Sponsored

Tailgate reinforcement do we really need it?

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
Question if I use stock 18” rims and I’m putting 285/75 R18 nitto on I shouldn’t need longer bumpstops should I? If anything with the larger width of the tire and stock offset wouldn’t it be snugger to the bump stop? May be a stupid question but I’m putting these on next week and not getting the tailgate kit so don’t want to f this up.
I should be closer to the bumpstops. You may run into an issue with the wiper, depending on how much wider the tire is.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I sure don't need it. Not when the 315 sized KO2 rests a little on the bumper and takes some of the weight off of it. Those standard hinges appear to be much stronger than the JK and the tailgate has to be lighter, too. I'm putting a few more pounds on it today by installing a Tuffy Lockbox. I still don't think it will be enough to bother it.

tjrgsa

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2000 Camaro SS
Occupation
IT
FYI it looks like CrawlerConceptz is releasing their version. I will be going with this one since it can use the factory hinge locations. Just got my Rubicon and had upgraded wheels & tires to 35s (will post pictures at some point), and had upgraded the bumpers so was hoping to not have to resort to replacing the rear bumper and it looks like this should work. Just wanted to inform everyone. They said on Facebook they are releasing parts on the 22nd, I assume this will be one of them:

upload_2018-10-17_18-16-30.png

View attachment 100217

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Besides a bumper carrier, the best solution I have seen so far is the EVO hinge carrier. Not only is it a new standalone unit that replaces the factory brackets, it actually moves the tires TOWARDS the tailgate eliminating extra leverage. Having said that, I will still be running a bumper carrier for my 37.

tjrgsa

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Besides a bumper carrier, the best solution I have seen so far is the EVO hinge carrier. Not only is it a new standalone unit that replaces the factory brackets, it actually moves the tires TOWARDS the tailgate eliminating extra leverage. Having said that, I will still be running a bumper carrier for my 37.
Ah, thanks for posting that. Have been looking around for awhile for a solution outside of Mopar and hadn't seen anything from EVO until now. I'll definitely check that out as well as the Crawler.

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The crawler, while looking impressive, seems to add to the leverage problem as well. If that's the style you want, I'd just consider running a bumper carrier at that point.

tjrgsa

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
The crawler, while looking impressive, seems to add to the leverage problem as well. If that's the style you want, I'd just consider running a bumper carrier at that point.
Regarding leverage, you're referring to EVO's solution being tighter up against the tailgate correct?

Grabbed this picture of the EVO from another thread, even though the crawler only has the one image available, definitely won't be as close:

upload_2018-10-17_20-27-43.png

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correct, EVO's brings the tire closer to the tailgate almost 2.5".

tjrgsa

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Sold. At least this will allow me to keep the steel bumper upgrade from the factory. If I anticipated the tailgate dilemma, I would have passed on it and replaced the bumper instead. This is a good compromise. Thanks.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While the front steel bumper is fantastic, just do a little research about the rear. It actually does more harm than good, because when/if impacted, on road or off, it tweaks and ends up hitting the body, causing damage to the tub. Just be aware of it, and down the line, consider upgrading to any other steel rear you like.

Sponsored

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Regarding the parking sensors, do the lights in the mirrors still work if you remove the sensors with an aftermarket bumper or turn them off in the dash?
The blind spot in the mirrors and rear cross path detection stays on even when you switch the rear sensors off, which is a very good thing!

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Anenoso, What size spare tire are you running? There have been reports of people using less spacers on their spart tire relocation bracket, then some running less tire pressure in the spare. Thankfully this isn’t a problem that I have encountered yet
I have 35’s on the spare. Very interesting, I will try both and see if that works. I’ve been looking into the new EVO relocation bracket just to see if it will do the job with the sensors.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
re: the weight limit.
I thought I read in the OM today that the weight limit for the tailgate was 85 lbs *including* the weight of the spare? I’ll have to go back and check...

EDIT TO ADD: Found it. Page 412 of the 2018 Owners Manual.

"NOTE: If you have added aftermarket accessories to the
spare tire mounted carrier, it cannot exceed a gross weight
of 85 lbs (38.5 kg) including the weight of the spare tire."

(emphasis added)

While it is possible that Jeep is stating the carrier is the weak link and not the tailgate, I think it is more likely that they are talking about the carrrier/tailgate structure limit as a whole.

Last edited:

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
Rugged Ridge has come out with a bracket like Mopar. Anyone know if it is the same concept or like the Teraflex on a JK?

Swartz2017

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Durango, 2016 Cherokee 75th
re: the weight limit.
I thought I read in the OM today that the weight limit for the tailgate was 85 lbs *including* the weight of the spare? I’ll have to go back and check...

EDIT TO ADD: Found it. Page 412 of the 2018 Owners Manual.

"NOTE: If you have added aftermarket accessories to the
spare tire mounted carrier, it cannot exceed a gross weight
of 85 lbs (38.5 kg) including the weight of the spare tire."

(emphasis added)

While it is possible that Jeep is stating the carrier is the weak link and not the tailgate, I think it is more likely that they are talking about the carrrier/tailgate structure limit as a whole.
How does this make sense?
So the entire tailgate is to be under 85lbs?
At this point I’m running a 35” Duratrac in stock Sport S upgrade (graphite) wheel.
Had to put on the RC relo bracket to clear the tire- just those two items alone have got to be 100+ lbs.
and the Mopar kit won’t do a thing. Guess I need to look for new bumper/tire carrier combo quick!
Sponsored