Starter issues:

Carlitox125

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord
I have a 2018 JLU Sport S manual transmission.

in September I began to have issues starting the vehicle. I would press the Push start button and it would click and not turn on. It would eventually start after about 6 tries. If I used the jeep then turned it off, it would turn on if I did not leave it off for a long period of time.

A week later it wouldn’t start at all, unless I “popped the clutch”. I had my buddy disconnect the negative battery terminal and proceed to change out the starter. He said one bolt he would not be able to get to and gave up.

we plugged the battery in and it began to work flawlessly again for a month.

The jeep will not start anymore unless I plopped the clutch. I also disconnected the negative terminal and reconnected to see if that would reset something to fix the problem again, but it did not. I did learn that the jeep still has power even with the battery disconnected; which I assume may be to the jeep having 2 batteries.

Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed fixing this issue?

thank you so much for your help
Sponsored

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
When you say popped the clutch are you saying if you move the clutch pedal a couple of times it will then start? If that's the case, I would suspect the clutch safety switch.

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Battery problem

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
+1 on the battery being the possible culprit. A failing battery can manifest as phantom electrical and/or mechanical problems in several ways that would mask the actual issue.

Have the vehicle's battery load tested, Charlie. If it's the original one, give some thought to having it replaced even if it passes.

OP
OP
Carlitox125

Carlitox125

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord
When you say popped the clutch are you saying if you move the clutch pedal a couple of times it will then start? If that's the case, I would suspect the clutch safety switch.
When I pop the clutch, it immediately starts right away

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Do you mean rolling and releasing clutch to start it? We called it push start, but different regions maybe.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
When I pop the clutch, it immediately starts right away
Reminds me of my '61 Bel Air. Turn the key on, put it in 2nd gear, have someone push it and let the clutch out to start. My JK, I had the same symptoms and I replaced the starter motor. Did not want to be stranded out in the desert.

Deleted member 59498

I read the starter is a pain in the ass to change. They are blocked by transmission mount or something?

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Do you mean rolling and releasing clutch to start it? We called it push start, but different regions maybe.
Yes on the different regions. Always been pop the clutch around here.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
We've always called it bump starting around here, we've used the term popping the clutch to refer to the actual act of releasing the clutch pedal. If you are in-fact using the clutch to start the Jeep, then I would lean towards it being a starter issue. Maybe your friend messing around with the starter trying to remove it got it going for a while (i.e. bad solenoid, winding, or something). I'd replace the starter, just my $0.02.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
We've always called it bump starting around here, we've used the term popping the clutch to refer to the actual act of releasing the clutch pedal. If you are in-fact using the clutch to start the Jeep, then I would lean towards it being a starter issue. Maybe your friend messing around with the starter trying to remove it got it going for a while (i.e. bad solenoid, winding, or something). I'd replace the starter, just my $0.02.
This is bad advice.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
This is bad advice.
According to you. :)

If it isn't a battery or the alternator then there a good chance that it is the starter. I gave an amazing description of my answer and my rationale. You give 4 words in response. The OP said that after his buddy messed with the starter it worked for a month and then it reappeared.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
According to you. :)

If it isn't a battery or the alternator then there a good chance that it is the starter. I gave an amazing description of my answer and my rationale. You give 4 words in response. The OP said that after his buddy messed with the starter it worked for a month and then it reappeared.
bad connection at the starter=/=bad starter. This isn’t a diagnostic tactic at all. It’s a guess. Its easy to guess with other peoples money, but it’s even easier to give good advice. a simple test light or volt meter and a second pair of hands (and feet) is all you need to diagnose a starter circuit problem properly.
Sponsored