Sponsored

Steel Bumpers

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
In order to be a better option must beat all catagories...isnt that the way its measured??

Sorry, Mopar is engineered, tested and proven I strongly disagree on the aftermarket stuff
So the Mopar wins in the weight category only, and that somehow means it's superior to the aftermarket options that win every other category? I just ordered a stubby bumper from LOD for $590 that's actually winch ready. Another $270 for the skid plate (actually a skid plate, not plastic), fairlead, license plate and LED mounts. LOD, ACE and Poison Spyder have lifetime structural warranties on their bumpers. It's not even a debate.

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
So the Mopar wins in the weight category only, and that somehow means it's superior to the aftermarket options that win every other category? I just ordered a stubby bumper from LOD for $590 that's actually winch ready. Another $270 for the skid plate (actually a skid plate, not plastic), fairlead, license plate and LED mounts. ACE and Poison Spyder have lifetime structural warranties on their bumpers. It's not even a debate.
Ok fine whatever...you win.

I'm out :ninja:

Last edited:

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Regarding the OP's question, I was in a similar position. Do I want to spend almost $1300 on the Mopar steel bumpers (which I did like) plus another $250 for the winch plate, or skip that and go aftermarket.

Quick comparison:
Mopar steel bumper package: $1295 (per Jeep.com when I ordered)
Mopar winch mounting plate: $250
Total: $1495
-Removable ends, can be Stubby or normal width
-Still has a plastic skidplate for Sway bar
-Accepts LED fogs

Other options I looked into:
Front:
Motobilt Crusher Stubby with winch bar and integrated submerged winch mount: $668 (+ shipping)
Source: https://www.motobilt.com/product/jeep_jl_front_bumper_wbull_bar_crusher_2018_wrangler_jl
-All steel, including protection for Sway bar
-No separate pieces
-Submerged winch mount, integrated winch plate
-Does not accommodate fog lights (can be modified, will require fabrication skills)
-Needs paint

DV8 FS15 Stubby Front Bumper with LED fog lights :$595 (+ shipping for bumper and skid)
Source: Bumper: https://www.extremeterrain.com/dv8-...stubby-front-bumper-w-fog-lights-2018-jl.html
Lower skidplate: https://dv8offroad.com/collections/...d-plate-sway-bar-disconnect-skid-spjl-01-2018
-All steel, including protection for Sway bar
-separate lower skidplate piece
-integrated winch plate (sits on top of the bumper, mounts higher- not something I'm a huge fan of with this generation of Jeep, but not a total deal breaker)
-accommodates fog lights
-Comes painted (I believe)

ROAM Off road slimline front bumper with bull bar: $499 (+shipping)
Source: http://www.roamoffroad.com/product/roam-jl-front-bumper-jeep-wrangler-jl/
-All steel, including integrated skid plate protection for Sway bar
-Submerged winch mount, integrated winch plate
-Supposedly best approach angle of all bolt on bumpers (claim made on website, dimensions listed there)
-Does not accommodate fog lights (can be modified, will require fabrication)
-Comes painted

Rear:
Roam Off road swing out tire carrier and bumper: $688 (+Shipping)
Source: http://www.roamoffroad.com/product/roam-jl-tire-carrier-rear-bumper-jeep-wrangler-jl/
-Steel
-Includes Swingout tire carrier
- includes Hitch (Class 4 hitch with 2 other, smaller hitches for "hitch mounted accessories" like bike racks, etc).
-Comes painted

In my own research and decision making, My concerns were design (Submerged integrated winch mount, stubby, and a good approach angle), functionality, cost-effectiveness, mostly bolt on, and solid construction. I was looking for Aluminum for weight savings and rust resistance but that threw cost effectiveness right out the window most of the time. Admittedly, I'm down to Motobilt or ROAM for the front and ROAM for the rear. I'll be getting the front fairly soon after taking delivery, but the rear I'll probably wait until I upgrade tire size. After setting up my comparison spread sheet I did see the LOD bumper and I liked that one as well, but someone else already mentioned it.

Also: RE: Aftermarket quality, etc. Construction stats for most of those bumpers are listed in the description on the source links. at a Cursory comparison, they are on par with, if not better than most of the Mopar bumpers. This isn't taking into consideration financing or corrosion warranty, or the ability to change from a stubby bumper to a full width bumper. I know some people like that but personally, I don't care- I'd rather have a solidly built bumper that as long as I do my maintenance on will hold up. The Warn on my current TJ has lasted me over a decade and 2 Jeeps driving through the nasty upstate NY winters and some of the hardest trails I could get to on 33's in the Northeast.

Hope this helps OP. There are lots of options out there.

EDIT: Spelling and clarification

Last edited:

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
Come on be serious.....and dont say that because Lite Brite has video on it, they put there rig through what a rock crawler should be doing.
[Banned Site] also did a video complaining about it. He went with no bumper at all, in the end, rather than risk further damage to the body where the stock steel bumper was rubbing.

