Threads
Reaction score
Website
starwars.fandom.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU SPORT S 2.0, 2004 TJ SPORT 5.3LS
Occupation
Jedi Knight
I spent considerable time reading the manual, and *trying* to do everything correct, AND working with a shop that's done many tazer installs. They were as mystified as me, and unable to resolve the problem with tazer support, as far as the sixth gear ESS issue.

I followed those instructions multiple times, as did the shop that installed my gears and tires. Finally, on this forum, I connected with a couple other owners of 6 speed JLs. They both confirmed that for the new size to fully be accepted, an additional step, not listed in the manual, needed to be performed - disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to reset the computer. (I won't describe those steps here. Suffice to say that simply disconnecting the black negative terminal on the main battery is NOT sufficient.)
It all listed right in the user guide my man :giggle:

Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer JL Mini Programming - One Guy's Experience/Review LOL.JPG

I don't believe you or your mechanic are reading the most recent user guide as the problem you ranted about is clearly listed in the troubleshooting section of the most recent one posted on Zautomotive's website (I've attached it for your viewing pleasure)

With that said, it's up to you to make sure you have the correct information.
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy

Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer JL Mini Programming - One Guy's Experience/Review LOL.JPG

I don't believe you or your mechanic are reading the most recent user guide as the problem you ranted about is clearly listed in the troubleshooting section of the most recent one posted on Zautomotive's website (I've attached it for your viewing pleasure)

If only they could just add that one page to the existing manual :) WTH

Reactions: J0E
OP
OP
bjm00se

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22

LOL.JPG

As I've pointed a couple times in this thread now, I printed out and followed those specific instructions. There's a step missing from them. After you follow them, you may also need to disconnect the battery. That step isn't there.

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
I definitely don't get the snark at the OP. I don't own a Tazer so I haven't experienced any of this and there is probably lots of useful information scattered around the internet that explains all of the different ways it can be used and what torubleshooting steps to follow if you spend enough time researching it. But, to start making snide remarks to the OP and saying that maybe he shouldn't even be trying to chnage his tire size with the product because he hadn't made a whole National Treasure style 5 year internet search about every possible scenario and then expressed his frustration and gave what to many would be helpful tips seems petty and short-sighted. He did not come on here and call your baby ugly or even worse say that Jeep is not the only capable off road vehicle in the world.

To the OP, thanks for posting this I have thought of buying a Tazer and reading a concise description of it good and bad points helps me make an informed decision.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
My Jeep has a six speed manual transmission. When you change the tire size on a manual, there's an ENTIRE manual supplement on additional steps you have to take to get the Jeep to recognize those settings:

FURTHER EDIT - folks don't seem to be aware that I'm both aware of and specifically referring to this supplement on the Zautomotive page. If you're changing tire size or gear ratio on a 6sp wrangler, you need this supplement!
https://www.zautomotive.com/zpu/instructions/jlm6relearn.pdf

BUT -- EVEN AFTER following those instructions (which I printed out and did)
You may STILL experience the following failure:

• Gears one thru four function normally.
  • then, 5 to 30 seconds after shifting into 5th or 6th gear, you'll get an ESS error on the dash.
  • the gear position indicator will blank out.
  • the front and rear camera displays will cease to work
  • ...until the next time you restart the Jeep.

I followed those instructions multiple times, as did the shop that installed my gears and tires. Finally, on this forum, I connected with a couple other owners of 6 speed JLs. They both confirmed that for the new size to fully be accepted, an additional step, not listed in the manual, needed to be performed - disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to reset the computer. (I won't describe those steps here. Suffice to say that simply disconnecting the black negative terminal on the main battery is NOT sufficient.)

THAT was the magic incantation to get ESS working again with the new tire size.
I can confirm this happens to a manual trans Jeep, and it doesnā€™t seem to matter 5/6 gear. Happened on the way home from work yesterday, and I definitely donā€™t hit 5th.
It happened again today, with the cruise control engaged, and that froze Carplay. I took it off Bluetook and unplugged the transmitter, and tried going hard wired- Carplay froze again and didnā€™t come back until I restarted the Jeep.

Also: if it wasn't For this thread, I would have never known about the appendix to the manual for Manual trans Jeeps.

Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
And "anchor mode" for winching. That seems really useful; be able to run your winch on the Jeep while not simultaneously sitting in the driver seat holding the brake pedal. I thought I followed the steps, but what I did didn't cause anything to happen. So I've got "some more learnings" to get before I can activate that feature. :)
Anchor mode is disabled when a door is opened or if the seat belt isn't engaged. Even so, I've got the latest Tazer mini update and I can't get anchor mode to work. It would be super useful for winching if I could get out of the rig, but that doesn't seem possible.

annedai

First Name
zoe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Anchor mode is disabled when a door is opened or if the seat belt isn't engaged. Even so, I've got the latest Tazer mini update and I can't get anchor mode to work. It would be super useful for winching if I could get out of the rig, but that doesn't seem possible.

