Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, I recently installed a Tazer mini and so far it works great. My radio has rebooted a couple times for no reason while driving so I need to keep an eye on that, but everything else seems to be working as it should.

My question is about using the lockers in 4h. Anyone do it? Any issues? Are the lockers strong enough? I am planning on going to the sand dunes and there is great benefit to have at least the rear locker engaged while in 4h.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see any reason you can't use the rear locker in 4H on the sand. It's not like you are on pavement and the tires won't slip.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, I recently installed a Tazer mini and so far it works great. My radio has rebooted a couple times for no reason while driving so I need to keep an eye on that, but everything else seems to be working as it should.

My question is about using the lockers in 4h. Anyone do it? Any issues? Are the lockers strong enough? I am planning on going to the sand dunes and there is great benefit to have at least the rear locker engaged while in 4h.

Thanks in advance.
I use my lockers in 4h a lot, no issues. The tazer works good for lockers and there’s no problem with it staying engaged. Your dash screen might blink different things, but it’s not anything to worry about. I asked joe at zauto about it, and he assured me it was fine. I don’t use the tazer for lockers though, since I have them wired to aux switches. I like the instant on, instant off it provides. My tazer sometimes takes a minute to engage/disengage. I have been in a spots where I needed to disengage the front to negotiate a turn and waiting makes it tougher. But it should work great for what your going to be doing, have fun.....:)

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Are the lockers strong enough?

They see a lot more torque being shoved thru them in low range than high range

There is ZERO problem with using the lockers in high range; FCA prohibited it because you've gotta build for the lowest common denominator

As a driver you need to understand what lockers are and what they do, they're worried Bob Vila Suburbia will engage the front locker on icy roads on the interstate at 70mph in a corner.....

Amric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 TJ Rubicon, 2018 JL Rubicon
lockers don't care if you are in high or low gear, they only care how much slip is in the surface your driving on. As long as the tires can slip on the surface when you turn, the drivetrain will not bind up, and no damage will be done.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
You'd be hard pressed to cause damage in 4hi from drivetrain bind. It'll just result in greater feedback to the driver and (technically) increased tire wear.

You might feel the vehicle buck or jerk in tight turns, hear a bit of tire chirp, and turning radius will be reduced etc

And of course get in the habit of driving with thumbs out, esp if the front locker is engaged

OP
OP
Trav.city

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the replies. I had OX lockers in my CJ 7 and they were bulletproof. I was thinking higher speed could cause an issue and that is why Jeep didn’t allow it in 4h. I am glad to hear they are tough and I am good to go in 4h without worries of my diff exploding.

Eric Kern

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR LE
Occupation
Engineering Marvel
So, just to confirm, you can run the rear locker in 4hi at any speed correct?!?! (Tazer instruction manual says they auto disengage above 10mph?!?!)

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
So, just to confirm, you can run the rear locker in 4hi at any speed correct?!?! (Tazer instruction manual says they auto disengage above 10mph?!?!)
New Tazer JL Mini user here also, I did not read that in the manual. They will not engage if above 10 mph, there is no auto disengage.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I use my lockers in 4h a lot, no issues. The tazer works good for lockers and there’s no problem with it staying engaged. Your dash screen might blink different things, but it’s not anything to worry about. I asked joe at zauto about it, and he assured me it was fine. I don’t use the tazer for lockers though, since I have them wired to aux switches. I like the instant on, instant off it provides. My tazer sometimes takes a minute to engage/disengage. I have been in a spots where I needed to disengage the front to negotiate a turn and waiting makes it tougher. But it should work great for what your going to be doing, have fun.....:)
Did you rewire the factory lockers to allow the aux switch or using aftermarket lockers?
Is this a fix to the sensor problem that many Rubis are experiencing?

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Did you rewire the factory lockers to allow the aux switch or using aftermarket lockers?
Is this a fix to the sensor problem that many Rubis are experiencing?
I used these.....

Jeep Wrangler JL Using lockers in 4h with Tazer mini. E1A192AD-C05A-4B9B-91BF-F7EFB3A1D123
Jeep Wrangler JL Using lockers in 4h with Tazer mini. 2B75B354-AE5E-44F4-BD45-76FA05A4CB23

As far as I know the hot and ground of the lockers are not affected by the module failing, because guys are getting the Z Locker wiring harnesses to use as a fix.

They weren’t available when I hacked my lockers but that’s what I would I recommend now instead of what I did. There’s a couple drawbacks to using the aux switches, I explain it in here......

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/lockers-whenever-i-want-them.18939/

What the Z locker harness does is, it uses an external module to talk to the computer so you use the factory switches and the icons and messages on the dash are all the same as factory. The end that plugs into the diff is just hot and ground .

If I didn’t have my hack , which is what I’m using now as my fix if they fail on the trail , I would buy a couple of ZLocker harnesses and throw them in the glovebox . When I saw the first sign of error code then install them immediately. The longer you wait the buggier the module gets.

Last edited:

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I used these.....

Jeep Wrangler JL Using lockers in 4h with Tazer mini. 2B75B354-AE5E-44F4-BD45-76FA05A4CB23

As far as I know the hot and ground of the lockers are not affected by the module failing, because guys are getting the Z Locker wiring harnesses to use as a fix.

They weren’t available when I hacked my lockers but that’s what I would I recommend now instead of what I did. There’s a couple drawbacks to using the aux switches, I explain it in here......

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/lockers-whenever-i-want-them.18939/

What the Z locker harness does is, it uses an external module to talk to the computer so you use the factory switches and the icons and messages on the dash are all the same as factory. The end that plugs into the diff is just hot and ground .

If I didn’t have my hack , which is what I’m using now as my fix if they fail on the trail , I would buy a couple of ZLocker harnesses and throw them in the glovebox . When I saw the first sign of error code then install them immediately. The longer you wait the buggier the module gets.
Wow, thanks for all the info. I’ll have to look into picking up these as backup or pot the sensors here soon. I’m at 3k now so getting there to where I’ll be draining and swapping my diff fluid.

Eric Kern

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR LE
Occupation
Engineering Marvel
New Tazer JL Mini user here also, I did not read that in the manual. They will not engage if above 10 mph, there is no auto disengage.
It didn’t seem correct, maybe I’m reading It wrong but this is what I’m looking at (in instructions)
Jeep Wrangler JL Using lockers in 4h with Tazer mini. E0AB968D-A37B-44A5-BAFC-6A11D8FCEA16

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
It didn’t seem correct, maybe I’m reading It wrong but this is what I’m looking at (in instructions)
E0AB968D-A37B-44A5-BAFC-6A11D8FCEA16.jpeg
Well, I guess this needs some clarification, this is from the instructions for Firmware version 11.2.0.
Jeep Wrangler JL Using lockers in 4h with Tazer mini. Screenshot (56)

Why bother locking the axle if you can only use it from 0-10 mph. I can only speculate that it was meant to say "Lockers will not engage past 10 MPH".

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I guess this needs some clarification, this is from the instructions for Firmware version 11.2.0.

Why bother locking the axle if you can only use it from 0-10 mph. I can only speculate that it was meant to say "Lockers will not engage past 10 MPH".
Lockers do stay locked at any speed, instructions are wrong.
Sponsored