Sponsored

Steering Damper replacement recall - successful?

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
I got the alert mentioning I have a recall regarding fixing the Steering Damper.

I have a 2019 Moab. Yes, I used to experience a very unsteady & shaky drive when my tires PSI were high after I bought the car from the lot. Ever since bringing the PSI down, the steering has significantly improved. At high speeds 70mph+, it can get unsteady. But, I rarely ever exceed speeds of 70mph.

Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ve just adapted to the ā€œloose steeringā€ of the JL, or if it just doesnā€™t even exist.

My question is, to those who got the steering damper recall, did it help?

Feedback on whether I should even bother getting the damper/stabilizer fixed?

Feedback is appreciated!
Sponsored

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
I got the alert mentioning I have a recall regarding fixing the Steering Damper.

I have a 2019 Moab. Yes, I used to experience a very unsteady & shaky drive when my tires PSI were high after I bought the car from the lot. Ever since bringing the PSI down, the steering has significantly improved. At high speeds 70mph+, it can get unsteady. But, I rarely ever exceed speeds of 70mph.

Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ve just adapted to the ā€œloose steeringā€ of the JL, or if it just doesnā€™t even exist.

My question is, to those who got the steering damper recall, did it help?

Feedback on whether I should even bother getting the damper/stabilizer fixed?

Feedback is appreciated!
The steering damper was replaced on our jeep while it was part of the dealers inventory. When I bought it ,it was brought to my attention that the V41 recall was performed. There has always been some play in the steering, a dead spot if you will, but the damn thing tracks beautifully when you let go of the wheel at speed. We have gotten used to it . Still not sure if this is what Jeep intended. I would get the recall done. Hey, it couldnt hoit !

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
My damper replacement for V41 recall fixed wobble. Steering feels much tighter and doesn't wobble over the exact same road inputs and bumps that it did prior to replacement. Will it last? Time will tell. I had last damper replaced and it lasted several thousand miles before acting up and receiving the V41 recall in the mail.

Howi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
Well I got mine just after the recall was done so canā€™t compare but I feel it isnā€™t 100% right

Above 60mph it just wanders all the time, not horrendous but keeps you awake! , I came out of a BMW SUV though which was as straight as a dart, you could drive without touching the wheel on a good road

My dealer have escalated the issue for me so I am just waiting now

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well I got mine just after the recall was done so canā€™t compare but I feel it isnā€™t 100% right

Above 60mph it just wanders all the time, not horrendous but keeps you awake! , I came out of a BMW SUV though which was as straight as a dart, you could drive without touching the wheel on a good road

My dealer have escalated the issue for me so I am just waiting now
If it doesnā€™t help, then I would suggest you get a quality equal force steering stabilizer, and upgrade your track bar. The oem track bar is so light weight it really doesnā€™t work that well. I know what youā€™re probably saying, itā€™s brand new they should make it right. Well if you wait for that to happen youā€™ll never get to enjoy your rig, lol.

I personally took matters into my own hands the day I pulled it in the driveway from the dealership . I wanted this Jeep, this new platform, so I wasnā€™t going to let something I knew I could fix keep me from having it, even if I had to pay out of pocket.

But thatā€™s just me, I know everyoneā€™s different and look at it differently, and thatā€™s ok, nothing wrong with that at all. Anyway, just my .02........enjoy your new rig.......oh...and donā€™t call it a car, the elders are listening........:)

Last edited:

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I've had mine on for a week and a half and I can say I can really tell a difference. Now, personally, the previous steering play did not bother me. Hell, I even taught my daughter to drive and she used the JL to take her driver's license test (and passed). I've had my Jeep since Christmas, and when I picked it up after the recall I could tell a difference just driving in the parking lot! There's very little play in the steering, where as before I probably had a good 2-3 inches (an inch to inch and a half either side of center).

Am I happy with it? I guess so. I was fine before. Will it last? Meh, I'm not worried about it, honestly. If I don't like how it feels later, I'll just do as @Roky and others have done and go aftermarket. But nothing wrong with taking it to your dealer and see for yourself:like:

Howi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
All good advice, I just want to make sure I am at least how it was intended from factory, then I can improve if required

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've had mine on for a week and a half and I can say I can really tell a difference. Now, personally, the previous steering play did not bother me. Hell, I even taught my daughter to drive and she used the JL to take her driver's license test (and passed). I've had my Jeep since Christmas, and when I picked it up after the recall I could tell a difference just driving in the parking lot! There's very little play in the steering, where as before I probably had a good 2-3 inches (an inch to inch and a half either side of center).

Am I happy with it? I guess so. I was fine before. Will it last? Meh, I'm not worried about it, honestly. If I don't like how it feels later, I'll just do as @Roky and others have done and go aftermarket. But nothing wrong with taking it to your dealer and see for yourself:like:
Agreed. If it doesn't last this time I am going aftermarket too!

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
Had mine replaced today by the dealer. The steering is tighter and the wheel moves less over the road. So far, it seems like an improvement.

Sponsored

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
I got the recall in the mail last week. I havenā€™t noticed or had problems with steering or wandering since I lowered my tire pressure to 37psi. Iā€™ve had my Jeep for over a year and wondering if I need to have the recall done myself.

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
Mine is tighter after install, drives better. I wasn't complaining before, it drove like a jeep.

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
For yā€™all that had your V41 recall done, (steering damper replaced). Did the dealership also flash your pcm?

I replaced my steering damper way before the recall and my wandering issues and loose steering were unaffected. When I got the recall notice, I brought my 19jl rubicon to dealer and told them about the loose steering. Well, they flashed my pcm and Iā€™ll be damned, my rig tracks straight, no wandering, and tight steering. No shit!

Howi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
For yā€™all that had your V41 recall done, (steering damper replaced). Did the dealership also flash your pcm?

I replaced my steering damper way before the recall and my wandering issues and loose steering were unaffected. When I got the recall notice, I brought my 19jl rubicon to dealer and told them about the loose steering. Well, they flashed my pcm and Iā€™ll be damned, my rig tracks straight, no wandering, and tight steering. No shit!
Seriously? , why, electronic steering ? Hope mine is that simple !

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I beleive there is TSB on the Track bar and the new Steering stabilizer. THe new track bar has higher durometer bushings.

I ddint have any issues with my sahara (wife drives it), but I opted to install the steer smarts Track bar and the Falcon 2.1 adjustable steering stabilizer. Also did the Northridge Grade 8 shoulder bolts on all the control arms and front and rear track bars.

It made the feel much better and even going over washboard roads improved the steering. My wife even commented that it feels more planted.

I would invest in the SM Track bar and the Falcon and be done with any issues.

I have a rubicon on order and will be doing the same.
Sponsored