jeep-tonic

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Hi!

I am kinda set to order an 4xe Rubicon (almost there).
I have a few questions for those who have it :)

1. Does the AC unit run/cool even when the car is parked and not running the petrol engine? (As the unit is hooked to battery, correct?) I want to use that to cool down the dog if we go to the beach ...

2. When you are out of EV/battery power - does the 2 liter petrol engine ever feel like not up to the task to haul the heavy beast? Asking for daily driving, but also for cases of light off-roading.

3. After you having the 4xe Rubicon - is anyone here that would not purchase that model again, and why?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Smunro622

First Name
tu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xE
Q1, cant say havent used the ac in 2months i open windows and take the top off it every change i get.
Q2, No issues in my opinion, i do not not the 2 liter kicking in when battery hits less then 1 percent. 0-60 in 6 secs higher end turbo kicks check out some you tube videos...(26) 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe | MotorWeek Road Test - YouTube
q3, very happy granted i am a month in on owning

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1. The AC will run on battery, but it will also crush the battery. Don't plan on it lasting for a whole day at the beach while the dog is in the Jeep. I'm not certain how long it will run the AC but I know it won't be as long as you'd probably want just sitting there parked.

2. The 2.0L Turbo is an excellent motor and you won't be disappointed.

3. I've owned my Rubicon 4xe for almost a year (Oct '21) and I would definitely do it all again. Love this Jeep.

lindaspins

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
14,500 miles of ownership:
1. I have heard that it does but there is a time out. Haven't tested.
2. The battery never really runs out. The 4xe is always a hybrid but depending on your mode and charge level, it varies how it balances power between electric and gas engine. The guage shows <1%, but it maintains sufficient charge so that the engine and electric work together in hybrid mode. Full power is always available.
3. Not a single regret, other than wishing I'd gotten the steel bumpers on my Rubicon instead of thinking I'd just get aftermarket later.

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
1. You can keep the Jeep running on battery power to use AC, but it will automatically shut off after 30 minutes. As a test, I sat and ran the AC on battery while my daughter was in a dance class. Battery drain was 13% over an hour with AC running, but I did have to restart halfway through.

2. No issues, power is always there with the battery reserve.

3. No regrets at all 4 months in. I've loved every Wrangler I've owned, but this one adds another element with the electric driving that is just awesome.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeep-tonic

jeep-tonic

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
1. You can keep the Jeep running on battery power to use AC, but it will automatically shut off after 30 minutes. As a test, I sat and ran the AC on battery while my daughter was in a dance class. Battery drain was 13% over an hour with AC running, but I did have to restart halfway through.
Thank you - very useful info for everybody here :).

In case of emergency I would only need it for 4x30 minutes, and I would be present to check if it is still working - so all good :D

OP
OP
jeep-tonic

jeep-tonic

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
3. Not a single regret, other than wishing I'd gotten the steel bumpers on my Rubicon instead of thinking I'd just get aftermarket later.

Noted! I was (currently) thinking to do the same ... :P

Bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Sahara 4xe
Hi!

I am kinda set to order an 4xe Rubicon (almost there).
I have a few questions for those who have it :)

1. Does the AC unit run/cool even when the car is parked and not running the petrol engine? (As the unit is hooked to battery, correct?) I want to use that to cool down the dog if we go to the beach ...

2. When you are out of EV/battery power - does the 2 liter petrol engine ever feel like not up to the task to haul the heavy beast? Asking for daily driving, but also for cases of light off-roading.

3. After you having the 4xe Rubicon - is anyone here that would not purchase that model again, and why?

Thanks!
1) It does blow cold, but the car turns itself off after about 30 minutes and you have to turn it back on. I think this is incase you forget to turn it off since its silent.

2) The EV Power is never actually depleted. You always have the electric motor helping on acceleration so it never feels different whether its at 100 or 1%

3) Love the wife's 4xe so much as soon as the gladiator 4xe comes out i'm trading my JT for it.

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Don’t expect remote start to last 30 min either, you’ll have to be physically present in the vehicle.

as for the depleted battery question, since we can’t see below ~15% (Jeep just shows <1%) that is a little tricky. I have had a few isolated incidents where I could feel the battery stopped contributing any propulsion. My theory is it dropped to a more critical level than 15% and it’s a built in safety feature in the code.

I would have to really expand on why that’s my theory but it’s very rare for that to occur and even when it did, the Jeep felt like a normal 2.0L turbo which isn’t bad. Normal operation even at <1% is to be expected, with full power.

love the Jeep for sure!

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
Agree with all the replies above. 17,600 on mine and 16 months into ownership. Only caveat is I might have gone with the 392 had it been out because, well, 392.

Sponsored

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4xe Rubicon, 2004 WJ
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, if you unplug the driver's door wiring plug, the Jeep will be able to stay in "Run" indefinitely, per Brandon Haneline's "power your house" video. Of course, then someone could drive away with it too - not good for dog mode!

2018JLRUSellersremorse

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon
I agree the the answers you are getting about the AC and power. In at 18,000+ miles and would absolutely buy it again.

alex_navarro

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU
14,500 miles of ownership:
1. I have heard that it does but there is a time out. Haven't tested.
2. The battery never really runs out. The 4xe is always a hybrid but depending on your mode and charge level, it varies how it balances power between electric and gas engine. The guage shows <1%, but it maintains sufficient charge so that the engine and electric work together in hybrid mode. Full power is always available.
sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a question about #2 above. So you’re saying that even if the battery depletes, it’s still in hybrid mode and there is still some level of battery power assist? So does that mean you still all the hp and torque even when the battery is down to 0%?

CaptStarboard

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brisbanejeepclub.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon 2.2L TD - "Jacko" Punk'n Orange (Old - 2010 Jeep KK Cherokee)
Noted! I was (currently) thinking to do the same ... :P
Import Spec Rubicon in Australia had Jeep cheap out on the steel bumpers. When you paid for the steel bumper you only got the front one. I've DESTROYED the plastic bumper off-road (part ripping it off twice and bending the mount once), and had to disassemble and rebuild a few times.

SOOOOO wish it had came with the factory steel rear bumper! Looking at aftermarket ones, but that's such a PITA when Jeep could have just provided it from the factory!

Ta,
CaptStarboard

lindaspins

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a question about #2 above. So you’re saying that even if the battery depletes, it’s still in hybrid mode and there is still some level of battery power assist? So does that mean you still all the hp and torque even when the battery is down to 0%?
Absolutely. The battery is never at 0% and is never fully "depleted"- there's always a reserve that is continually charging and discharging. It always acts as a hybrid.
All the torque, all the time! 😁
Sponsored