Sponsored

Stop/Start Not Ready-Battery Charging

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
For the passed year my commute has be like 7 miles each way, so its really short, the start stop feature stopped working, it always would say charging, I took a semi long road trip and now it works fine

Windmutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
I gave us a good try this week. The issue did not fix itself just as I was told after a new battery, software update, and new sensor.

I am hoping to not get the same message the next time I pick the car up.

Planning to drop the car off Sunday night for the 6th time in 6 weeks. Hoping to get some resolution this time as the $25 Uber trips are adding up!

IMG_6556.jpeg

TeleJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6sp M
My JLU Sahara 6-sp Manual was an FCA demonstrator that I bought "Certified Used" from a CJRD dealer and the Stop/Start would only work after several days of highway driving. It would always say "Battery Charging....." I ignored it since I didn't like the feature anyway. At a long stoplight or RR crossing, I'd drop it into Neutral, let out the clutch (save the throwout bearing), and the Stop/Start would never work. I did worry that there was something wrong with either of the batteries or the charging circuit. I took it to the dealer, they ran tests, and both batteries were bad. They replaced both batteries (under warranty) and the Stop/Start works within a few minutes of starting the vehicle, even on short trips. It also cranks faster on startup even after the vehicle sits for 2-3 days. My guess was that the vehicle sat undriven for a few months before it was sold to the Jeep dealership where I bought it and perhaps the batteries were allowed to discharge..... So now I have to remember to hit the cancel auto stop start button when I start the vehicle, but know I have two good batteries.

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
My Jeep (15,000 miles) has been in the shop, continuously, for almost two and a half months. The current problem is the ESS; the system is not charging the auxiliary battery. Both batteries have been replaced and so has the related wiring harness. It still will not charge the aux battery. When I spoke to the mechanic, a week ago, he was confident it was the wiring harness, I told him if he fixed it he would be the first because even Chrysler doesn’t know what the problem is. So another week has gone by, without a resolution...

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
My Jeep (15,000 miles) has been in the shop, continuously, for almost two and a half months. The current problem is the ESS; the system is not charging the auxiliary battery. Both batteries have been replaced and so has the related wiring harness. It still will not charge the aux battery. When I spoke to the mechanic, a week ago, he was confident it was the wiring harness, I told him if he fixed it he would be the first because even Chrysler doesn’t know what the problem is. So another week has gone by, without a resolution...
Did they check the ESS high capacity fuse? It may have been shorted when they changed the batteries?

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Did they check the ESS high capacity fuse? It may have been shorted when they changed the batteries?
I don’t know if he checked the fuse, but after thinking about it, I got the feeling he was throwing parts at it when he changed the wiring harness; how hard is it to check the wiring harness for continuity, after it’s been removed?

Windmutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
All I know is they are taking apart the entire electrical system per corporate. Will let everyone know what they figure out. Obviously it’s an issue that happens a lot and corporate has no answer.

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
All I know is they are taking apart the entire electrical system per corporate. Will let everyone know what they figure out. Obviously it’s an issue that happens a lot and corporate has no answer.
That would be a big help. Since it is not likely to be faulty batteries, sensor, wiring harness, fuses, or current software up date (as those have all been tried without complete success) I wonder what they will find? Probably a glitch inside the pcm that tells the aux battery not to charge, under certain conditions.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Can you Lemon Law the vehicle over this? ESS is something that they put in these vehicles in order to get their emission and MPG numbers for the EPA. This is critical to that system, as opposed to something like a radio.

Sponsored

Windmutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Day 1 of week 2 and they still haven’t identified the issue. At this point I think I deserve a loaner car.

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Day 1 of week 2 and they still haven’t identified the issue. At this point I think I deserve a loaner car.
Yes you do, they do not know what is wrong, or how to fix it. My dealer gave me a loaner after a week.

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
They could be.. my 2013 motorcycle still has it’s original battery, and my electric driveway gate batteries last at least two years; they are both similar to the Jeep aux battery.
Sponsored