Sponsored

Stop/Start Not Ready-Battery Charging

JJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara 2018
Amazing thing happened. After waiting almost 3 hours for the vehicle, the service writer tells me they ordered an auxiliary battery. I said "the service manager said there isn't one". To which the service writer said they found one under the main battery and it is bad.
Is it under the main battery?

I had a similar issue - but the car occasionally wouldn't start either. Svc Mgr said they tested both batteries and both were bad - just over 2 yrs old on a 2018 JL.....fortunately just under 36k miles so replacing both under warranty
Sponsored

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
So I read through several pages and finally skipped to the end, but does anyone know what the long battery test is? I had the dealer to the one where you pop the hood and they do the test real quick and he said it told him to do the long test something like 3 hrs? I'm thinking its some kind of load test but I'm not really sure.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
So I read through several pages and finally skipped to the end, but does anyone know what the long battery test is? I had the dealer to the one where you pop the hood and they do the test real quick and he said it told him to do the long test something like 3 hrs? I'm thinking its some kind of load test but I'm not really sure.
If the battery doesn't pass the first test, they need to verify it's fully charged by charging it. I suspect the 3 hrs is for putting it on a charger to make sure it's charged.

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
If the battery doesn't pass the first test, they need to verify it's fully charged by charging it. I suspect the 3 hrs is for putting it on a charger to make sure it's charged.
Lol I had just driven about 30 miles over to the dealer with it at about 14.2 volts. It should have been plenty charged if it was any good. I know it charges because I have a tender that I put it on on the way to work its in the high 12's. But after it sits for about 8 hrs in the parking lot at work the whole way home it never gets back below 14 volts. My drive is about 25 miles. I just don't think one of the batteries holds a charge. I fact before I bought the battery tender I had forgotten that the system operated below 14! :CWL:

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I was having ESS Not Working issues, too. It kept saying it was charging. Most here said I needed a new ESS battery. Well, the dealership said the batteries were fine, and replaced the "Intelligent Battery Sensor" . After that, and a good trickle charge, and the issue never occurred again.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLJeepGuy513

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 2016 Pathfinder
Occupation
Civil Engineering Designer
Wow! funny, I started this tread about 18 months ago. They replaced both batteries and all was well until yesterday! Its back again!! how annoying. I was sitting at a light with the message start stop not enabled battery critical, and not even a few seconds later I get an email notification that someone posted to this thread with the same issue. I despise going to the dealer since all the ones here always give me a hard time.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Lol I had just driven about 30 miles over to the dealer with it at about 14.2 volts. It should have been plenty charged if it was any good. I know it charges because I have a tender that I put it on on the way to work its in the high 12's. But after it sits for about 8 hrs in the parking lot at work the whole way home it never gets back below 14 volts. My drive is about 25 miles. I just don't think one of the batteries holds a charge. I fact before I bought the battery tender I had forgotten that the system operated below 14! :CWL:
This is not normal for a smart charging system, the entire JL charging system is a joke and poorly designed and is a joke at best, should be just a single larger battery with an alternator but they have added that ESS motor cycle battery along with the IBS and the relay that opens and closes as needed during an ESS event .......

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm getting this on my 18 with just under 18k miles. Hybrid system isn't working at all, apparent on standing starts and shifts. I had the warning a few weeks ago, but it seemed fine after that. I just spent a few nights in the mountains (20*-30* at night) and now the ESS is won't work at all. Taking it in Tuesday.
Wow! funny, I started this tread about 18 months ago. They replaced both batteries and all was well until yesterday! Its back again!! how annoying. I was sitting at a light with the message start stop not enabled battery critical, and not even a few seconds later I get an email notification that someone posted to this thread with the same issue. I despise going to the dealer since all the ones here always give me a hard time.
Is this concern still present for you both? If so, please private message our team separately with more details, we would be happy to assist.

Kate
Jeep Cares

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have they checked the Intelligent Battery Sensor??

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLJeepGuy513

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 2016 Pathfinder
Occupation
Civil Engineering Designer

SLK RCK

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Add me to the list. 2021 3.0 with 6700mi. Started off with Uconnect warning and stop/start not ready, but ESS still worked. Took it to the dealer today and they changed the IBS and charged the batteries. When they were done, started the jeep and now I get something like "stop/start not available battery charging," and the ESS doesn't work. They said it was in calibration mode and if it was still doing it in 3-5 days, bring it back. I asked about mileage to get sufficient charge, he said it wasn't mileage related to clear the message, just needed starts and stops, normal routine driving. I'm skeptical, to say the least since new vehicles don't have this error, but we'll see. @JeepCares

Last edited:

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I was having ESS Not Working issues, too. It kept saying it was charging. Most here said I needed a new ESS battery. Well, the dealership said the batteries were fine, and replaced the "Intelligent Battery Sensor" . After that, and a good trickle charge, and the issue never occurred again.

Oh brother, thank you for this post. My '20 is saying the same thing. I'm always hesitant to roll into a service dept. for an electrical issue without at least a minute idea of what's happening. This time I'll be able to say the right words to the Service Writer so they won't start "rotating the tires" when they come up empty trying everything else. :)

I do like this forum. Have a problem, and more times than not the good folks here can help.

Last edited:

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Add me to the list. 2021 3.0 with 6700mi. Started off with Uconnect warning and stop/start not ready, but ESS still worked. Took it to the dealer today and they changed the IBS and charged the batteries. When they were done, started the jeep and now I get something like "stop/start not available battery charging," and the ESS doesn't work. They said it was in calibration mode and if it was still doing it in 3-5 days, bring it back. I asked about mileage to get sufficient charge, he said it wasn't mileage related to clear the message, just needed starts and stops, normal routine driving. I'm skeptical, to say the least since new vehicles don't have this error, but we'll see.
After the IBS fkx, I put mine on a lengthy trickle charge, over a few days, and the issue went away.

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
My "Start/Stop" function stopped working for about 4 months. Didn't really miss it so I didn't do anything about it. After reading this thread I assumed it was due to taking mostly short trips and not giving the aux battery a chance to re-charge. Finally took an hour and half drive out to some trails this weekend and low and behold it kicked in again. So the highway driving thing worked.
Sponsored