Sponsored

Tazer Mini Questions

hiilong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Thinking about Investing in a Tazer JL mini. I’m Only hesitant to drop the money because I was wondering if using this to program the vehicle is like “jailbreaking” an iPhone. Can someone shine light on this topic? Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

ascuro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 1985 CJ7, 1975 CJ5
It's probably pretty close to jailbreaking in theory, but is also entirely reversible. From what I've seen, people have only had issues when they didn't follow the reboot procedure (nothing complicated). Mine's worked flawlessly so far.

To me, being able to adjust tire size and tpms threshold, along with the axle lock overrides, turncam, hood alarm, and auto stop/start disable make it entirely worth it.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thinking about Investing in a Tazer JL mini. I’m Only hesitant to drop the money because I was wondering using this to program the vehicle is like is like “jailbreaking” an iPhone. Can someone shine light on this topic? Thanks!
Been running the mini for 2 years, no worries.
You just unmarry it and take it out when taking it in to dealer for any repairs or warranty work. All settings go back to factory setting. Leaves no trace it was in.
Tazer JL Mini is well worth the money imho. One of my favorite mods.....,:)

Jeep1967

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JL, 2008 Sahara JK, 2000 Sport TJ, 1995 Sport YJ
I’ve had one I bought used on this site for about a year. No issues. Works great. Customer service is also good from Tazer and that’s very important. I will say the tazer is not easy to plug in or unplug. The place it goes on the JL is hard to reach, at least with my hands.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I had a superchips flashcal and recently sold it and ordered the Tazer JL as well. I can’t wait to try out the features it has and love that you can leave it in and continue to use it even while driving around. The superchips wasn’t as easy to do that as it plugged into the OBDII port and had a wire going to it.

Sponsored

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
I've had the Tazer for about 6 months now and love the fact that the Jeep doesn't shut off at stoplights when I forget to shut the start stop off. Also bought the front camera that despite the issues some have had here, works great. Not HD, but really nice to see just what you're about to encounter on trail rises. Lockers in 4 hi, tire pressure limits, winch mode and a lot of other features.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Been running it on the JL since new in 18. NO issues.

1. I think it is like jailbreaking but with Jailbreaking isn't that non reversible? This is not.
2. I do unmarry it before going to the dealer and I have never had a problem even once. I do have an 18 so it has been to the dealer plenty ;-)
3. I do update it but I do not update it as often as the updates come out. Maybe about once a year it gets updated. Plenty much leave it alone.

I hope that helps but you should proceed with confidence.

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
It is not like jail breaking a phone, all it really does it give you the ability to change a few settings and none are engine or performance related. you just 'unmarry' it (or remove it and plug the factory one in) before taking it to the dealer. I use mine for changing the gear ratio and tire size and some other settings, it doesnt allow any real 'tuning' or changes like increasing rev limiter, or any other performance related changes, I would get it.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
It ain't really a jail break... it's more of a temporary hostage situation. As mentioned, you can always return it to stock with a few button presses. It's only worth it if you plan to use several of the features. I love the thing.

If you go with it and plan to do the divorce thing for dealer visits, I'd suggest the SGM extension cable. Money well spent. If you have sausage links for fingers, it's a pain in the ass. I don't, and disconnecting it still sucked. > > > Save the fingers!

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
You can have my mini... worked well but I just do not take advantage of all the new features. It is over kill for me. Make me an offer by PM me. It is unmarred and updated. Just sitting in my glove box.

You see I got it just to stop the stop thing... I do not have big tires or lower my tire air pressure. I now just puts the button after starting up and putting on the heated seats...

Sponsored

OP
OP
hiilong

hiilong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Thank you guys for your insights! These are all helpful.

Truckn

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon V6 6spd Manual || 1989 Toyota Pickup 4x4 SR5 V6 5spd Manual
Please forgive a minor thread-hi-jacking, I'm hoping it's relevant...

If I marry the Tazer to the Jeep and then Jeep wants to update the software, does it revert the Tazer? Do you just re-marry it?

Thanks

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase

If I marry the Tazer to the Jeep and then Jeep wants to update the software, does it revert the Tazer? Do you just re-marry it?

Thanks
FCA updates don't revert anything you've set with the Tazer... but you may not get updates with the Tazer connected. You'd only need to remarry if you've physically unmarried the unit.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

Thanks
Just unmarry and disconnect before taking it into the dealer. The dealer may not do anything if it is plugged in. Mine would not although they know about these things. The tech just told me to unmarry it (well he said unplug it because he didn’t have that much of a clue) as he would not plug his OBD in with it connected.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for your interest.... Sold for $280. Not available.
Sponsored