Tailgate Bumpstops?

dajuicejml

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
I have installed the Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement System along with the RC Spare Tire Relocation Bracket and the 2 mate up and are solid as a rock. This allowed me to mount my 37x13.50 to the tailgate safely. The set-up is solid as a rock and has 0 rattles, BUT there is some slight movement if I go over a large bump. My rubber bump stops are about 2" shy of touching the tire, so I'm trying to find something to provide a solid bumper for the tire to rest against. I know the Mopar relocation kit comes with new stops, but you can't buy those individually to my knowledge. I bought a set of the daystar extended bumpstops but they are so soft it's pointless. I did not trim them at all and just let them compress as I tightened the tire in place, but they literally are as soft as a nerf football. I'm sure different backspacing will vary in terms of how long those need to be to provide a solid backing, but does anyone have any ideas they can share?
Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
@dajuicejml ... Yup. I have your solution. I have dealt with this issue a few times. Most recently with my youngest Son's, JK.

You will do damage to your JLU if you don't get this issue taken care of!

Anyway, go to The Home Depot, Lowes, hardware store and buy one black rubber tip or some people call them stool feet. See pic below.

Also, buy yourself a length of 1 1/4" PVC pipe. Or a 6" in length+-, PVC pipe fitting The PVC pipe diameter has to be close to the same diameter as the hole in the stool foot.

Anyway, you cut the PVC pipe to the desired length and that piece (it will probably be say 3-4" in length) will plug right into / forcefully push right into, the factory JL tailgate bumperette (the bumperette has a hole in it) that was for the original spare.. Now, on the other end of the piece of PVC pipe you push on your black rubber stool foot. Don't glue things together.... there is no need to.

You'll have to play around with the length of the PVC piece until til you get it just right. You want the PVC piece to be long enough so that when you tighten down on the spare that the the spacer you just made up is nice and tight between bumper and tire. You want no movement. You want that spare to forcefully push against your spacer setup as you tighten the spares lugs.

That's it! Solution will cost you say $3.00+-. By the way, if you have an old cannister vacuum cleaner you can cut a few inches off the rigid tubing that hooks to the flexible hose. It works well..

By the way, you will be surprised how decent the thing ends up looking and it does do the job.

ft.jpg

jjj.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
dajuicejml

dajuicejml

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
Any pics of your set-up? Interesting concept, but I'd love to see a pic or 2. Thanks for the info!

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
On the JK 1-1/4" Garbage disposal hose(It's fairly rigid) fits inside the bumpstops perfectly.
I think this is what I used. Cut it to length and push it inside the factory bumpstops.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EASTMAN-1-1-4-in-x-2-ft-PVC-Disposal-Hose/1000365019
Worked great for 35's on the JK, a little hesitant to use the same method with heavy 37's on the JL.

There is another method that involves using hockey pucks that I've never tried, but seems sturdy(Search for hockey puck bump stops JK)

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
On the JK 1-1/4" Garbage disposal hose(It's fairly rigid) fits inside the bumpstops perfectly.
I think this is what I used. Cut it to length and push it inside the factory bumpstops.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EASTMAN-1-1-4-in-x-2-ft-PVC-Disposal-Hose/1000365019
Worked great for 35's on the JK, a little hesitant to use the same method with heavy 37's on the JL.

There is another method that involves using hockey pucks that I've never tried, but seems sturdy(Search for hockey puck bump stops JK)
Yup, your disposal hose is another variation of the way I suggested. Yes, your approach will work too. Unless, the hose is to flexible.

I know with the way I mentioned, when you look back behind the spare, all you see is the black rubber tip as the rigid plastic is inside the stock bumperette and the black rubber tip.

Regardless, the OP better do something quick...it's an easy $4.00+ fix... or tail gate sheet metal damage could very well happen at any upcoming big bump.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dajuicejml

dajuicejml

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
As mentioned, I already have the Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement System, so there is ZERO concern for damaging my Tailgate. It’s plenty stout for my application. Just trying to eliminate any possible movement.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
As mentioned, I already have the Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement System, so there is ZERO concern for damaging my Tailgate. It’s plenty stout for my application. Just trying to eliminate any possible movement.
Wrong ... that Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement System is not your ace in the hole unfortunately. WHY do you think they have a bumperette there? For looks...no. That spare needs to be rock sold firm back there or you risk sheet metal damage regardless of that pricey Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement System.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55

Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
That [Banned Site] guy on that other forum has a write up on how to do this with cheap Amazon hockey pucks.
Yes, guys do use hockey pucks too. But not that cheap and not that adjustable.

Below is a pic of what I was talking about. The pic is the stock/factory bumperette with a piece of PVC stuck into it. You then take a stool foot and put it over the end of the PVC so the PVC pipe end does not marr the tire. What's nice about this approach is that it is so adjustable. Just alter the length of the 1 1/4" diameter PVC pipe/plastic pipe you used. My suggested way costs about $2-3 and again very adjustable.

bump-stop-extensions-008-640x480.jpg

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Could someone take a pic of them in place at some point?
Looks like this, but the pvc piece,(cut to desired length) in the picture does not have the have the black rubber tip on it. Without rubber tip you risk marring of spare.. plus the black rubber tip hides the pvc.
Again, length of stop completely adjustable. Costs $3.00....

spare bumper1.jpg

OP
OP
dajuicejml

dajuicejml

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
I went and bought the supplies and did this tonight. Seems to work well. I went with plastic plugs rather than the stool style cap, but same approach. Thanks fat boy.

462A2315-14D8-4427-BDD3-580A3E9D9302.jpeg

91355FCB-1A02-4443-9BE4-7FC1046CC4C8.jpeg

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
I went and bought the supplies and did this tonight. Seems to work well. I went with plastic plugs rather than the stool style cap, but same approach. Thanks fat boy.
Great! .... looks decent too. Glad you did not delay and got'errrrr done.
Sponsored