CaptStarboard

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brisbanejeepclub.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon 2.2L TD - "Jacko" Punk'n Orange (Old - 2010 Jeep KK Cherokee)
I had that discussion with the dealer and they are insisting that both batteries are fine.
what voltage is your Jeep at before starting it in the morning?

Mine is only 12.1-12.2 most mornings after a day or two in the garage. both batteries load test fine, but won’t hold charge where I think they should be.

auto star/stop does t kick in until a 15 minute drive or so.

yours?

Ta, CaptStarboard

Senior_Chief

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL
Occupation
Retired X 2
The below link has critical info:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ibs-clear-reset.67955/

My take on it is both batteries need to be fully charged and in good shape when the "relearning" starts. If they are not the IBS never creates / "learns" what a full charge is.

Every time you disconnect the IBS the process starts again.

Clucktruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘04 GX470, ‘21 BMW X3M, ‘22 Wrangler High Altitude
The start stop feature on our 22 JLU has never worked, even after the aux battery being replaced. The jeep is driven most days but not for long (less than 10 mins typically). The dealer insists that the jeep needs to be run continuously for two 30min periods weekly in order to maintain the necessary battery charge. Sounds iffy to me but would be helpful if anyone can confirm the accuracy of the dealers statement. Thanks.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The start stop feature on our 22 JLU has never worked, even after the aux battery being replaced. The jeep is driven most days but not for long (less than 10 mins typically). The dealer insists that the jeep needs to be run continuously for two 30min periods weekly in order to maintain the necessary battery charge. Sounds iffy to me but would be helpful if anyone can confirm the accuracy of the dealers statement. Thanks.
That’s a pretty good rule of thumb I suppose. You should still be seeing the system function normally, I drive mine approximately 1.2 miles per day and it sits for 1-2 weeks at a time on a rotation with my truck. My ESS works perfectly.

Sponsored

Clucktruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s a pretty good rule of thumb I suppose. You should still be seeing the system function normally, I drive mine approximately 1.2 miles per day and it sits for 1-2 weeks at a time on a rotation with my truck. My ESS works perfectly.
Much appreciated.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
The batteries you get from the factory suck. I would usually see "battery protection mode" on a cool enough day and it would stay like that all winter.

Once I swapped both batteries out for ones I bought at O'Riley, I haven't had any issues.

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
ANY vehicle needs to be driven for more than 30 minutes at a time in order to heat up and get to operating temps and be driven there. As a vehicle sits it draws in moisture to various things and fluids. You need that sustained operating temps to burn off that moisture. If you have not done so already you need to adopt the severe maintenance schedule for service until you get out and drive that thing frequently.

Senior_Chief

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL
Occupation
Retired X 2
Take a look at this:

You can scroll to a display where the status of the ESS is shown. There are many reasons for not ready condition.

If it says "battery charging" you must ascertain that both batteries are in good shape and the IBS module is trained on those batteries while they are near fully charged with no faulty cells.

Good luck with the dealer. I had to escalate to the National Jeep service line to get my dealer to seriously look into the problem. Good luck!

Clucktruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Take a look at this:

You can scroll to a display where the status of the ESS is shown. There are many reasons for not ready condition.

If it says "battery charging" you must ascertain that both batteries are in good shape and the IBS module is trained on those batteries while they are near fully charged with no faulty cells.

Good luck with the dealer. I had to escalate to the National Jeep service line to get my dealer to seriously look into the problem. Good luck!
Much appreciate your response!

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

As mentioned before, it has worked flawlessly on my JLUR 3.6 eTorque since new. I travel a bunch so the JLUR may sit for two weeks at a time and the battery never drains down enough to effect the system.

My wife's GCL 3.6L with ESS never worked right from the day we picked it up. It has been in 5-6 times and the dealer replaced the AUX battery and a few sensors. It was not until they replaced the main battery a few months ago that it worked correctly for more than a week. She drives it daily so charging was not the issue, it was the battery not holding the charge correctly.

Clucktruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ANY vehicle needs to be driven for more than 30 minutes at a time in order to heat up and get to operating temps and be driven there. As a vehicle sits it draws in moisture to various things and fluids. You need that sustained operating temps to burn off that moisture. If you have not done so already you need to adopt the severe maintenance schedule for service until you get out and drive that thing frequently.
Thank you.

Clucktruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The batteries you get from the factory suck. I would usually see "battery protection mode" on a cool enough day and it would stay like that all winter.

Once I swapped both batteries out for ones I bought at O'Riley, I haven't had any issues.
I appreciate that.

Trek54

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Rubicon
Take a look at this:

Sir what does it mean on a new JL 2023 where the run/stop will work properly as long as the air conditioner is NOT running, the second i turn on the air the run/stop will not kick in....... Any idea what that means? Thanks

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
Old school, old guy here, if one battery is suspect, replace all the batteries.

Your batteries are under factory warranty? Serious question, never knew that.

Live in Az, new batteries every 3-4 years. That stupid little one lasts 2 years.
Sponsored