OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
This is true whether your driving a Wrangler with a steel bumper or a $12,000 Nissan Versa.

Usually if you rear end someone, it is ALWAYS your fault for not maintaining a safe distance, speed limit is 0 and some other stuff like that. I have never heard of someone not getting a ticket for rear ending someone.

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
*** The question is, can the OEM stamped steel bumpers offer the same protection as the aftermarket plate steel construction? Probably not.
Not as good as aftermarket, but worlds better than regular plastic ones. But the nice thing it's easy to replace at home in a garage. Or, get some cheap welder to fix it up. Ugly but functional.

Last edited:

Sponsored

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Back to the bumpers..its a pretty decent deal for the factory bumpers if you like the looks.. There will be better options both in price and quality if you want to search and install.

captainjack

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Anyone know how much the steel rubicon bumpers weigh versus the stock JL Sport S bumpers. Was thinking of adding them to my Sport but wanted to know if the weight would be an issue

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Back to the bumpers..its a pretty decent deal for the factory bumpers if you like the looks.. There will be better options both in price and quality if you want to search and install.
Most people sell the bumpers on forums for more than they cost a factory option, so there's that. Unless you just cant afford it, it would be unwise to skit the steel bumper option. Also would suck getting into a fender bender on the way home from the dealer before you had a chance to put on your big aftermarket bumper lol.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone know how much the steel rubicon bumpers weigh versus the stock JL Sport S bumpers. Was thinking of adding them to my Sport but wanted to know if the weight would be an issue
If memory servers, the plastic bumpers are around 20lbs or so without hardware/brackets/hooks and the steels are around 55.

Sponsored

crash13

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I added the steel bumpers, had a very clean look especially with a winch in it
Asking this again since I haven't seen a response yet. If you add a winch, but are in a locale where you have to have a front license plate, where does it go?

Jtimbrook

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A
Asking this again since I haven't seen a response yet. If you add a winch, but are in a locale where you have to have a front license plate, where does it go?
They make an adapter that fits over the fairlead, some you have to remove and others are flip open.

170233.jpg

This one is from Rugged Ridge on the Quadratec page.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
I am in PA so I don't have to deal with this but you will likely need a bracket. Like this https://www.quadratec.com/p/maximus...MIwYKI_vTr2AIVQ7XACh3ofQWHEAQYASABEgLFZ_D_BwE
I have seen better ones that cover the fair lead and flip up. You can google those.
IF you're wondering how the dealer deals with it, I don't know. I would discuss that before delivery to make sure they don't drill extra holes. There is a removeable front plate that JEEP may have designed to work with any front minting plate. Again that I don't know, just guessing.

captainjack

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
If memory servers, the plastic bumpers are around 20lbs or so without hardware/brackets/hooks and the steels are around 55.
Thanks for this info. I had upgraded bumpers on a Freedom Edition 2016 and think they saved my son’s life when he totaled the car in a single car accident (he walked out and the car was totaled with axle cracked and wheels off the car) and am thinking of upgrading.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I live in NJ, which requires a front plate, but I dont run one. Have never been hassled by a single cop, ever. Cops like jeeps, they dont mess with them, it's not a riced out civic.
Sponsored