Sun Visor Fix

patternman

First Name
George
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
Might work. I used a jewelers file since that was what was around and you can see in the picture it put the corner right where I needed it when the file was on the flat of the baseplate boss. I gave some thought to threading the tube with a fine thread,but I didn't have a fine thread die. I think a 5/16"- 48 special fine thread would work very well. I gave some thought to making some tooling to make quick, consistent work out of this. But, it really isn't a service that a lot of people would need.
I got push on retainers from Ace hardware. They didn't work for me because the outside diameter was too large. For those that do this fix I recommend they order the retainers from Amazon that @roaniecowpony linked to. Since the retainers I used didn't work I manufactured a couple shaft collars for my fix. Thanks to @roaniecowpony for this very detailed fix.

visor1.jpg

IMG_20200129_145341.jpg

IMG_20200129_131925.jpg

IMG_20200129_164118.jpg

Advertisement

No IFS

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 Door / 2022 V8 JT Gladiator Mojave
I got push on retainers from Ace hardware. They didn't work for me because the outside diameter was too large. For those that do this fix I recommend they order the retainers from Amazon that @roaniecowpony linked to. Since the retainers I used didn't work I manufactured a couple shaft collars for my fix. Thanks to @roaniecowpony for this very detailed fix.

visor1.jpg

IMG_20200129_145341.jpg

IMG_20200129_131925.jpg

IMG_20200129_164118.jpg
You could probably sell those , great idea

OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

visor1.jpg

That should hold up great. That actually was the first direction I went. Frankly, I was looking for a solution everyone with a belt sander and a file could do.
IMG_20200129_145341.jpg

IMG_20200129_131925.jpg

IMG_20200129_164118.jpg

patternman

First Name
George
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That should hold up great. That actually was the first direction I went. Frankly, I was looking for a solution everyone with a belt sander and a file could do.
I like your fix better for the simplicity. It's just that the push on clip I used kept popping off the tube. I think the edge of larger diameter was hitting the hole in the frame and coming off the tube. Every time I installed the visor I could hear it pop and the visor would fall. It had a great hold when I tried to test pull it off it held fast and I pulled hard. I just didn't want to order & wait for clips.

Trulyoldnavy

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep wrangler JL 2 Door Sport S
Excellent ideas here. I have one suggestion to add to the mix. Since you are filing a groove in the shaft instead of using the push-on retainers, a snap ring might work well. This would eliminate the need to disassemble the connector and make the whole repair much quicker.

My drivers side just broke and I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. If they try to claim it is not covered by the warranty I am going to try this using a snap ring.

OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Excellent ideas here. I have one suggestion to add to the mix. Since you are filing a groove in the shaft instead of using the push-on retainers, a snap ring might work well. This would eliminate the need to disassemble the connector and make the whole repair much quicker.

My drivers side just broke and I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. If they try to claim it is not covered by the warranty I am going to try this using a snap ring.
A snap-ring has more precision requirements for the geometry of the groove in order for it to work as designed. The groove has to have a square configuration for the snap-ring to take axial load. The only way I know how to get the groove precision for a snap-ring is to machine it. There also is the issue of the wall thickness of the tube being adequate to have a snap-ring groove machined in it. Manufacturers of snap-rings have drawings with the dimensions and tolerances on their websites. I've machined a lot of snap-ring grooves in a past life.

The design of the push-on retaining washer is much more forgiving for the groove geometry and high retaining forces are much easier to achieve with a hand filed groove.

james_fnp

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

visor1.jpg

IMG_20200129_145341.jpg

IMG_20200129_131925.jpg

IMG_20200129_164118.jpg
Was the bore 8mm with your shaft collar fix? If not, what size? Thanks.

OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The tube that the visor is built with is .312". That's 5/16" in fractions. 8mm is .315". That's within one RCH unit. For this application, a collar of either 5/16" I.D. or 8mm I.D. will work the same.

patternman

First Name
George
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I linked to the 8mm collars in case there was any variation in the tube. When I manufactured my collars I bored the metal I used with a letter O drill bit which is .316 give or take. Drill bits don't bore a precise hole, when going for precision one would drill small and ream to size.

fmooneyham

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler
It seems the sun visors are breaking like Chinese toys after Christmas. I found a thread in the Issues, warranty, repairs section of the forums. Mine failed about a couple months ago. I deferred taking it in to a dealer until it was early December. The service lane writer told me they'd need to take it apart to see what was wrong and maybe order a part. He said I'd have to leave it. I left the dealer annoyed. Later, I realized it just went out of warranty for this kind of stuff.

Later, I looked up the part on the internet seller's sites. This visor is nearly $400 online with discounts. Given that the OEM design sucks, I wasn't going to buy another just like it. I wanted to make it better if I could repair it.

I finally took it apart a week or two ago. Here's a picture of the detached retaining ring, allowing the tapered shank of the visor to drop out.
20200118_154947.jpg
What a great post. As I am waiting to hear from Jeep about a new visor, I have attempted to fix it with tie wraps to keep it from falling down. You idea is great, as you are right, a new one will eventually break too. I have tried to alert Jeep of this being a safety issue, but I think I'll give up and fix it as you did. Thanks for the detailed pictures.

fmooneyham

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler
Thanks for the tips on how to fix this. Our Jeep dealer has ordered a new visor for us. I have tried to make them aware that this is a potential safety hazard, not just a convenience issue. If the new one breaks, then I will fix it as you have shown, as it is just a very poor design from Jeep. I'm surprised there is not a recall on this and a factory fix. Our Jeep is a great vehicle, so I am really surprised by this weak designed part.

visor1.jpg

IMG_20200129_145341.jpg

IMG_20200129_131925.jpg

IMG_20200129_164118.jpg

visor1.jpg

IMG_20200129_145341.jpg

IMG_20200129_131925.jpg

IMG_20200129_164118.jpg

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Retired
Great post and looks like a much better option than getting another visor that will do the same thing. What a crap design.

My visor literally came off in my hand.

OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Great post and looks like a much better option than getting another visor that will do the same thing. What a crap design.

My visor literally came off in my hand.
Yeah, I could hardly believe it when I saw the way it was designed. I spent a week or so thinking about the fix. I've been using my repaired visor quite a bit, since the sun is still low in the sky. I think it will hold up well and it costs nearly nothing for the parts. A little bit of skill is required to reduce the height of the boss on the baseplate. But anyone with some basic skills can get it done.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Retired
Update: I went to the local hardware store and found an 8mm shaft collar. I used a flap disk on my angle grinder to take down the mounting boss for the collar. Worked great and now my visor is fixed.

Thanks again.

Advertisement

JTopsUSA

Advertisement