Sponsored

Tazer JL Mini Review - 2019 JL Sport -

footose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Tazer Version 11.2.1 (Release 04.23.20)

I live in Canada, and getting a Tazer JL Mini here ends up costing about $500 Canadian after exchange, shipping and duty, which is pretty hefty. So I expect things to work.

I understand that this is a "hack" - and obviously there are bugs and unexpected things are happening, so take this with a grain of salt - but here is my experience over the last week:

I purchased the Mini to do the following, and here is my review of the things:

#1) Code my OEM LED Headlight upgrade so the highbeams would work with the lowbeams and fog lights.

No issue, OEM LED works now with Highbeams and Lowbeams on.​

#2) Code my OEM LED Halos

I needed to add the OEM harness for my JLS, which I did. This coding does not work at all. Now, I'm not sure if this is the fault of the Tazer or actually Mopar (Dealer couldn't get it to work either), however, there is nothing on the Tazer site saying this doesn't work for 2019 models. I specifically bought this product to do this, it's advertised to do it, and it does not work.​

#3) Change lane camera

This was super exciting to have and another reason I was buying the Tazer - but turned out to be absolutely useless and has two MAJOR problems.​
a) If you are listening to spotify, when you change lanes, spotify pauses completely and you have to manually restart it.​
b) If you are on the phone on bluetooth, if you change lanes, the phone goes to half volume every time you change lanes. It's very annoying and makes this mod useless.​

#4) Double tap mute button camera

This is probably the most "buggy" feature, next to the light show. If you double tap, your volume still mutes. Sometimes you will be "stuck" in the camera mode when your volume is muted, so you actually can't get back to the radio screen and "unmute".​
The reason this happens (IMO), is because this isn't a "double tap" in a short succession. This is more "press mute twice", regardless of time interval. This causes so many glitches. I just drove around this morning with my backup camera on and on a phone call because I didn't want to mute an important call by accident and get stuck in a loop. Again, useless.​

#5) Change wheel size

I haven't done this yet, so I can't comment. From other forum posts, it I would assume this would work.​

#6) Lightshow

Obviously this is a gimmic, so you can't knock it - and it's actually why I found the Tazer in the first place - but turned out not to be the reason I bought the tazer (good marketing?). Couple things with this - it takes a few seconds to activate / deactivate the lightshow. Which, let's face it, you're going to try to use this thing while driving. I strongly suggest you DO NOT. The fun goes away real quick if you can't turn it off really quick and it takes a second or two (which may as well be forever when you want it off) to turn off. When you actually turn it off, your entire lights go out.​
Offroad use only. Otherwise, VERY COOL gimmick, that you'll use 3 times and forget about.​
That's it for my review. These are my own personal experiences and after about a week of usage.

Still worth it? Well... for the OEM LED Highbeam / lowbeam / fogs and Tire Size change and on occasion light show.. I'm not sending it back. I'm sad I can't use some of the advertised features however.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I live in Canada, and getting a Tazer JL Mini here ends up costing about $500 Canadian after exchange, shipping and duty, which is pretty hefty. So I expect things to work.

I understand that this is a "hack" - and obviously there are bugs and unexpected things are happening, so take this with a grain of salt - but here is my experience over the last week:

I purchased the Mini to do the following, and here is my review of the things:

#1) Code my OEM LED Headlight upgrade so the highbeams would work with the lowbeams and fog lights.

No issue, OEM LED works now with Highbeams and Lowbeams on.​

#2) Code my OEM LED Halos

I needed to add the OEM harness for my JLS, which I did. This coding does not work at all. Now, I'm not sure if this is the fault of the Tazer or actually Mopar (Dealer couldn't get it to work either), however, there is nothing on the Tazer site saying this doesn't work for 2019 models. I specifically bought this product to do this, it's advertised to do it, and it does not work.​

#3) Change lane camera

This was super exciting to have and another reason I was buying the Tazer - but turned out to be absolutely useless and has two MAJOR problems.​
a) If you are listening to spotify, when you change lanes, spotify pauses completely and you have to manually restart it.​
b) If you are on the phone on bluetooth, if you change lanes, the phone goes to half volume every time you change lanes. It's very annoying and makes this mod useless.​

#4) Double tap mute button camera

This is probably the most "buggy" feature, next to the light show. If you double tap, your volume still mutes. Sometimes you will be "stuck" in the camera mode when your volume is muted, so you actually can't get back to the radio screen and "unmute".​
The reason this happens (IMO), is because this isn't a "double tap" in a short succession. This is more "press mute twice", regardless of time interval. This causes so many glitches. I just drove around this morning with my backup camera on and on a phone call because I didn't want to mute an important call by accident and get stuck in a loop. Again, useless.​

#5) Change wheel size

I haven't done this yet, so I can't comment. From other forum posts, it I would assume this would work.​

#6) Lightshow

Obviously this is a gimmic, so you can't knock it - and it's actually why I found the Tazer in the first place - but turned out not to be the reason I bought the tazer (good marketing?). Couple things with this - it takes a few seconds to activate / deactivate the lightshow. Which, let's face it, you're going to try to use this thing while driving. I strongly suggest you DO NOT. The fun goes away real quick if you can't turn it off really quick and it takes a second or two (which may as well be forever when you want it off) to turn off. When you actually turn it off, your entire lights go out.​
Offroad use only. Otherwise, VERY COOL gimmick, that you'll use 3 times and forget about.​
That's it for my review. These are my own personal experiences and after about a week of usage.

