Yooperff

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler jl unlimited sport s
Jeep Wrangler JL Starter protection mode IMG_20200718_134054282

i can not start or shift my jeep v6 automatic.
it engaged auto park after a bad "bump"
Anyone know what this is
Sponsored

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
That's a new one. Have only seen the message for battery protection mode, but not starter protection. You said it shifted to auto park. Was the car on and you felt the shift bump? Or it wouldn't start at all? I would suggest an OBD scanner if you have one.

OP
OP
Yooperff

Yooperff

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a new one. Have only seen the message for battery protection mode, but not starter protection. You said it shifted to auto park. Was the car on and you felt the shift bump? Or it wouldn't start at all? I would suggest an OBD scanner if you have one.
We were driving down a muddy bumpy "two track" (minivans go down it) we hit a rather abrupt bump(rock, log, dead body...) in one of the puddles, the dash said auto park engaged.
I shifted into park to reset/turn off auto park and I couldn't shift back out of park, so I turned of the engine and it never turned back on.
All power accessories work. We tried jumping it, I disconnected the batteries over night with no luck. And google doesn't know what the starter protection mode is either

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
We were driving down a muddy bumpy "two track" (minivans go down it) we hit a rather abrupt bump(rock, log, dead body...) in one of the puddles, the dash said auto park engaged.
I shifted into park to reset/turn off auto park and I couldn't shift back out of park, so I turned of the engine and it never turned back on.
All power accessories work. We tried jumping it, I disconnected the batteries over night with no luck. And google doesn't know what the starter protection mode is either
Several things it could be is the wiring that hooks to the starter, something related to the fuel pump, or a bad ignition switch. Does the car sound like it's going to start, but doesn't? If so, it could be the relay and fuses that control the fuel pump. In car accidents, fuel pumps are designed to shut-off, limiting the chance of leaking fuel. In some cases, hard bumps or dead bodies can trigger this system to shut-off the fuel supply. They are known as inertia switches, but each manufacturer uses a different system to detect an incident. I don't know the exact procedure to reset it, or if this is even the issue, but I'd say let the dealer see it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yooperff

Yooperff

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Picked up a OBD scanner, this is what I got from it, all are listed as permanent
U0109 lost com with fuel pump control module
B1BE7 U/k
U115F U/K
U0140 lost com with body control module
U110C lost fuel level message
U110E lost ambient temp message
P0108 MAP sensor circuit High
P0406 EGR position sensor circuit high
P0850 Park neutral switch performance
U0100 lost com with ECM/PCM
Which ones of these would have been cause by me removing the power distribution circuit board thing to check the condition on the ESS battery?

Sponsored

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Picked up a OBD scanner, this is what I got from it, all are listed as permanent
U0109 lost com with fuel pump control module
B1BE7 U/k
U115F U/K
U0140 lost com with body control module
U110C lost fuel level message
U110E lost ambient temp message
P0108 MAP sensor circuit High
P0406 EGR position sensor circuit high
P0850 Park neutral switch performance
U0100 lost com with ECM/PCM
Which ones of these would have been cause by me removing the power distribution circuit board thing to check the condition on the ESS battery?
I’m not an expert, but I’d say anyone related to having lost communication with a system would be a result of removing the power distribution circuit. The problem with the JL is that small problems can cause unrelated warning lights and codes to appear. Unfortunately there’s not much you can do to see if any of the codes are legit. Normally, I’d say clear any codes possible and drive it to see if they reappear.

b1981tx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator and 2019 rubicon wrangler
Did you ever figure out what was going on with the starter protection mode. I tried to remote start my jeep this morning and it threw up same dash code,. I had it hauled into dealer and could not get it to start. So i am curious if you figured out what the heck was going on?

OP
OP
Yooperff

Yooperff

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had it towed to the dealer, who was also confused by starter protection mode. They said it was a bad starter or starter solenoid

JeepGladiator21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I had it towed to the dealer, who was also confused by starter protection mode. They said it was a bad starter or starter solenoid
Just ran into this issue. Was the dealer able to fix it? They haven’t been able to diagnose mine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yooperff

Yooperff

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes my dealer was able to resolve this issue. They replaced the starter and starter solenoid

JeepGladiator21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
After reading this thread and arguing with the Jeep dealership about the starter, they finally agreed to stop chasing ground wires and reluctantly replaced the starter. Starter replacement worked and I'm going to pick my Gladiator back up today! *happy dance* (>^.^)><(^.^<)