Buying 4xe soon got some questions

homebrew

First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Buying a 22 in the next few weeks for my wife. Looking at installing a level 2 charger, my concern is I live in WA and the jeep won’t fit in my garage. With that I’ll be charging outside . Looking for suggestions on a charger and options for protecting the charger from the elements.
Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I have the chargepoint flex, and love it. (check with your utilities provider, they may have one that gets you discounts or rebates, chargepoint is the most common I have seen to work directly with utilities) It is rated for both indoors & outdoors. There are no problems charging the 4xe outdoors, even in the rain / snow.

you need to decide if you want hard wired or plug for the connection to your home power. If the charger will be plugged in in your garage, and just the cable will go out to your jeep, I prefer the plug in style. (14-50, not worth doing 6-50 if adding the outlet, as it does not have a neutral)

If everything will be outside, you might want a hard wired version to prevent theft.

Make sure you get a GOOD charge station. there is at least 1 charger from amazon that has been known to melt the charge point on jeeps.

WannFly

First Name
Priyo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4Xe - ordered, 2019 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber security
get the grizzl-e dumb charger. its made to withstand Canadian winters. you will be fine in WA

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Another vote for the Grizzl-E Classic, My Jeep is usually in the driveway charging, I mounted the EVSE in the garage, I just run the cable out to the Jeep and the door closes fine. I do have a new rubber gasket on the garage door. No issues charging in rain or snow.

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Another suggestion if you prefer to mount your charger inside the garage, with a cord that’s long enough to reach outside the garage: Primecomtech makes level 2 chargers with cords that are 30, 40, and even 50 feet in length.

I can’t speak for whether running a cord under a garage door is compliant with electrical code, but I can say that my 40’ Primecomtech charger works great inside the garage or outside the garage, when I close it on the cord (I also have the rubber gasket on bottom of garage door).

Here’s a link: https://www.primecom.tech/

They aren’t cheap. But I had a hard time finding any other manufacturer who offered a cord longer than 30’. And given the way my garage is configured, it was going to be a lot less in electrician costs to mount the 240v outlet on the rear wall of the garage, than it would have been to bring it closer to the garage door. So, it was worth it for me to pay a bit more for a charger with a longer cord.

Good luck!

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
If you do 14-50, you can get a 50 extension cord. I have them for my RV, and I can assure you it DOES pull the full 50Amps:)
Sponsored