Soft top only folks- any regrets?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I had seen that on the Mopar site a couple months ago, but figured with the top down, rear seat removed and the dog on his blanket in the cargo area that big jeezus bag will still be in the way. I'm not keen on having to bend any of the windows, either. Those plastic guide rods on the side and rear windows don't look like they could withstand a lot of flexing.
Fair enough, but jut know that no bending of plastic rods is required.
Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
oh - and it can get kinda chilly at night... but what do I know about chilly? I live in AZ so whenever it gets below 70 - I am already putting a jacket on :giggle:
I also live in Southern Arizona, but I can make it to 65˚ before needing the seat heaters or a jacket ;)

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Im going with a soft top right now in the snow and ice. No problems. Fairly quiet and toasty warm. Love the classic look of the soft top.
I was running the soft top when we went to Sequoia National Park in the snow and then a torrential downpour. No issues or complaints through it all, except that three teens in the rear seat didn't think they had enough room and reminded me every two hours.

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
I was a hard-head and insisted on ordering a hardtop that I will never use after switching over to a Bestop soft top with the slanted back window and a flip open front section.

If I had it all over to do again, I would of ordered the standard soft top and trashed it, as I now have to look at that needless hardtop hanging from my garage ceiling everyday that i will never use again.

The Bestop is so fabulous in all weather conditions, why would anyone want a hardtop or the useless and clumsy factory soft top?

RoccoV

First Name
Rocco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
No regrets here. I learned from my JKU. About 6 months after buying my JKU with the 2 top option I knew I wouldn't be using the hard top much if at all. Then I moved to NC about 4 years later and knew I didn't need it any more at all. So when buying my JLU it was a no brainier. These new JLUs have a great soft top. Way better then the JKU for sure. No leaks unlike the JKU. Which leaked from the day I got it.

Sponsored

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
I added the hardtop after delivery. We had to install the tabs and have the wiring kit done. I run it in the winter. The soft top is great but the hard top is warmer and more quiet.

BeachJunkie

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JKU Willys
I live in a warm to moderate climate, north Florida, so really have no need for hard top. There are a few minor inconveniences paid for soft top freedom. All mentioned here. I would add one: With the soft top, I never use Drive-through car washes. Always hand wash.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
So far, absolutely not. I got the cold weather package for the "winter" (to the extent such a thing exists in the mid-Atlantic these days), so I'm looking forward to acclimating there.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
We bought Kailani with the hard top, black, then scored a premium soft top off FB Marketplace. Owner was awesome and helped me install.

Best mod we've ever done.

It allows us to have much of the benefit of a top, then quickly put it down in rain or wind or anything.

We love it.

I got the chance to mess with my aunt's JLU this summer and she has the normal soft top, loads of quality difference in the premium.

It's now what we ordered on our 2021 that's coming. We're keeping the hard top for the winter months.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
We...scored a premium soft top off FB Marketplace.

Best mod we've ever done.

It allows us to have much of the benefit of a top, then quickly put it down in rain or wind or anything.
And here I was, raising the soft top during inclement weather. 🤔 Will have to try it your way. ;)

I do admire the aesthetic of the premium soft top fabric. However, I've seen just enough of them sagging a bit, especially during a PA winter. The sail cloth tops always looks taut in the same conditions, so that's what I selected when configuring my JLU.
Sponsored