Sun Visor Fix

WillyExplorer816

First Name
NANCY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited S Willys
Reassemble the wiring pins into the connector using the photo you took before you removed the pins from the connector body. (I told you)

Route the harness into the slots in the back side of the visor baseplate. Install the visor with the 2 screws. Locate where the push retainer should be taped on the harness to match the hole in the rollbar. Tape it on. Plug in the harness. Fold the harness so it fits neatly under the cover and tape the fold of the harness. Replace the rollbar cover. Put your top back together. Done.

That retainer should hold for this use. One manufacturer of these claims 900 lbs of retaining force for this size. Other makers claims are lower, but still way up above what should be adequate and way above the plastic OEM POS.
I used this interior panel tool for helping to press the push on retainer.

P.S. thinking about it, a 9/16 deep socket would work well to press the retainer on the shank too.
20200120_141504.jpg
Thank you for the excellent and detailed info. I’m a newbie and just bought a used 2020 JLU Willys and my drivers visor plastic snapped off with wires hanging. I wasn’t going to pay the exorbitant dealer fees. I’ll give it a try!
Sponsored

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
Thank you for the excellent and detailed info. I’m a newbie and just bought a used 2020 JLU Willys and my drivers visor plastic snapped off with wires hanging. I wasn’t going to pay the exorbitant dealer fees. I’ll give it a try!
No need to go that route any more as $7.50 will get you a permanent fix for both visors:

The Original TACCOM Compatible Heavy Duty Aluminum Sun Visor Clips(2) for Jeep 2018 and Newer JK, JL, JT Gladiator and Wrangler https://a.co/d/0nOkfdL

Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 41ILBrbN4kL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm the originator of this repair. But shortly after I came up with this fix, a brilliant guy came up with the TACCOM tabs. They are far easier to do. But, if you're intent on doing my fix, I can tell you it's still holding up after several years now.

pfletcher229648

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR w/SOT, 2024 JLUR X w/SOT(On Order)
Occupation
CIO
Two Wranglers, 2022 and 2024, neither has experienced a broken visor mount. However, the $15 it costs to buy the Taccom two screw fix for both is cheap insurance. Most likely the cheapest most practical thing I’ve bought for the Wranglers.

WillyExplorer816

First Name
NANCY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited S Willys
I'm the originator of this repair. But shortly after I came up with this fix, a brilliant guy came up with the TACCOM tabs. They are far easier to do. But, if you're intent on doing my fix, I can tell you it's still holding up after several years now.
You sound pretty brilliant yourself ! Appreciate
your taking the time to reply and share your depth of knowledge with others! Tysm

Sponsored

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
I used your repair two years ago and it held up great. But when the passenger side broke a few months back I threw the TACCOM on both just for drill...

LHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU, Rivian R1S, '99 Cherokee XJ
@roaniecowpony I read your first post and didn't read any further...your fix works great! But I kind of wish I had jumped to page 29 and just bought these....But thanks for the DIY!

Take57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Sport S
Two Wranglers, 2022 and 2024, neither has experienced a broken visor mount. However, the $15 it costs to buy the Taccom two screw fix for both is cheap insurance. Most likely the cheapest most practical thing I’ve bought for the Wranglers.
Are the 2024 mounts the same as models prior? I've not seen any 'repair kits' that specifically reference to the 24's. Cheap insurance or unneeded insurance?

pfletcher229648

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR w/SOT, 2024 JLUR X w/SOT(On Order)
Occupation
CIO
Are the 2024 mounts the same as models prior? I've not seen any 'repair kits' that specifically reference to the 24's. Cheap insurance or unneeded insurance?
The 2024 visor mounts appear to be exactly the same as the 2022.

I look at it this way:

Taccom visor bracket - $15.

Time to install visor bracket - 10 minutes.

Not receiving a phone call from my wife, driving home from work, with a visor dangling in her face the whole way - Priceless.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Take57

2024 is no different then other model years.

Go with the original " Taccom" offering and not with one of the many knockoffs.
Since your visors are presently aok, go with the single Taccom. Buy here. They are selling for 70% off right now!

$ well spent.... yes, very cheap insurance.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 616L07U6DzL._AC_SL1500_

Take57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Sport S
Thanks. I don't have any issues with the price or the time spent installing, just wanted to make sure there hadn't been any changes in the 24's that would make the part redundant.

Off to Amazon I go...
Sponsored