Sponsored

Dual Top or Soft Top Only?

roymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 tundra
With the improvements to the soft top, is anyone considering going soft top only vs dual top?
I'm curious how difficult the newly designed soft top is to remove for hard top install.
Any insight is appreciated...

Thanks!
Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I ordered a (premium) soft top only and i'm coming from a hard top YJ. I disliked the old hard top, primarily because you had to always store the darned thing and removal was a 3 person ordeal. I also chose the soft top due to it's new configuration and easy operation. I still expect to fully remove the top during the summer months.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I was only considering a hardtop but the new soft top has peaked my interest and now might go for dual top option available on Sport S and higher trims.

The dual top option is $2,185 on JK. The hardtop option is $1,000 leaving $1,185 for soft top later.

If pricing stays the same for JLU I figure I can always add a complete soft top for $1,200 or less later.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be very happy if Jeep upgrades the hardtop to something more modular in 2019/20. Then I would rather not pay for the hardtop now but uprade to the new hardtop later.

Last edited:

kurt13

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLU Rubi/4Runner
I want the soft top primarily, but I ordered the dual top so that the wiring/plumbing was already done at the factory for the hard top and in case the claims of all the soft top improvements don't pan out and I need a better highway experience (less noise) with the hard top. I also travel a lot for work and I'm not thrilled with the idea of parking at the airport for days with a soft top.

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
Soft top only for me. I got the hard top with my last Jk and took it off after a month and it was suspended in my garage for the next two years. Living in the south, the top goes down some days even in winter months. I might consider an after market hard top if it was more modular and not cumbersome like the current OEM version. Hoping mine is being built this week.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Iā€™m on the fence, as I have a practical use for both, but canā€™t live without the soft-top.

Iā€™d really love to order ā€˜NO TOPā€™ and then get BesTop to add their JL updated Trektop Pro hybrid variant of the new top. That top would be my year-round option even in -40.

I do really like the new soft-top and think itā€™s nearly perfect... but I hate a plastic rear window in winter due to all the road grime/salt/etc that sticks to it, and the relatively slow defrost rate vs hardtop.

However, gimme full-time rear camera view on the Uconnect or 7ā€ instrument cluster, and then maybe Iā€™d be happy with the stock soft-top year-round which I do like a lot.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I went with a hard top only and will get a Trektop NX Plus when they are available. However, the oem soft top is pretty nice. Makes me wish I had ordered the dual top.

20ftRoosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evo IX
Soft top only, likely going for the premium upgrade. I don't have a garage so my decision is pretty easy. Plus socal weather.

Metrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 HellaYella JLU Rubicon
I'm on the fence, but I typically get the dual top option. I'm in the south, so soft top most of the year. I usually change over for a few months around November/December, because we do some holiday traveling and shopping, and the hardtop adds the extra security and ease of access. I hang the hardtop in the garage, so it's not in the way and I can change over by myself.
If you don't end up using the hardtop, you can generally sell it for more than you paid for it with the package price.

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver 2018 JLUS!, 2016 Tahoe
I am planning on the dual top option as well. Love the way the soft top works and how fast it comes down, so will use that during warmer months, then switch to the hard top in winter. Already have plans on my lift install for my garage to house the hardtop when not in use!

Sponsored

southtj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 TJ Sahara
Soft top only for me. I got the dual top on my first Jeep and once spring hit, never put it back on again. Next two jeeps didn't even get a hard top. The minor benefits are just not important to me.

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Soft top only for me, did go with the premium because I have had both on the JK and its a big difference in longevity/wear. If I lived up north I would probably rock the dual top without question. Storage space for the hard top in the summer was also a concern for me.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
However, gimme full-time rear camera view on the Uconnect or 7ā€ instrument cluster, and then maybe Iā€™d be happy with the stock soft-top year-round which I do like a lot.
Agree. This would be a great system hack (is this possible?) once the warranty period is up.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
I usually donā€™t like soft tops as more days are bad weather around here than good. But the ease of the new one makes it very tempting. I might go with that power top even tho Iā€™m extremely hesistant because it was generally considered a failure on the liberty
Sponsored