Tailgate Latch Stop Bumper

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thank you to those in this thread who recommended this minor upgrade. No more squeaking/clunking anymore, loving this.
Sponsored

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
For those who haven't gotten yet, the BOFN Racing version is under $15.

Anyone know if Lowes carries the needed screws?

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
For those who haven't gotten yet, the BOFN Racing version is under $15.

Anyone know if Lowes carries the needed screws?
I had to order mine from Belmetric. Note the supplied bolts work, they are just not that strong. I upgraded to 10.9 grade (grade 8 SAE equivalent).

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Just got one of these for Christmas.

I am unable to close the tailgate with it installed. Do I need to adjust the latch too? Anyone else have any issues closing the tailgate with this setup?

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just got one of these for Christmas.

I am unable to close the tailgate with it installed. Do I need to adjust the latch too? Anyone else have any issues closing the tailgate with this setup?
It probably means that your tailgate is not hanging level--likely sagging. I had to loosen the hinge bolts and lift my tailgate.

The easiest way is to climb inside with a bright light and slowly close the tailgate and see what is happening.

I am betting you have to lift the tailgate a bit.

Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
It probably means that your tailgate is not hanging level--likely sagging. I had to loosen the hinge bolts and lift my tailgate.

The easiest way is to climb inside with a bright light and slowly close the tailgate and see what is happening.

I am betting you have to lift the tailgate a bit.
I just checked the gate, everything looks good there. I was able to close it slowly, then with a lot of weight and effort, push against the tailgate and get it to latch the last click. It won’t close any other way though, it’ll almost bounce as if something was in the way. Seems like I need just a tiny amount to make it click and close normal.

I went ahead and mounted my factory one back for now. It closes super tight with the factory mount and I’ve never had any issues. Just wanted to make it stronger. I may reattack again in the future.

Kevin_S1126

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Does anyone have any videos they can share of their install of this item as well as the adjustments that they are making to the tailgate?

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Would someone be willing to take a pic of the rubber on the tailgate itself? I’m curious if they added a piece of rubber to the 2021s. I noticed in the picture on Amazon that it doesn’t have that extra piece of rubber.

If you notice on the pic below, there is a flat piece of rubber under the curved part. Is this the same for the rest of the years?
Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Latch Stop Bumper 9F206A15-032B-43C7-9496-31835413B17F

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my 2019 and it looks the same:

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Latch Stop Bumper 20211226_151236

Sponsored

RDender

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara JL
@CarbonSteel
@others

Well,it's been 26 days and almost 900 miles, since I installed this add on ..... It has worked out really well, but I was having a rare/slight/minimal, metal to metal sound when on wash board roads.

I adjusted and adjusted and could not get that very slight, occasional, rare noise silenced....

SO, about about a week ago / 200 miles ago or so, I took a neatly cut to fit, stripe of 3M Heavy Duty, black Velcro... the furry side and placed it around the bump stop.

You hardly see the Velcro unless you look for it... Anyway, that totally stopped any metal to metal noise.. In closing this add on works with a tad bit of help lets say.... BUT, yes it works!

How is this setup still working for you and can you post a pic of where you added the velcro. Thx

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
How is this setup still working for you and can you post a pic of where you added the velcro. Thx
@RDender

Working great for me... won't be around my JL for a couple of days, so no can do pic today. DO see the pic below where I colored red exactly where I placed the heavy duty, extreme hold, black Velcro (furry side) to.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Latch Stop Bumper mmm

RDender

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara JL
@RDender

Working great for me... won't be around my JL for a couple of days, so no can do pic today. DO see the pic below where I colored red exactly where I placed the heavy duty, extreme hold, black Velcro (furry side) to.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Latch Stop Bumper mmm
Got it. I will try that as i am still getting a bit of rattle. Thanks

KNN

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Diesel
My rattle actually got worse after I installed a LOD tire carrier bumper, which took almost all the weight off the tailgate. @Rhinebeck01 how does yours latch compared to stock?

I was able to eliminate most of the rattle using the Furyengraver but at the expense of some factory smoothness when opening/closing the tailgate. I have to close w/ more force and the tailgate doesn’t spring open quite as much as before. It’s noticeable, even too my wife.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
My rattle actually got worse after I installed a LOD tire carrier bumper, which took almost all the weight off the tailgate. @Rhinebeck01 how does yours latch compared to stock?

I was able to eliminate most of the rattle using the Furyengraver but at the expense of some factory smoothness when opening/closing the tailgate. I have to close w/ more force and the tailgate doesn’t spring open quite as much as before. It’s noticeable, even too my wife.

@KNN

Well, the aftermarket latch knocked out say 95% of the rattles that happened on wash boards roads, speed bumps and the like.. After the install I still had the rare, slight rattle but remedied that with some extreme hold furry Velcro placed around the latch itself..

YES, when I close the tail gate, I have to push hard/push firmly in comparison to how I did with the stock latch. And no the tail gate does not have a spring open feeling to it like it did with the stock latch... Anyway, very quiet.. no rattling like with the stock latch.

Sponsored

Reactions: KNN