Sponsored

Steering wheel wobble?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I had my appointment at my local dealer on Friday. I tried to hit every drainage grate dip on the highway on my way home (well after rush hour). NO WOBBLE so far. The steering stabilizer was replaced in about 1 hr. I feel much safer on the road, and I appreciate everything @JeepCares has done to help expedite my request. @JeepCares really cares.
:angel::handsinair:
Sponsored

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Ugggghhh. Add me to the list. 11k miles, delivered February 7th. Now that it is cold, getting the wobble consistently on the highway when i go over the overpass seams and even as low as 33MPH on some manholes on the hill up to my home.

I donā€™t get the build date as mine was built well before others who have ā€œlower build dateā€ on their stabilizier.

7C9C5093-FCE1-4505-9B18-58D503E84006.jpeg

Last edited:

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Ugggghhh. Add me to the list. 11k miles, delivered February 7th. Now that it is cold, getting the wobble consistently on the highway when i go over the overpass seams and even as low as 33MPH on some manholes on the hill up to my home.

I donā€™t get the build date as mine was built well before others who have ā€œlower build dateā€ on their stabilizier.

7C9C5093-FCE1-4505-9B18-58D503E84006.jpeg
Is it lifted or non-lifted? That is very odd about the date code. The steering stabilizer still may have gone bad although it might not of been from the "bad batch". Have you had the torque checked on all of the steering and suspension components (track bar bolts, steering stabilizer bolts, ball joint nuts, etc.)? Something loose might cause the steering stabilizer to go bad.

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Mopar 2ā€ with 35ā€™s. Have had no challenges until the last 10 days or so.

I have checked some bolts myself, but I need to take it in for the whole ā€œcheck it outā€ from what I am experiencing.

Sponsored

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
Spoke with the dealer this morning, they heard back from Engineering. Basically what Chrysler told them was that they were "aware of some conditions in the steering" (or something along the lines of that), and told the dealer to check the torque on everything and look for damage and release back to the customer... I then asked, "So basically, they said they didn't know how to fix it and return a broken vehicle to me?" - yep pretty much... Service rep said that there were some changes that they could try in the steering based on the cold weather, but he even said I brought it in before it got very cold.

Waiting to hear back but this is feeling pretty absurd...

He said I was the first one to come in with the issue, and since then they have had 3 more with similar issues.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Spoke with the dealer this morning, they heard back from Engineering. Basically what Chrysler told them was that they were "aware of some conditions in the steering" (or something along the lines of that), and told the dealer to check the torque on everything and look for damage and release back to the customer... I then asked, "So basically, they said they didn't know how to fix it and return a broken vehicle to me?" - yep pretty much... Service rep said that there were some changes that they could try in the steering based on the cold weather, but he even said I brought it in before it got very cold.

Waiting to hear back but this is feeling pretty absurd...

He said I was the first one to come in with the issue, and since then they have had 3 more with similar issues.
That info about checking torque, etc. is in this document dated October 10th: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-142#post-426243

Also, this may help. Did they check the date code on the steering stabilizer? https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-wheel-wobble.16577/page-8#post-436030

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
That info about checking torque, etc. is in this document dated October 10th: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-142#post-426243

Also, this may help. Did they check the date code on the steering stabilizer? https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-wheel-wobble.16577/page-8#post-436030
Thanks for that first link. They actually replaced the steering stabilizer and it still had some wobble. Took it back and now I'm in limbo again.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks for that first link. They actually replaced the steering stabilizer and it still had some wobble. Took it back and now I'm in limbo again.
What else did they do besides replace the steering stabilizer?

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Dropped mine off at the dealership this evening. Iā€™ll share my experience and outcomes.

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
After replacing my steering stabilizer and track bar to after market products, I still have a little over half an inch of play on both sides when steering wheel is set to dead zero.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
After replacing my steering stabilizer and track bar to after market products, I still have a little over half an inch of play on both sides when steering wheel is set to dead zero.
How much was the amount of play on both sides before you replaced the steering stabilizer and track bar (or no difference)? And did you replace them with OEM versions or aftermarket?

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
How much was the amount of play on both sides before you replaced the steering stabilizer and track bar (or no difference)? And did you replace them with OEM versions or aftermarket?
The track bar is a Yeti XD and the stabilizer is a Falcon. I'd say it helped a little bit in terms of play on the steering wheel but still not great. I torqued both products to spec as well as my ball joints. Sitting stationary, I can turn the steering wheel slightly and see the tires turn properly....I'm guessing steering box at this point. I like finding this stuff out on my own rather than waiting at the dealership for hours and then have them tell me..."Nothing's wrong".
Sponsored