Still worth it? Well... for the OEM LED Highbeam / lowbeam / fogs and Tire Size change and on occasion light show.. I'm not sending it back. I'm sad I can't use some of the advertised features however.
@footose

You post is laughable at best.

I encourage you, to reach out to ZAutomotive and ask for a refund..... or sell the Tazer JL Mini to someone.

I'll say no more.....but, yes, I'm still laughing at your ridiculous review..

You should have done your homework before purchasing!

OP
OP
footose

footose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
@footose

You post is laughable at best.

I encourage you, to reach out to ZAutomotive and ask for a refund..... or sell the Tazer JL Mini to someone. I'll say no more.....but, yes, I'm still laughing...

You should have done your homework before purchasing!
This is my honest review. I'm not sure why it's funny, I wasn't trying to be funny.

I'm not sure how to read your comment to be honest. My post is laughable because you think I'm wrong or because Tazer is laughable in general? I'm not sure why my review is ridiculous to you- or are you implying the Tazer is ridiculous for not doing the things it's supposed to?

As for the other "advertised features", they are absolutely not working as described by Tazer, at least not for me. I'm new here (and to Jeeps in general), so I'm not sure if your comments are sarcastic or what. I'm not sure its helpful to sell a product to someone else if its not working. At best, I would ask for a refund.

Anyway, I'm just sharing my experience and hope that it helps other people make a decision. Wether that decision is to buy or not buy, isn't what I'm pushing.

Last edited:

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
I personally would contact Zautomotive and see if your unit is on the latest firmware.

They have a update log where they put patch notes which include fixes or addition of features.

OP
OP
footose

footose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I personally would contact Zautomotive and see if your unit is on the latest firmware.

They have a update log where they put patch notes which include fixes or addition of features.
I'm on 11.2.1 according to the gauge cluster, which was the latest as of when I installed it last week. This review is for 11.21. i've updated it to include the version number

Sponsored

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I'm on 11.2.1 according to the gauge cluster, which was the latest as of when I installed it last week. This review is for 11.21. i've updated it to include the version number
I think the point was it would probably be a good idea to contact the company and see if they can help you with your issues before publicly speaking out about them. It could be a faulty programmer or it could be user error. Most everything I've read about them is they are very conscientious about having a happy customer.

OP
OP
footose

footose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I think the point was it would probably be a good idea to contact the company and see if they can help you with your issues before publicly speaking out about them. It could be a faulty programmer or it could be user error. Most everything I've read about them is they are very conscientious about having a happy customer.
I did contact them. They did not respond, but that has really nothing to do with this review imo.

This is a review of what it does and doesn't do, on the latest firmware. Not a slander against them.

I already said I'm keeping it based on what it does.

What's up .. did it sound like I was bashing it? I wasn't...

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I did contact them. They did not respond, but that has really nothing to do with this review imo.

This is a review of what it does and doesn't do, on the latest firmware. Not a slander against them.

I already said I'm keeping it based on what it does.

What's up .. did it sound like I was bashing it? I wasn't...
Noted... And for the record, I agree with you. If it is advertised to do a function, then it should do that. I've read other members that have experienced delays in hearing back, especially from emails (it's a small shop making and programming these things), but I got the impression that they got satisfaction once they did hear back. I'm betting that will be your experience also. Good luck with it.

WillysPGG

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jl Willys
This is my honest review. I'm not sure why it's funny, I wasn't trying to be funny.

I'm not sure how to read your comment to be honest. My post is laughable because you think I'm wrong or because Tazer is laughable in general? I'm not sure why my review is ridiculous to you- or are you implying the Tazer is ridiculous for not doing the things it's supposed to?

As for the other "advertised features", they are absolutely not working as described by Tazer, at least not for me. I'm new here (and to Jeeps in general), so I'm not sure if your comments are sarcastic or what. I'm not sure its helpful to sell a product to someone else if its not working. At best, I would ask for a refund.

Anyway, I'm just sharing my experience and hope that it helps other people make a decision. Wether that decision is to buy or not buy, isn't what I'm pushing.
I’m a canadian and liked your review.
Sponsored