• Total voters

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
Anyone know the weight of the mopar steel bumpers that come with the Rubi?
Sponsored

shmpls

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, BMW M4
A steel bumper on a Jeep serves a lot of purposes, but the first time you get into an accident with one...

74451930-738E-46C6-BC12-906F97497A7B_zps5avj1f9a.jpg

A11BACCE-173D-4003-AE57-FE400042E99E_zpsmup6l6xg.jpg

Only damage was scuffed powdercoat at the top of the bullbar.
This is actually one of the reasons I am hesitant to put a steel aftermarket bumper on. I have never rear ended anyone but I commute in pretty congested city traffic. A 5mph collision with the factory bumper probably just means some pdr or rubbing compound for the other car. A steel bumper with a bull bar will fold in their trunk and be $3k. And as far as I am aware, 99% of the time you rear end someone, your insurance company is going to pay the bill.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
This is actually one of the reasons I am hesitant to put a steel aftermarket bumper on. I have never rear ended anyone but I commute in pretty congested city traffic. A 5mph collision with the factory bumper probably just means some pdr or rubbing compound for the other car. A steel bumper with a bull bar will fold in their trunk and be $3k. And as far as I am aware, 99% of the time you rear end someone, your insurance company is going to pay the bill.
As someone who has rear-ended someone (to my shame), on modern cars with crumple zones, you're doing thousands in damage regardless. Difference is if your own vehicle is down for repairs or not.

I voted plastic from the factory, aftermarket steel. That's what I'm doing.

shmpls

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, BMW M4
As someone who has rear-ended someone (to my shame), on modern cars with crumple zones, you're doing thousands in damage regardless. Difference is if your own vehicle is down for repairs or not.

I voted plastic from the factory, aftermarket steel. That's what I'm doing.
Respectfully I disagree. As long as you make bumper to bumper contact, which is not a guarantee with a Jeep, a passenger vehicle with a plastic bumper is generally good for a 5mph impact without deforming. I have the license plate screw imprints from another car on the back bumper of my M4 to attest to it

pjs1inc

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL, 02 Viper, 03 GMC Truck
Will 35" tires work on a Rubicon with steel bumpers?

I thought I read somewhere that 35s will only work with the plastic bumpers.

Thanks!

Sponsored

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Will 35" tires work on a Rubicon with steel bumpers?

I thought I read somewhere that 35s will only work with the plastic bumpers.

Thanks!
Yes. You might be thinking of the rear tire carrier. I believe it’s a tight fit on the steel bumpers with 35’s

pjs1inc

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL, 02 Viper, 03 GMC Truck
Correct, rear tire carrier, sorry I didn't word it right!

My question should have been, will 35" tire fit on the rear tire carrier with the factory steel bumper? Thought I read it won't fit. Ordering new Jeep and would like to have the steel bumpers and run 35s like my wife's jeep. Wifes JL Rubicon still has about an 1 1/2" clearance from 35" tire to bumper

Thanks!

IMG_2043.JPG

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I don't care about the other car, I care about mine.

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
What about one of the high-quality aluminum bumpers available? They're lightweight, strong and have no rust concerns. It seems to me they deserve at least some consideration.

Sponsored

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
i ordered steel, figure they would sell faster and get more than if i ordered plastic. gonna get custom or build my own anyways.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Ordered mine with the steel bumpers like the removable end caps and winch capacity the stubby look is cool also. The OEM quality is always very good as well. The black on these bumpers look like they will resist rust.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
As many others have said, I'll buy plastic from the factory and buy steel aftermarket. For the price tag of factory steel there are better options front and rear. I definitely want to get a front bumper with a stinger or hoop to help prevent any damage from animal strikes. I'd prefer a real heavy solid rear bumper in case I ever get rear-ended.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
From what I have seen on people that got steel bumper:
Front = ok
Rear = not up hard offroad

Its not that the Mopar were a disaster, its a nod to the absolutely amazing aftermarket the Wrangler has.

Last time I got rear ended in a 4x4 the guy did not hit my bumper, my 35" tire (which was considered big in the 80s) destroyed the honda hitting me. I did have to re-air the tire, lol.
Sponsored