Tailgate Brawlee LED light

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I’m working on a fully custom LED strip with magnetic reed switch so it will automatically turn on when I pull up the tailgate window and that dimmer switch is a pretty good addition, if it also fully turns off the power in addition to dimming it.
Sponsored

Tellurian

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Wrangler JLUR Ocean Blue (MT); ‘20 Grand Cherokee White; ‘12 Volvo C30 (MT)
Occupation
Analyst
I just ordered this same switch for my install. Looks like it has three wires - black, red, white. So, do I connect the black to ground, red to the supply (cigarette lighter), and white to the Brawlee light? Thanks!
It should come with an electrical map in the package and below is the setup I used when installing mine. Hardest part was finding an incandescent bulb and fan to hookup along with the LED. Kidding!

My one recommendation would be to buy some extra wiring so things don’t become so tight back there. This helps with two things: 1. more options on where to place the switch; 2. if you ever need to take that paneling off again, you won’t have to worry about ripping the wiring.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Brawlee LED light 1617045385448

Tellurian

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Wrangler JLUR Ocean Blue (MT); ‘20 Grand Cherokee White; ‘12 Volvo C30 (MT)
Occupation
Analyst
I’m working on a fully custom LED strip with magnetic reed switch so it will automatically turn on when I pull up the tailgate window and that dimmer switch is a pretty good addition, if it also fully turns off the power in addition to dimming it.
My three wire version shuts off power and it looks like @dpike confirmed the four-wire version does as well. There is an audible, and quite satisfying, click when turning the switch on or off.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My three wire version shuts off power and it looks like @dpike confirmed the four-wire version does as well. There is an audible, and quite satisfying, click when turning the switch on or off.
Awesome thank you! That good-feeling click is indication that it indeed does completely break the circuit, instead of just lowering the voltage enough where the LED shuts off.

Sponsored

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal JL Rubicon
Love this solution and will wire mine up when it gets in. Question, is there any trick to fishing the wire down with the other cables or can you just push it through on its own?

Also any need to disconnect fuses etc when stripping the wires to make connection since this is always hot?

Last edited:

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
Love this solution and will wire mine up when it gets in. Question, is there any trick to fishing the wire down with the other cables or can you just push it through on its own?

Also any need to disconnect fuses etc when stripping the wires to make connection since this is always hot?
i was able to just push the connector thru, maybe a little jiggling, but it wasn't a hassle.
i used one of these taps from amazon when i did mine. plug and play, didn't need to cut or splice into and OE wires.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Brawlee LED light 71VU%2B8dybIL._AC_SL1500_

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i was able to just push the connector thru, maybe a little jiggling, but it wasn't a hassle.
i used one of these taps from amazon when i did mine. plug and play, didn't need to cut or splice into and OE wires.
71VU%2B8dybIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Ah cool. Do you have a link? So assume one end connects to the OE 12v plug and switch then the other end the light bar wires terminate into?

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6

Sponsored

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
One last question. As you said one end to the 12v lighter, the other w/fuse to the led bar. The 3rd part (on the end where 12v lighter goes) is that where your switch terminates? Might be obvious but wanted to be sure.
the back of the 12v port has a clip where you can remove the wiring harness to it. the grey and white ends connect to those. so youre basically splicing inline this connector to the back of the 12v port and the harness that goes into it.

so the first end i mentioned has 2 connectors, a male and female, that inline splice into the existing wiring to the back of the 12v port, the other end after the fuse(little black box) connects to the led (but you'll need to use a switch or that dimmer otherwise it will always be on)

if you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82CJ7 22JLUR
Just heads up for any one who is recently installing a Brawlee light on newer JLUR.... my Brawlee light did not stick well to the Jeep tailgate plastic at all. Utter fail. Despite cleaning it very well with the supplied alcohol wipes. By the the time I gave up there was precious little sticky capability on the 3M tape on the light strip.

Contacted Done Right LED and Brad (Super Customer Service!) noted that perhaps some residue on the plastic on the newer JL's is causing a problem. Apparently I'm not the first with same issue. Suggested cleaning with water and a couple drops of Dawn dishwashing soap. In parallel, he immediately sent me a new strip of tape. Awesome!

I decided to actually lightly sand the JL plastic strip. Thoroughly cleaned with IPA and the Brawlee light stuck like magic. Prefect.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Just heads up for any one who is recently installing a Brawlee light on newer JLUR.... my Brawlee light did not stick well to the Jeep tailgate plastic at all. Utter fail. Despite cleaning it very well with the supplied alcohol wipes. By the the time I gave up there was precious little sticky capability on the 3M tape on the light strip.

Contacted Done Right LED and Brad (Super Customer Service!) noted that perhaps some residue on the plastic on the newer JL's is causing a problem. Apparently I'm not the first with same issue. Suggested cleaning with water and a couple drops of Dawn dishwashing soap. In parallel, he immediately sent me a new strip of tape. Awesome!

I decided to actually lightly sand the JL plastic strip. Thoroughly cleaned with IPA and the Brawlee light stuck like magic. Prefect.

You can also get a adhesive promoter that will help.
Sponsored