Tailgate reinforcement Help!!

Njdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Just picked up a 2021 Willys and was looking to see what everyone is using for tail gate reinforcement and tire carriers. On my old JK I went with Teraflex but for the JL their set up is way to much money. I will be mounting a 17x9 Fuel Rebel with 35x12.5 Ridge Grapplers. If you have pictures of your set up please share. Thanks
Sponsored

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
I opted for the Hinge Gate Reinforcement from the factory when I ordered the Jeep. It must be a Mopar product. It’s been holding my 325/60R20 perfectly fine with the OE tire carrier. I have -19mm offset (4.76” backspacing) with a 10” wheel, so it’s away from the carrier a bit.

Heres the best picture I have of it…

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate reinforcement Help!! 28418C2A-CF66-48C9-B244-EF5713E5C1E8

From the above angle it doesn’t appear the third brake light doesn’t shine above the tire, but it does.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Just picked up a 2021 Willys and was looking to see what everyone is using for tail gate reinforcement and tire carriers. On my old JK I went with Teraflex but for the JL their set up is way to much money. I will be mounting a 17x9 Fuel Rebel with 35x12.5 Ridge Grapplers. If you have pictures of your set up please share. Thanks
In my opinion, the key is making sure you find an option that replaces or in some manner strengthens the factory hinges. If you dont do this you are just hanging more "reinforcement" weight off the same weak hinges. I use the Rugged Ridge Spartacus hinge replacement and HD tire carrier (https://www.extremeterrain.com/rugged-ridge-jeep-wrangler-spartacus-hd-tire-carrier-kit-1154655.html) and have been very happy with it. However, there are lots of other good ones out there.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I have a 19 sport with 35k miles. I used the rough country relocation bracket to bring the tire up to clear the bumper and extended the stops behind the tire to make sure they are tight against the tire. I am running Toyo open country ATII and black rhino Barstow wheels 35x12.5. I have had no issues at all with this setup. It is my daily driver and I wheel it once a month and I don’t mean fire roads. These tailgates are pretty stout.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The JL tailgate is much stronger than the JK tailgate. Just compare the hinges. I have seen zero posts here about a tailgate sagging or breaking due to the weight of 35s or even 37s on factory hinges.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Njdan

Njdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
In my opinion, the key is making sure you find an option that replaces or in some manner strengthens the factory hinges. If you dont do this you are just hanging more "reinforcement" weight off the same weak hinges. I use the Rugged Ridge Spartacus hinge replacement and HD tire carrier (https://www.extremeterrain.com/rugged-ridge-jeep-wrangler-spartacus-hd-tire-carrier-kit-1154655.html) and have been very happy with it. However, there are lots of other good ones out there.
Any cutting or drilling required for the Rugged Ridge hinges?

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I spent weeks looking at tailgate reinforcement options. My requirements were (1) solid support of heavy wheel/tire, (2) two antenna holes, and (3) no droop. :)

I ended up going with the Smittybilt HD tire carrier (7743). Several thousand miles, solid, very happy.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate reinforcement Help!! IMG_9390
Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate reinforcement Help!! IMG_9401

Last edited:

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
I had the Teraflex on my JK as well. I really liked it, it held up well. For my JL I went with the Teraflex again. Agree it is spendy, but I like that it extends almost the full width of the tail gate.

I looked closely at the Smitty Bilt and Rugged Ridge as well. I like that the Smitty Bilt can be angled if you have a fast back.

Right now my TFlex is just sitting in a box in my garage waiting for my JL to arrive. ETA the next week or two.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Rusty’s

Sponsored

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I have 37's going on in a couple of weeks and I am going with the Rugged Ridge Carrier. Looks pretty good and a decent value for the money relative to others.