not the OBDII?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.