Exploring the intricacies of the Thunderbird Mail Client has been an enlightening journey! Despite encountering a few issues, the beauty lies in the problem-solving process. Embracing challenges is akin to overcoming writer's block ā€“ both demand creativity. When Thunderbird posed hurdles, it ignited my problem-solving skills, much like breaking through the barriers of a blank page. It's fascinating how unraveling complexities sharpens my analytical mind. Each issue became a canvas, and the resolution, a stroke of inspiration. Just as I find ways of https://essaypro.com/blog/writers-block how to overcome writer's block by tapping into creativity, Thunderbird's challenges transformed into opportunities to enhance my tech proficiency.
Thanks for the information!

OP
OP
bjm00se

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
I mean, really, in that case, what the heck is the point of the feature? Keep your foot from getting tired? 0mph winching cruise control?

[replying to this now since someone else recently bumped the thread]

Bobby Hank

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Wrangler Rubicon X 2D
Occupation
Educator
Just got mine in today, and while it was easy to marry and get the fog lights how I wanted, I still have no idea how to find the setting to change when the garage door opener works for 30s longer and/or with door open. Canā€™t find it.
Want to do the Hood alarm too, never saw that either. Is it automatic if married? Donā€™t wanna scare the neighbors or wife at the moment finding outā€¦ canā€™t find ā€œKill 3 Honkā€ either.
Light show in the garage freaked the cat out pretty good.

Dadawada

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2020 Honda Goldwing Bagger
Occupation
Network Technology Executive
Vehicle Showcase
So I took the Tazer dive so to speak. I have previously had the Superchips FlashCal F5 and used it to change my tire size. That was pretty much it. For that it worked fine.

I upgraded my headlights to the OEM LEDs. They work fine. I upgraded the DRLs and they worked fine for a while. Now they act wonky. One side working fine, the other sometimes coming on sometimes not. coming on when I manually turn the lights on then going off. Very odd. I also had the dealer install the Mopar steel bumper that comes with LEDs. At first they worked but then after the dealer replaced the batteries (I hate the start stop system) the bumper LEDs stopped working. Dealer can't figure it out. So I thought I'd pick up a Tazer and try to fix my LED issues and finally get rid of the start stop system.

First thing was I downloaded the software from Z-Automotive since the instructions everyone gave was to make sure I had the latest software loaded. When it got to the separate "drivers" install I was instructed to turn off the Windows Core Isolation Memory Integrity setting. This seemed odd but I went ahead with the install. Checked the device and it had the latest software already installed. However, my Windows system was now giving me warnings about the Core Isolation and Memory Integrity being turned off. There was no way to turn the protection back on as the "drivers" that were installed were apparently from 2014 and not compatible with Windows 11 Pro. It took me forever to try and get the software and those drivers uninstalled. I'm still dealing with issues. Strike one...

I unmarried the FlashCal and married the Tazer. So far so good. Kept it simple and just adjusted the tire size to correct that and then focused only on setting the fog lights to LED....done.

Expecting to have my fogs now turn on I was disappointed to find it made no difference...still no fogs...odd since this system is all Mopar. Strike two...

Time will tell if I made a mistake. The tazer does appear to offer a lot of great options, many more than the FlashCal. I hope I can get the LED situation fixed with the dealer...

Sponsored

Capt Milks

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Thanks Steve for the post. Informative.
Arrogance is a minds inability to deal with others in a kind and informative manor since that person thinks they know everything. Its sad that so many are quick on the typewriter, in their secure space, that want to bash you and your methods. My take was you were trying to help others, And it looks like you have helped several.

evo8904

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram/ Wrangler soon
I found that the tazer mini is easy to use. My only issue was the install. WTF was Jeep thinking with the placement of those cables lol! I ended up ordering the extension. But this is an amazing product!!! I love the honk kill and having my lockers in 2H or 4H.

CarolinaJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2dr Sport S
I appreciate the long review from the OP. I bought this thing just for tire size and auto on/off. It is definitely more ā€˜lab projectā€™ than ā€˜ready for the average consumerā€˜.
And yes I watched YouTube and read the latest directions. And on my ā€˜24 it was very easy to install.

But like the OP said, the menus are constantly showing other information so itā€™s hard to know where you are. I did not see this on YouTube.

And the instructions suck. It reads like if you donā€™t do everything right youā€™ll ruin your new JL. Bold, red, big fonts, little fonts - itā€™s chaotic and not clear. Just one example - one place in the procedure after you update it says to turn ā€™onā€™, another it says to just open/close the door. I got it done but i was constantly worried - do I open the door, release the button, why does it say ā€œupdatingā€ etc.

Bottom line, it seems like it works, but I would probably not buy again since I only wanted a couple of the features and I just donā€™t know that I trust it.
Sponsored