Squeak and Rattle Minor Projects....

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
Currently active squeak and rattle projects....

Seatbelt pillar loop. driver side. small squeak. seems better when i have it full up instead of full down, but has to be easy to find a solution to that squeak. not loud, but fairly constant. Passenger side may also squeak but not as close to my ear

Sunrider back top bracket. Seems to be designed with some play in it to the rollbar, as it goes up and down it contacts. Have some foam jammed in there now, but may need foam above and foam below. I'll add a picture as that will help

Plastic bracket ( 2 door) behind driver and passenger on C? column? Part of hard top. Followed rhinebecks advice and glued that sucker down. Took a couple of gos at it because just gluing down the bottom leaves the top edges to contact and rattle. Seems to be under control. This one was by far the worst and until i fixed it, couldn't even really hear the first two on this list.

Solutions you have found or other squeaks and rattles that annoy ya?

Overall, tho it's a jeep, and ultimately i'll settle for what i get, and it's likely to get worse over time, i'm pretty pleased with how quiet it rolls, and if i can make simple fixes for small stuff that bugs me, it's a fun battle to win.
Sponsored

OP
OP
alltimesaresoon

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
Should have mentioned i roll with the Sunrider without the hardtop so that may be part of that issue.

IMG_20190513_161119.jpg

IMG_20190513_161140.jpg

OP
OP
alltimesaresoon

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
The sunrider seems to need padding both above and below those brackets. Above from the back. Post 2 picture above shows foam in only one side, but that just makes the other side contact quicker. modified to have foam in both of those tabs above, plus the big strip below from front.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
alltimesaresoon

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
The seatbelt pillar loop is an insidiously bad design.... Here with cover off shown metal on metal loose fit. Rattle rattle

IMG_20190514_140405.jpg

View attachment 180848

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
OP
OP
alltimesaresoon

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
One attempt, driver side. Ranger band stretched around and in a u shape. Have to push it back off the push buttons or the seatbelt loop will slide down.

IMG_20190514_140909.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
alltimesaresoon

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
Another attempt passenger side. Shove a piece of foam up near the post. There is a lip of plastic below the post on the pillar side that you can use a screwdriver or pen to lodge some foam in there.

Both this and the above are attempting to minimize the rocking of the seatbelt loop against the post and other hardware fore and aft. Make it a bit cushioned or stiff. In no way limits the seat belt travel.

IMG_20190514_141641.jpg

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I already gave up on finding the sources of rattling, squeak, creaking, whatever. Just you know in real life, I am one of the most perfectionism and pickiest person, and Jeep completely cured my OCD.

Everyday when I get into my JL, I say "Fuck it, lets roll badass", and Alpine to volume 12, nothing better than that and this is not a car design for inner tranquility.

Although for your reference, I did solve some other rattles.
  • Stuck a pad between sunvisor and pillar
  • Driver seat height adjust one click above lowest
  • Stick some electrical tape on rear right door and tailgate striker
  • Constantly cleaning all rubber seals with 303

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
I would just turn the music up. Seriously. It’s a truck and I accept the squeaks and rattles.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I have the sun rider and have not noticed any sounds but I am using it with a hardtop, felt tape is always a good for keeping parts from rubbing or making contact and causing squeaks and rattles...

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

I've got a rolling squeak on the right rear.. something to do w/ the wheel. Speeds up w/ acceleration. :movember:

Sponsored

mvng4wd

First Name
Keno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy's - 3.0L EcoDiesel
Occupation
Municipal Community Services Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
One attempt, driver side. Ranger band stretched around and in a u shape. Have to push it back off the push buttons or the seatbelt loop will slide down.

Jeep Wrangler JL Squeak and Rattle Minor Projects.... IMG_20190514_141641
I have the same annoying rattle in my left ear. I can't find anywhere that shows how to pop the cover. And have you done anything different since this post?

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i have a squeaky bushing that i dont wanna take out and grease. lol and my tire carrier is starting to squeak aswell. about time to start looking for a new rear bumper as my cheap option bumper w/ the tire carrier moves more than i would like due to bad designing and minimal gusset's. other than those two where all good. ill get to both when i finish my home project remodeling my back room

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Squeaks, rattles and buzzed drive me nuts!

My 2018 JKUR Recon was a $52,000 rattle can. It must have been assembled by a team of drunks because not two panels lined up.
Jeep Wrangler JL Squeak and Rattle Minor Projects.... 1604330169738

Jeep Wrangler JL Squeak and Rattle Minor Projects.... 1604330200431

Thankfully, my JL has been quite the opposite. I can hear the driver seatbelt anchor rattle when I am on the trail, but otherwise the Jeep is surprisingly tight and rattle-free on daily driving.

OP
OP
alltimesaresoon

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
i have tried various forms of rubber bands around the joint with marginal success. not really solved or a solution i'm too happy with
Sponsored