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Come on be serious.....and dont say that because Lite Brite has video on it, they put there rig through what a rock crawler should be doing.
Not to beat a dead horse, but "should" is a very subjective term here. To be honest, If i was able to set my Jeep up on 38's, I'd be doing much of the same, maybe a little less of the top end stuff as I don't live near those trails... but I'd still give something similar a go.
Yes, it's my daily driver
Yes, it's going to be north of $40k
Yes, It's kind of crazy. But I'm both confident in my abilities and my rig. Budget and time constraints prevent me from going to 38's and doing more serious trails.

It's all about line choice and driver experience. I've out-wheeled (They had to be recovered and make multiple attempts, I did not) much larger and more build Jeeps with my TJ's, never more than a 33" tire. You'll never compete with a buggy when you're driving a full bodied rig, but that's like comparing a Honda Civic SI on the dealer lot with an F1 Car. if you're careful, and smart, and have a properly built rig, you'd be shocked at the places it can go with no damage (especially stock).

That said, just as there is a flurry of responses that "NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO BEAT AND DESTROY THEIR JEEP" every time the question is raised when people aren't doing hardcore wheeling- The same must be said and understood of the opposite: Not everyone is going to use their Jeep for easy stuff and daily driving. Some of us will take that risk and go big- for adventure, for the challenge, and for the fun of it, and our use cases and criteria will be inherently different.

Vawildjeep

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2 1/2” stage 2 Icon lift 37” Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 20” Fuel Beasts.
Occupation
Business owner
Vehicle Showcase
Getting my Rubi this week w steel bumper group. Are there any threads and/or pics of all the possibilities of add ons for it? LMaybe looking at a guard with lights mounted at some point.

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Not to beat a dead horse, but "should" is a very subjective term here. To be honest, If i was able to set my Jeep up on 38's, I'd be doing much of the same, maybe a little less of the top end stuff as I don't live near those trails... but I'd still give something similar a go.
Yes, it's my daily driver
Yes, it's going to be north of $40k
Yes, It's kind of crazy. But I'm both confident in my abilities and my rig. Budget and time constraints prevent me from going to 38's and doing more serious trails.

It's all about line choice and driver experience. I've out-wheeled (They had to be recovered and make multiple attempts, I did not) much larger and more build Jeeps with my TJ's, never more than a 33" tire. You'll never compete with a buggy when you're driving a full bodied rig, but that's like comparing a Honda Civic SI on the dealer lot with an F1 Car. if you're careful, and smart, and have a properly built rig, you'd be shocked at the places it can go with no damage (especially stock).

That said, just as there is a flurry of responses that "NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO BEAT AND DESTROY THEIR JEEP" every time the question is raised when people aren't doing hardcore wheeling- The same must be said and understood of the opposite: Not everyone is going to use their Jeep for easy stuff and daily driving. Some of us will take that risk and go big- for adventure, for the challenge, and for the fun of it, and our use cases and criteria will be inherently different.
Your response is exactly why the Mopar steel bumpers are the best bang for your money.

Crash tested, good for on road and off, end caps removable, light, high quality AND price, etc etc.

Those after market bumpers are mostly designed strictly for offroad use. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Totally agree on your reponse.

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Disagree. The factory option costs $1495 with the winch plate. For that amount of money, there are better options in every category listed except high speed crash ratings.
For both bumpers though?

That's a great price for what you get come on guy

Sponsored

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Depends on one's use, but the "protection" offered is limited and it has no built in provision for a receiver you could actually tow with. It's not simply the mounts....though if one is going to set it up to actually tow, it would be wise to gusset the frame in additional places and even the aftermarket bumpers aren't going to do that. Not to mention the departure angle isn't anywhere what it could be and the aesthetics are lacking (just personal opinion there). Yet more reasons to do it yourself, IMO.
Yeah but your, again, talking about custom modifying the rig.

I'm talking as is all around

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
For both bumpers though?

That's a great price for what you get come on guy
That cost is in addition to the plastic bumpers. Again, the rear bumper is worthless. I’m glad you are enjoying your Mopar bumpers. For the rest of the world there are much better options. I’ll gladly sell you my Mopar set so you can have a spare set of the best bumpers in the world.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
B/c it explains why you're defending your purchase so vigorously.

Human nature is to defend that which we've invested in. We tend to lose objectivity as is clear in this case. I was just trying to determine the psychology of your reasoning since it runs counter to facts.
Some of us bought them and immediately regretted it.

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
This started off getting "better for cheaper". That's n
That cost is in addition to the plastic bumpers. Again, the rear bumper is worthless. I’m glad you are enjoying your Mopar bumpers. For the rest of the world there are much better options. I’ll gladly sell you my Mopar set so you can have a spare set of the best bumpers in the world.
Why would I want a second set? Thank but no thanks
Sponsored