Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I legit went from stock Sahara, to stock Rubicon wheels/tires..

I think it's slightly bigger.
I believe stock Sahara tires are 31’s and Rubicon’s are 33’s, if that’s the only thing you are planning to do right now I would check your speed with an app like Speedbox or similar to see how far your speedo is off and I’m betting it’s only off by a few mph and if that’s the case I would not invest in anything but if you are say wanting to do LED’s, adjust TPMS limits or turn TPMS off along with a few other things that Tazer or JSCAN can do then it’s worth the coin.

There are differences in what these two products do and some even run both but again you need to look at what features you want and see what product fits that need and it may or may not be the less expensive one.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Sport and Sport S = 31.5 inch diameter 245/75R17 tires

Sport Altitude & Sahara = 32 inch diameter 255/70R18 tires

Rubicon = 33 inch diameter 285/70R17 tires
Not much difference

Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer Mini or OBD JScan? F17C5BC0-2CA4-468D-8646-25C67A0F9C2B

houdini764

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
You don't need a programmer for aftermarket LEDs. Only time it's usually needed is when swapping in OEM LEDs.

The MX+ will work without issue, but it is expensive. There are others listed for use with the JSCAN app on the web site. I use a Vgate iCar Pro. You don't need an expensive OBD2 module if you're simply using it with JSCAN.

You don't need a bypass module with an OBD2 module and the JSCAN app. You need a bypass cable like this.
Thank you very much for the reply! Everything’s on the way!

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
As @jludave said one does not need a bypass module as the JSCAN does not use live features like the Tazer does but it sure makes things easier not having to fumble with cables.

Sponsored

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL High Altitude Sport
You don't need a programmer for aftermarket LEDs. Only time it's usually needed is when swapping in OEM LEDs.

The MX+ will work without issue, but it is expensive. There are others listed for use with the JSCAN app on the web site. I use a Vgate iCar Pro. You don't need an expensive OBD2 module if you're simply using it with JSCAN.

You don't need a bypass module with an OBD2 module and the JSCAN app. You need a bypass cable like this.
Hey @jludave Just for clarification, If I were to purchase the MX+ I wouldn't need to purchase any bypass cables (Like you would with the iCar Pro) or anything. Just simply hook up the OBD2 module into the port and make the necessary changes?

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

As you have read above, there are pro and cons to both.
Tazer, more user friendly, has live features (most of which can be attained using other phone apps - anything related to live data and gauges, free), and will revert everything to stock once unplugged (completely unnecessary for dealer visit or varanty). But cost $325

Jscan - has 99% of Tazer programing features that you would ever use, not as user friendly, but total cost is far less - $75. ONCE you have bypass cable and wifi OBD2 you can use many other geat apps that cost nothing to see live data/gauges/data logging.
I would have gone with the Tazer JL long ago with the user-friendly options like disable start-stop but my concern and hesitation to do so is what I've read here on this form about the tazer jl running continuously long after you have parked and shut off your Wrangler for the night, and some cases causing dead batteries.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Just for clarification, If I were to purchase the MX+ I wouldn't need to purchase any bypass cables (Like you would with the iCar Pro) or anything. Just simply hook up the OBD2 module into the port and make the necessary changes?
@TheDreamcatcherJL,

You need a bypass cable with any adapter.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I would have gone with the Tazer JL long ago with the user-friendly options like disable start-stop but my concern and hesitation to do so is what I've read here on this form about the tazer jl running continuously long after you have parked and shut off your Wrangler for the night, and some cases causing dead batteries.
Early adaptations of the Tazer did have issues early on in regard to powering down but from my understanding that has long been corrected but with say a Tazer mini you would either plug it in and leave it plugged in or plug in, make changes then unplug unless your using the live settings then it has to be left plugged in.

With JSCAN you simply bypass the SGW like Tazer but then plug in you OBDII BT module and then use the JSCAN app to make your changes then unplug the BT module.

Both products involve unplugging and plugging cables in to make changes the only way to avoid this is to use JSCAN and couple it with a Tazer SGW bypass module then you would simply plug in the module as needed to make changes and unplug from the OBDII port when done, no fumbling with cables

I have used both and they both have strong and weak points like cost, disabling some features etc...

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

So what's the advantages/difference between going with the MX+ instead of the cheaper iCar Pro which you mentioned you have?
@TheDreamcatcherJL:

I'm told that with the MX+ you can perform a few additional JSCAN features (like radio resets, which 99% of people don't need to do) that you can't with other adapters. Also, the MX+ has an app that can be used with it, which is very good for diagnostics, etc. on all types of vehicles.

I had an MX adapter that I used with my JK and old Android phone. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with my new iPhone, so I went with the vGate adapter.

If you are only going to use an adapter with JSCAN on the JL, and want to save a bit of cash, go for the iCar Pro adapter.

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@TheDreamcatcherJL:

I'm told that with the MX+ you can perform a few additional JSCAN features (like radio resets, which 99% of people don't need to do) that you can't with other adapters. Also, the MX+ has an app that can be used with it, which is very good for diagnostics, etc. on all types of vehicles.

I had an MX adapter that I used with my JK and old Android phone. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with my new iPhone, so I went with the vGate adapter.

If you are only going to use an adapter with JSCAN on the JL, and want to save a bit of cash, go for the iCar Pro adapter.
@jludave I'll go with the iCar and purchase the cord, sounds like a more convenient option. Only looking to change tire size and possibly re-gear. Running some 35s on my sport with a 2.5" lift. I have a 2021 Sport and see you have a 2020. What did you re-gear to if you have on your JLU?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

What did you re-gear to if you have on your JLU?
@TheDreamcatcherJL:

No re-gear. Running stock. May change wheels and go with 33s down the road. Haven't driven much in 2020 due to COVID, so I barely have 4,000 miles on my JLU (purchased in Feb. 2020). I'd like to get some more mileage out of the stock wheels and tires for now. Also, I have a Sport Altitude and like the stock black 18" wheels.

To keep the thread on track, I used JSCAN back when I had my '15 JKU to enable DRLs and a couple of other things. So far, I've used JSCAN on my '20 JLU to disable fog light drop-out and enable Off Road Pages in my new 8.4" radio (upgraded from the 7").

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@TheDreamcatcherJL:

No re-gear. Running stock. May change wheels and go with 33s down the road. Haven't driven much in 2020 due to COVID, so I barely have 4,000 miles on my JLU (purchased in Feb. 2020). I'd like to get some more mileage out of the stock wheels and tires for now. Also, I have a Sport Altitude and like the stock black 18" wheels.

To keep the thread on track, I used JSCAN back when I had my '15 JKU to enable DRLs and a couple of other things. So far, I've used JSCAN on my '20 JLU to disable fog light drop-out and enable Off Road Pages in my new 8.4" radio (upgraded from the 7").
@jludave I dig it. The link above shows the Vgate won't be in stock until the 9th. Is this one the same thing essentially just different supplier I assume?

https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-LPHUS-...car+pro&qid=1617330287&sr=8-9#customerReviews
Sponsored