Sponsored

Stop/shut off feature?

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys/17 Ram 1500
Hey guys, still waiting on my build to get completed. Quick question... keep hearing of this feature that when you stop at a light, the engine would shut off and restart when you go take off. Tell me this doesn't happen with our engine and if it does, tell me there's a tune out for this.

Thanks
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Hey guys, still waiting on my build to get completed. Quick question... keep hearing of this feature that when you stop at a light, the engine would shut off and restart when you go take off. Tell me this doesn't happen with our engine and if it does, tell me there's a tune out for this.

Thanks
Yes, it happens on all engines. And yes, it can be bypassed.

There are two types: ESS & eTorque/BSG. Many people actually end up liking the smoothness eTorque system and leave it on.

144treks

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU 3.0L Diesel, 2006 Liberty 2.8L Diesel
Last edited:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
There’s a button on the dash that disables it. It must be disabled every time you restart the vehicle. If this is too much, there are devices you can buy such as the Tazer that allow you to disable it until further notice.

Sponsored

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
If you ordered an engine with the e-Torque upgrade I’d suggest just leaving it on.

OP
OP
ItsNo4RE

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys... thats my first mod to buy
You can turn that "Feature" off with this. https://www.zautomotive.com/product/tazer-jl-mini/

I am also waiting for my build. I am getting the above, the soft peddle fix (https://www.hikeit.com/product/hike...ler-jl&engine=all-engines&m_year=2018-onwards) and the pcv oil catch can (https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/jlt-oil-separator-3-0-base-kit/) ordered and here before the beast arrives.

Semper Fi,
Steve
There’s a button on the dash that disables it. It must be disabled every time you restart the vehicle. If this is too much, there are devices you can buy such as the Tazer that allow you to disable it until further notice.

OP
OP
ItsNo4RE

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you ordered an engine with the e-Torque upgrade I’d suggest just leaving it on.
Hopefully I didn't as I don't view that as an upgrade in any way, shape or form.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I have a 2021 2.0 without eTorque and don't find the ESS to be that bad. It was far worse on my 3 previous cars with it, can barely feel it on the Wrangler. Most times I barely even notice it start back up.

On my previous 2020 Subaru Outback it would shake the entire car, or cause it to lurch forward if it restarted while stopped at a light. Plus you had to go 3 levels deep into the touch screen to disable it, at least on the Wrangler it's a nice physical button to turn it off.

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I have a 2021 2.0 without eTorque and don't find the ESS to be that bad. It was far worse on my 3 previous cars with it, can barely feel it on the Wrangler. Most times I barely even notice it start back up.

On my previous 2020 Subaru Outback it would shake the entire car, or cause it to lurch forward if it restarted while stopped at a light. Plus you had to go 3 levels deep into the touch screen to disable it, at least on the Wrangler it's a nice physical button to turn it off.
The ESS on eTorque is really good and very smooth.

On non eTorque, it is decent.

On 3.0L Eco-diesel, it works great too, but I turn it off when I am doing some high speed highway driving and expect to stop at the exit's traffic light. I feel a little insecure about the turbo being hot and shutting off the engine under this situation - even though I don't think stopping for a couple of minutes is not going to have any negative effect with synthetic oil.