imthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe Bright White
Occupation
Film Editor
Vehicle Showcase
What are you talking about?? Putting the top up and down or leaving it down most of the time is not misuse or abuse.
That line is from the warranty coverage, not my personal opinion.
Sponsored

imthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Film Editor
Vehicle Showcase
Now you're stating that the warranty actually states that leaving the top down most of the time is misuse and/or abuse? Show me.
ERMAGERD. That's a standard style of language among most warranties. "Warranty covers factory defect, not excessive wear and tear." I'm not saying the actual warranty states that the top down is misuse. It's common legalese. Comprehension levels are at an all-time low these days, seriously.

We're on the same team here, we all hope the OP gets the darn top fixed. M'kay?

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '16 Ram 1500 Longhorn
You really are that guy! In post 31 you commented that the warranty calls out leaving the top down as misuse. Perhaps comprehension isn't the problem?

Either way, let it rest. There is nothing wrong with putting a damn convertible top down. That's what it is intended for.

imthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Film Editor
Vehicle Showcase
You really are that guy! In post 31 you commented that the warranty calls out leaving the top down as misuse. Perhaps comprehension isn't the problem?

Either way, let it rest. There is nothing wrong with putting a damn convertible top down. That's what it is intended for.
I can see how that might have sounded that way, reading it back to myself. All good though, couldn't agree with you more on all points!

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I can see how that might have sounded that way, reading it back to myself. All good though, couldn't agree with you more on all points!
Good to see you came around to the innocent purchaser's side . When I read your post I was astonished and thought you might be a dealer's lawyer .

If she purchased a soft top , and the soft top is damaged whilst using it in a reasonable manner ( i.e., top down ) , then the damage is a defect . The frame might have caused the damage , but then the frame is also defective . All covered by warranty .

So , at a minimum , Jeep must replace the soft top , and probably the frame . At a maximum , Jeep must allow her to pay the difference for a Premium soft top .

Again , good to see you came around to her side .

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Yes, jeepcares has my VIN number and more info. BUT said they usually side with dealership. Guess I'll wait for another response.
Your position is solid . Obviously the soft top and possibly the frame are defective under the warranty . ( Unless you dragged both across a coral reef , behind a seaplane .) Hopefully you contacted ( [email protected] ) to get his assistance .

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The JL soft top is not the same as the JK soft top. The entire mechanism is different as it runs along a track.

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
I do not see how anyone could think that any JL soft top can be nearly wore out in less than a year and it should not be covered. Just think if it was your top....bet you might feel differently! I have kept some of my convertibles as long as 8 or 9 years of constant up and down use and they have been in very good shape. Good Luck with this!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepgirlJL2018white

JeepgirlJL2018white

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited
Update: Jeep level 2 Nicole says, they stand by the dealership. She gave me a 1 800 to call with the NCDS or something. In the mean while I went to another dealership with a mopar store that knew about JL since Buford Jeep in GA says they knew nothing and can only read the manual and the safety straps were probably not used.

The second dealership was very helpful and knowledgeable. They can not believe the condition. They stood by me and tested it with and without safety straps. They have said, it is clearly a problem with either the bars alignment or the soft top was defective shape. They said even without it causing holes the inseam is apprantly ripping because of the shape goes into with the bars. They are helping me get another order and will explain to chrysler it was nothing with straps and even with straps the top still has movement and problem will still exist.

My chances are NOT good and it will be an up hill battle since the first order for the top was already denied. They took pictures and will send a statement why the top should be covered.

My next step will have to be the 1800 and file a claim. Some government agency. I'm hoping Jeep will do the right thing now since a knowledgeable dealership actully looked at it rather then a tech that only reads the manual.

I'll keep posting updates.

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad to hear that another dealership is on the case. I'm disappointed in the Jeep Cares response, but hopefully having a dealership advocating on your behalf will help. Good luck!

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
The second dealership was very helpful and knowledgeable. They can not believe the condition. They stood by me and tested it with and without safety straps. They have said, it is clearly a problem with either the bars alignment or the soft top was defective shape. They said even without it causing holes the inseam is apprantly ripping because of the shape goes into with the bars. They are helping me get another order and will explain to chrysler it was nothing with straps and even with straps the top still has movement and problem will still exist.
I'll keep posting updates.
Good thing you went to the second dealership , which appears to agree with you .

Any rational person would agree that a soft top is defective if it wears out within a year , so I don't see how they can deny you a replacement .

Keep with the second dealership , and also e-mail the CEO at ( [email protected] ) . There is a dot between the mike and the manley .

Good luck .

MudHorn4xforLife

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler 80th Anniversary Edition
I hope you faired well. I have a ‘21 JL soft top. Twice now the fabric has been cut by the mechanisms when folding. The first time they covered it Uber warranty. Now a month later a second cut has happened on the opposite side and they want me to pay a “deductible” to repair it. It is obviously a design flaw.

Becky

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I bought my JL end of March. Soft top locks won't detache, they adjusted them. Then I got little holes but couldn't prove I didn't cause them now the area where my bar is hitting the inside top area near my tape is rubbing. It is worn. I'm afraid it going to cause massive holes after my 35000 miles. It has about 20,000 at the moment :( here are the pixs. Anyone else had the issue and is it covered by the warrenty?

20181015_130430.jpg

20181015_130355.jpg

20181015_130343.jpg

20181015_130337.jpg

20181015_130330.jpg
I have the same problem with my top. It's at the dealer now getting It's 3rd new top, 4 if you count the one it came with! All have been covered under warranty. I hope they figure it out this time as I'll be out of warranty after I get it back!
Sponsored