Tailgate reinforcement

JeepNewb9

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUS
How necessary is the tailgate reinforcement? I’m about to have a 35x12.5r20 mounted and I’m just trying to see if it truly is necessary? It doesn’t look like it does anything for the actual hinge point. My wheel/tire combo I’m guessing with weigh about 110-120#.
Sponsored

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have the MOPAR reinforcement installed with the relocation stuff and I'm not happy with it (running 35s as well). It creaks and swings wildly. I purchased the Spartacus hinge replacement from RR and the Alpha HD carrier from Teraflex. Planning on installing them soon to (hopefully) fix things.

I would not put a 35 on the stock gate with nothing to support it

Chad1433

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen a few tailgate issues on our fleet with 35" tires on the back. Some have the Mopar kit and some do not. I was noticing that one of our vehicles w/o the Mopar kit had some rattling at the tailgate on-trail. We've seen some other little things like creaking, catching, non-fluid closing/opening. On my personal Jeep, I have a 33" tire and no reinforcement and it's smooth, no rattling.

I think Jeep is going to need to address this at some point because it is a problem. It's a lot of weight on long lever arm.

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
You need it. I did not do it initially when I went to 35's on my first JL. It ended up tweaking the tailgate pretty quickly. I was able to adjust it to stop the rattle after adding a Rusty's tailgate. But definitely was necessary.

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Mopar/Jeep Tailgate Reinforcement on my Jeep that I added as an option. My thoughts overall is its more/less a band aid to stall the inevitable change out to something more sturdier. Being new to Jeep ownership, I figured that it would be a smart add on knowing that modifications would come. After adding 35" on beadlocks, you can definitely feel the added stress on the hinge when it comes to opening and closing. It doesn't instill confidence for the long haul, especially when adding more weight to the tailgate area. Unfortunately, my end goal is larger tires and at some point it will need to go. If I could do it all over, I would have not ordered it as a factory option and saved my money. The cost of it could have covered a significant amount of the cost of an aftermarket system whether it would be a bumper mounted tire carrier or a system which it reinforces the hinge while adding the lateral strength to the tailgate. Anyways, sorry If I went off topic here. I guess I can say, yes you should, but don't go with the Mopar/Jeep version.
Sponsored