Sponsored

Steering wheel wobble?

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
I think in one of your past posts you said your OEM steering stabilizer wasn't in the problem range, right? Either way, it still could be a failed steering stabilizer (vs in the bad batch). A replacement steering stabilizer (OEM or aftermarket) has fix several other who mentioned the steering wheel wobble problem (non-lifted and lifted). But first, have they manually (not visually) checked the fasteners in the steering and suspension? Meaning the ball joint nuts, shock bolts, steering stabilizer bolts, track bar bolts, etc. for the proper torque? If you turn your steering wheel all the way over, you can visually see the ball joint nuts. Check the cotter pins. If they are bent perfectly as installed by a factory robot, then they haven't checked the torque on the ball joint nuts. If they have, they will look manually bent by hand.
You know I haven't checked that. I'll be sure to take a look. I just need to track down the torque values ahead of time. Thanks.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You know I haven't checked that. I'll be sure to take a look. I just need to track down the torque values ahead of time. Thanks.
A PDF of the torque specs are here.

Sponsored

Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Hi everyone. A quick update. I sent an email to the dealer’s service manager explaining the wobble which developed over the weekend and sent him a picture of my steering stabilizer which has a date stamp of “151” which indicates it should be replaced. He didn’t even ask me to bring the Jeep in for inspection – just said he immediately ordered the new stabilizer (which is now on back order) and will replace on warranty when it’s in.

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Hi everyone. A quick update. I sent an email to the dealer’s service manager explaining the wobble which developed over the weekend and sent him a picture of my steering stabilizer which has a date stamp of “151” which indicates it should be replaced. He didn’t even ask me to bring the Jeep in for inspection – just said he immediately ordered the new stabilizer (which is now on back order) and will replace on warranty when it’s in.
When was your Jeep built if you don't mind me asking?

#HERJL18

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Work Hard - Play Harder
Update on my death wobble...

After being contacted by a fellow JL DW survivor with a fix, I took his advice and DW is gone and my JL drives awesome so far.

I've been running the Mopar 2" lift with 37" KO2s for 7K miles and then got death wobble which got worse and more frequent with time. I had a front alignment done, rotated and balanced tires twice, torqued everything to spec and tried every PSI in the tires I possibly could. This did nothing and Jeep couldn't get me into Service for a few weeks. So we purchased and installed Metal Cloak track bar and and control arms. We adjusted the caster to 6 and that helped some. I was still getting wobble but it was no longer resulting in the need to pull over like it had been. I was then informed about the steering stabilizer issue and mine was 071 stamped. I ordered the Teraflex Falcon Adjustable SS and put it on Saturday. Jeep drives like a dream now and all forms of death wobble are officially gone.

I know there are many guys on this forum and FB that are saying it is not the steering stabilizer and that just masks the problem, but I have practically replaced the suspension with a brand new one and the only thing that fully worked is the stabilizer. And if there is a star case out there telling Jeep Service to replace and those replacements are working, then it has to be part of the solution on the JLs.

BTW - I am still going to take my bad stabilizer into Jeep and have them give me a new one. I'll just keep it in case I ever need a spare.

Sponsored

SpringsJL

First Name
Cage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
I’m having some issues the M3 on end is different than picture

E2D3C625-6BC9-4220-B7D3-A67DE1B5E315.png

Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Does anybody know what exactly is wrong with the identified stabilizers?

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
I don't know but seeing as multiple reports are coming in all of a sudden I'm thinking its possibly related to ambient temperature.

Chewbacca2264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Just a quick update, my service manager called today told me that they are going to reimburse me for the stabilizer I purchased and offered to install it for free. Since it just arrived today I am taking them up on the offer and they are installing it in the next couple of days. FYI I bought the Falcon Nexus 2.2 that so many have had success with. Yeti track bar to go on over the weekend once I drive the Jeep with the stabilizer......want to evaluate each part as I put them on.

Chewi
Sponsored

Last edited: