Starter protection mode

astet12

First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
Yes my dealer was able to resolve this issue. They replaced the starter and starter solenoid
Help! This is the only thread I found to have this issue too. I had my Jeep at the dealership and they are also confused by what happened. First off, I have a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL. I was at a red light and my automatic start stop kicked in and my engine shut off. When I took my foot off the break to go, the Jeep shut off and the light "A!" flashed. That stopped pretty quickly. I tried to start the Jeep again and it make a click noise but would not turn over. While in "run" a few different messages showed and then " Starter Protection Mode - Wait to Start" with a countdown appeared. The countdown ended and nothing happened. About another minute went by and my Jeep turned on by itself. I drove safely home. Then later that night I went to start my Jeep again and it made the same click sound and would not turn over. I tried multiple times and it would not start. We tried to jump start the Jeep, and disconnect and reconnect the battery. We ended up having it towed. In the morning, the dealership called and said that it started right up and everything seems fine. No codes where stored and they weren't sure where to even start with diagnosing the problem. I drove it home and all was well. Then, two days later, the same thing happened, not with the start/stop while driving, but when I went to start the car. Any one out there experience this? What was the outcome? Any input might help. Thank you!

IMG_5516.JPG

IMG_5516.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
Yooperff

Yooperff

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler jl unlimited sport s
Mine was a once and done, I never got it to restart. But after the dealer installed the new starter and solenoid I've never had it happen again

dsandness11

First Name
Dawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
I just had this exact same thing happen while sitting at a stoplight which left me stuck in a lane of traffic. Originally got this message and tried to restart after the 60 second warning but then got a message indicating the jeep thought it was actually still on. Then all the electrical items (lights, windshield wipers, etc. started flashing/moving) and eventually lost all electrical. Had to get towed. Currently dealer says it is a blown fuse of some sort and the auxiliary battery needs to be replaced. I don't have it back yet so we shall see if that fixes. Crazy that it just happened sitting at a stoplight though???

Lisaclaw

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
This literally just happened to me. Tower to dealership. What was the fix? And I am 3000 miles past my warranty

SIGP2101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2021 Rubicon 2.0T
"Starter Protection Mode "just happened to me after Jeep was sitting all night outside at -30C last night. Hooked up the charger to the batteries and it started after 59 seconds. Managed to get home and now she is parked in the garage till morning when I will do another test. Has anyone found out yet what is a cause for this nonsense?

Sponsored

Lisaclaw

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
I had an issue with my battery under the passenger seat that runs the start/stop. Replaced it. Then had this electrical,poltergeist event at a red light. Jumped started and made it about 100 feet before my 18 Sahara said car shutting off soon. 10 seconds later, it hard stopped. Towed to dealer. Blew my fuse box. Had to replace that plus the main battery. Once we spent $192 to tow, $408 on this fix, $270 on the main battery, $16 for some ratchet extender to install the battery (dealer wanted $100), $139 for aux battery, it works great.

SIGP2101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2021 Rubicon 2.0T
I had an issue with my battery under the passenger seat that runs the start/stop. Replaced it. Then had this electrical,poltergeist event at a red light. Jumped started and made it about 100 feet before my 18 Sahara said car shutting off soon. 10 seconds later, it hard stopped. Towed to dealer. Blew my fuse box. Had to replace that plus the main battery. Once we spent $192 to tow, $408 on this fix, $270 on the main battery, $16 for some ratchet extender to install the battery (dealer wanted $100), $139 for aux battery, it works great.
What do you mean by "Blew My fuse box" and did dealer charged you for tool too? wow!
Did you ended up replacing both batteries and fuse box to fix this problem?

Lisaclaw

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
What do you mean by "Blew My fuse box" and did dealer charged you for tool too? wow!
Did you ended up replacing both batteries and fuse box to fix this problem?
they said this blew my fuses. Don’t know really what that meant. But we replaced that and both batteries and now everything is working. For now…

Asherfie

First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU ecodiesel
Just had this happen to me while going 74 mph in the fast lane of the highway. Jeep cut off, lost all steering, brakes and everything. Could not restart the Jeep and it was towed to the dealership again. Has anyone figured out the exact cause or had this happen while driving?

Lisaclaw

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
Just had this happen to me while going 74 mph in the fast lane of the highway. Jeep cut off, lost all steering, brakes and everything. Could not restart the Jeep and it was towed to the dealership again. Has anyone figured out the exact cause or had this happen while driving?
yes. I had to replace both batteries

Smart252

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Only thread I found with this issue of “starter protection mode”, same happened to me with the car stalling after engaging auto/stop on and then randomly not starting once in a blue moon. Also note I have a JLU 18 like two people in this thread. Both aux and main battery was replaced and issue continued…ended up being bad starter replaced at dealer 1.1k..
Sponsored