Steering wheel wobble?

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Thanks for the advice. I will have them check the alignment.

They did say they checked the torque, but l will check out the cotter pins.

Love the Jeep, but this is really frustrating. My wife nor daughter dare drive it (kinda a good thing - but not really)
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The new steering stabilizer came in and the dealer installed it Thursday. Problem solved! It feels great again. No wobble, at all. We'll see if this one goes the distance. If not, I'll go with the Fox 2.0. I'm betting they've fixed whatever the issue was with the failing units, though.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Got a call too, my stabalizer is in and gets installed early next week.

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I highly doubt a stabilizer is gonna fix mine. The dealer already put in an aftermarket one and it still does it. Also I feel even if their new one fixes it for now, it’s only a matter of time before whatever is causing the wobble gets worse and it comes back again.

traviswalker007

First Name
Tony T Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Hello,
I was in the same boat guys!! 2in Mopar lift with 37in tires and after lift installed i had some bump steer, not complete death wobbel but bad bump steer when I hit a pot hole, RR crossings ect. I took it to my local off road shop and they went thru it top to bottom and set my caster and camber up a little different than what Mopar had on there lift specs and tightened everything down and the issue went away. Fast forword 2 months later and almost over night sever death wobble to the point were I had to slow down to get it to stop. I checked everything steering related and even wheel weights and nothing. So I decided to drop it off at Jeep for my track bar weld recall and first 4600 mile service. I told the service advisor that I had bad death wobble and to see if the tech could trouble shoot it. They had my jeep for a day and I was called and said it was ready for pick up and that the weld passed the inspection. My service advisor informed me they changed oil, rotated tires and the bump steer issue was normal on lifted jeeps? so i bit my tongue and proceeded to review the service paperwork I was given and I noticed that they billed out 6qts of oil and not 5qts, I asked the service guy if he new how many quarts the new pentastar takes and he said 6??? at that point i was like WOW!! really dude. He looked it up and it said 5qts so his response was ya they prolly put 5 in and just billed for 6??? Im not sure if FCA even monitors the dealerships or even regulates the skill level of anyone employed there but I will never take my jeep back to that dealer again. Now back to the death wobble, after calling my off road guy he wanted me to bring it back up so he can go thru it again and after running thru a few ideas on the phone with him here is what I did.

1. I looked for sever pot holes, un-even pavement transitions, and RR crossing. Each time I hit one I was between 30 and 45mph, and each time the wheel would shake, but I noticed after a few times you could almost feel a pulsing in the wheel as it shook, like maybe air pockets it felt really strange and instead of slowing down i shook the wheel faster than what the wobble was creating almost trying to fight it and sometimes it would slow the shake down. To me this felt every bit of either the steering box or the stabilizer.

2. After reading the forums on the stabilizer I was not convinced, how on earth could a steering stabilizer cause death wobble? so I decided to throw on the Fox 2.0 stabilizer tonight after work, I hit the same areas as I did with old stabilizer and I shit you not so far so good. Im really beginning to think the factory stabilizer is not valved enough to give the electronic steering box enough input to run 37" in tires and the valving is set so precise that any additional stress on it will cause erratic responses. Im not sure if there is just a bad batch of these going out under 7k miles but to me and after reading all the info on this forum I have to agree the stabilizer is truly the culprit in this scenario.

If it was not for forum members and this type of community Im sure we would all be chasing our tails trying to find answers!!

Thanks everyone for helping me find the issue!! so far so good

Sponsored

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
My replacement stabilizer came in and they are replacing it tomorrow. I am skeptical, but we will see.

I have over location where I can reproduce it at will with it in cruise at 33mph, so I will know immediately.

Sting-Gray AJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, Sting-Gray
My replacement stabilizer came in and they are replacing it tomorrow. I am skeptical, but we will see.

I have over location where I can reproduce it at will with it in cruise at 33mph, so I will know immediately.
You should be skeptical. I got my Sahara back 12/1/18 with a new stabilizer. Everything was good for 2-3 weeks then the wobble came back. Took it back in 1/3/19 and the service advisor said EVERY replacement stabilizer has come back in to be replaced again. :computerrage:

Good news - they gave me a new JL loaner with only 13 miles on it. Bad news - It’s almost 2 hour round trip. Last time it took 12 days to get it back.

swigmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Hey guys,

Thanks for the read, my JL has had this wobble and it has gotten worse over the last two months (bought in July). Wife told me tonight on her way to work it shook for half the trip, probably an exaggeration, but still enough for me to make a call tomorrow about it.

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Ive had both my drag link and steering stabilizer replaced which helped at first... Now the wobble is back just as bad as before.

I cant believe so many people are having this issue and theres still no solution. :-(

Sting-Gray AJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys,

Thanks for the read, my JL has had this wobble and it has gotten worse over the last two months (bought in July). Wife told me tonight on her way to work it shook for half the trip, probably an exaggeration, but still enough for me to make a call tomorrow about it.
Ive had both my drag link and steering stabilizer replaced which helped at first... Now the wobble is back just as bad as before.

I cant believe so many people are having this issue and theres still no solution. :-(
I got my Sahara back yesterday with my second replacement stabilizer. The service advisor said this one has a new part number so hopefully this one will last as the previous one went bad within 1000 miles.
I do have to say Ralph at Szott Jeep in White Lake MI has been wonderful to work with on this frustrating issue. He kept me updated via text on both replacements and was candid.

Sponsored

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Just got my Jeep back with a new stabilizer. I noticed on the paperwork that it said "TSB", so FCA must have issued a TSB for it.

Anyway, shake is much better, I'm still going to swap the stock with my Tereflex Nexus when it gets a bit warmer out.

Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Just got my Jeep back with a new stabilizer. I noticed on the paperwork that it said "TSB", so FCA must have issued a TSB for it.

Anyway, shake is much better, I'm still going to swap the stock with my Tereflex Nexus when it gets a bit warmer out.
Good to hear. Can you please look on your paperwork and let us all know the actual part number of the stabilizer?

Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I got my Sahara back yesterday with my second replacement stabilizer. The service advisor said this one has a new part number so hopefully this one will last as the previous one went bad within 1000 miles.
I do have to say Ralph at Szott Jeep in White Lake MI has been wonderful to work with on this frustrating issue. He kept me updated via text on both replacements and was candid.
Hi. Can you please look at your paperwork and post the full part number of the new stabilizer? I had my second replaced about a month ago and want to see if it matches yours. Thanks.

Sting-Gray AJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to hear. Can you please look on your paperwork and let us all know the actual part number of the stabilizer?
Hi. Can you please look at your paperwork and post the full part number of the new stabilizer? I had my second replaced about a month ago and want to see if it matches yours. Thanks.
Will do when I get home today.

Sting-Gray AJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)