Steering issues....solved!

Jasonep

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon Unlimited
I have a 2019 JLUR. From the beginning the steering wasn’t right. I had wandering and a significant dead spot at the top. Driving it was tiring due to the constant adjustments required.
First I tried the mopar lift LCAs. No improvement. Then I installed the alpine adjustable LCAs and a teraflex track bar. Some improvement as caster was at 6.8, but still difficult. Then I did a teraflex steering dampener. No difference. Lastly I tried the sector shaft brace. No improvement.

During each of those mods I was taking it to the dealer complaintabout the steering and letting them know what I was doing to try to fix it. They kept telling me it was normal, which I knew was ridiculous. After my last mod, I brought it back to the dealer with the same complaints. Finally the service manager agreed that something wasn’t right.

After some cajoling, they put in a new steering box. the steering is now tight and right, as it should be. I’m glad this odyssey looks to be complete. My Jeep now steers fine.
Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Was this a different fix than the V41 recall? My 2019 Sport had it done before I picked it up, and has never has a problem.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Was this a different fix than the V41 recall? My 2019 Sport had it done before I picked it up, and has never has a problem.
V41 was a steering stabilizer replacement, he had the steering box replaced.

GerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have a 2019 JLUR. From the beginning the steering wasn’t right. I had wandering and a significant dead spot at the top. Driving it was tiring due to the constant adjustments required.
First I tried the mopar lift LCAs. No improvement. Then I installed the alpine adjustable LCAs and a teraflex track bar. Some improvement as caster was at 6.8, but still difficult. Then I did a teraflex steering dampener. No difference. Lastly I tried the sector shaft brace. No improvement.

During each of those mods I was taking it to the dealer complaintabout the steering and letting them know what I was doing to try to fix it. They kept telling me it was normal, which I knew was ridiculous. After my last mod, I brought it back to the dealer with the same complaints. Finally the service manager agreed that something wasn’t right.

After some cajoling, they put in a new steering box. the steering is now tight and right, as it should be. I’m glad this odyssey looks to be complete. My Jeep now steers fine.
You should post up the steering box part number so we can see what revision it might be.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher

Sponsored

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Some boxes are no good. My JT’s steering box was also replaced by the dealer. I went from a 1.5 in dead spot to hardly any play. It’s a joy to drive now. I was able to get this done without all the drama. Here’s what I recommend:

1. Take a video on a straight road from the driver’s seat that shows the steering wheel and the road. Move the wheel to one side of the dead spot and hold and then to the other side and hold while the Jeep continues straight. (If you can’t make a video like this, a new steering box probably won’t help you.)

2. Explain to the service advisor that you understand how a Jeep should drive (follows the road camber, bounces different over bumps, blows in the wind, slow response with large sidewalks, etc.), but your Jeep has a real problem.

3. Very Important: Ask for their senior steering, alignment, suspension technician and make it clear that you’re willing to wait for them to be available.

4. Suggest the steering has too much play and refer to star case #S1819000003. They have access to a wealth of information on this topic. However, be careful not to do their job for them to avoid a confrontation. You’re trying to head off the “it’s normal for a Jeep” response.

5. Escalate to managers only as a last resort.

6. After a steering gear box replacement, check your steering fluid for a few days. Mine dropped quite a bit due to trapped air.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Happy to hear you got things resolved.

But it shouldn’t take numerous visits and a fair bit of arm-twisting to get dealers to do their f*cking job. Especially on a $50,000 vehicle!

Tens of thousands of Jeep owners have been experiencing this issue for the past three years. But unless one is willing to argue and coerce dealers into fixing the damn thing, most won’t even lift a finger.

At this rate, FCA is either going to have to issue a massive recall, or in a matter of time it will face a massive class-action suit.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
Glad to hear you're right now. I'm going to have to head down this path myself soon.

OP
OP

Jasonep

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon Unlimited
My original build had the ae steering box. I’ll see if I can see what the new one is. I believe that some of these boxes are just bad from the factory.
Thanks for the heads up on the fluid.

GZilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
My original build had the ae steering box. I’ll see if I can see what the new one is. I believe that some of these boxes are just bad from the factory.
Thanks for the heads up on the fluid.
Same experience I had (minus the mods, I have a 2020 JLR bone stock), shipped with the AE box when I took delivery in August. Dealer replaced my steering box 2 months ago with the same AE version (currently AE is the most current), night and day difference. Steering is solid now.
If I remember right it was diagnosed as excessive play in the spool valve.

So to be clear part number of the replacement box was the same as the original.

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Happy to hear you got things resolved.

But it shouldn’t take numerous visits and a fair bit of arm-twisting to get dealers to do their f*cking job. Especially on a $50,000 vehicle!

Tens of thousands of Jeep owners have been experiencing this issue for the past three years. But unless one is willing to argue and coerce dealers into fixing the damn thing, most won’t even lift a finger.

At this rate, FCA is either going to have to issue a massive recall, or in a matter of time it will face a massive class-action suit.
Vehicles of all prices have issues. And the wrangler isn't a $50k vehicle. If you have a $50k wrangler it's still a $30k vehicle with $20k worth of options. It might sound like semantics, but it isn't.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yes. Mine was ae to start with and the new one is ae. It was just a bad box.
Thanks for your posts.
I don't understand why this problem hasn't been resolved by Jeep for everyone with steering issues.
Sponsored