Sponsored

Snow tires or Chains?

xcantuaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Headed to Colorado.....Chains or Snow tires? Chains are $190 for all 4 and Tires about $500 for all 4. I currently have 35 inch nitto ridge tires.
Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Staying for a while?

I'd recommend swapping for the K02's that are snow rated. Then put some weight in the back.

Going snow bashing in the mountains? Then the chains may be enough to get you out of trouble, but they will not be good to drive on roads without any real accumulation.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
What tires are you looking at? And what will you be doing in Colorado? Off road chains hands down, but if you will be doing a lot of on road driving then you should consider tires. @Krondor suggest KO2 but I think they’ll be much more than $500 and actually that would be to replace your current tires which doesn’t seem to be your intention.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Chains AND snow tires.
Though as the others already mentioned it depends on what you doing. The KO2's are great tires, and handle the snow/ice very well. They're going to cost a lot more than the $500 you found other tires for though. Also, as I understand it, there are some places in CO that require chains but Gary could probably be more informative about that.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I've never been required to have chains, but the tractor trailers headed to the pass will certainly be required to chain up depending on weather.

I'm still going to have them for off road adventures.

All that said, what will you be doing? Most times, if you take your time and put weight in the back you will be fine. Some of the roads will not be a good idea to get on until they've been cleared and some sand/de-icer has been put down but I've run around with worn out all seasons without too much fuss.

Sponsored

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
The tires you have are fine if they are fresh. Snow rated is good, but not necessary. However, if you are trying to get to Silverton or beyond and it is snowing hard the state will require chains going over the passes if your tires are not snow rated.
I have traveled to Co many times with lots of snow and little snow. I have been there in my xtrerra and 4runner, both were fine.
Never needed chains once.
Also, check out the recent video by lite brite on youtube were they took their Rubicon deep into the snow. Good to have for perspective.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of chains, the OM says chains not allowed on Rubicon. I took a peek and don't think there are any clearance issues, but have not test fit as of yet. Also heard rumors that chains sized for the stock 285/70-17 tires won't fit the KO2's because of the thicker tread. Anyone actually put chains on a bone stock JLUR? Any fitment issues?

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of chains, the OM says chains not allowed on Rubicon. I took a peek and don't think there are any clearance issues, but have not test fit as of yet. Also heard rumors that chains sized for the stock 285/70-17 tires won't fit the KO2's because of the thicker tread. Anyone actually put chains on a bone stock JLUR? Any fitment issues?
If i remember correctly chains were a no no on the JK too. Thought it was about not enough clearance for the brake calipers or something like that. I haven't looked at the manual yet but perhaps the JL is the same?

OP
OP

xcantuaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Taking the kids....I won't be do any trails....just normal road driving. I researched the Ridge Grapplers and apparently they are good in snow and ice.

19SilverRubicon

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 door Rubicon
I live in the mountains of Colorado, never needed chains or snow tires, my factory Rubicon tires have always done the job

Sponsored

OP
OP

xcantuaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Thanks for the reply Ron. I hear the Ridge grapplers are good in the snow. I don't feel like dropping $200 on chains.

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
if your current tires are studdable, see if they can get some studs in the holes, if they're not packed with little stones or if you can find a cheap used set.
i'm sure the reason they don't recommend chains on rubicon, is because of the lockers. with no wheel slip, you may break a u-joint, or worse.

but i'm sure if you're tires are like new, you should be fine in 4wd. it's those mountain passes where the highway would be smooth and slick with hard packed snow/ice. you need momentum to get up. if you stop half way, trying to get moving again may prove difficult.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
If i remember correctly chains were a no no on the JK too. Thought it was about not enough clearance for the brake calipers or something like that. I haven't looked at the manual yet but perhaps the JL is the same?
It doesn’t make sense. Regular chain can be used on the rubicon with no issues. (Or any Jeep for that matter) I’m pretty sure the OM is referring to chain like mimics that actually attach thru the wheel. Chains never touch the wheels, only the tires.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I live in the mountains of Colorado, never needed chains or snow tires, my factory Rubicon tires have always done the job
Yes, Jeep made a great choice with the stock tires. The Rubicon has the BFG T/A KO2, which is an amazing tire. Not only are they M+S rated but they also carry the Mountain/snow flake icon indicating a "severe snow" rating. If you look at the treads you'll also notice siping which allows for better grip on ice. I had them on my wife's Grand Cherokee and they were one of the best tire I've ever run. I'd put them on par with the Goodyear Duratrac tires that I had on a Ram, which carries the same ratings as the KO2.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
It doesn’t make sense. Regular chain can be used on the rubicon with no issues. (Or any Jeep for that matter) I’m pretty sure the OM is referring to chain like mimics that actually attach thru the wheel. Chains never touch the wheels, only the tires.
On my '09 JK it stated:
• Install chains on rear tires only. Tire chains may be installed on all models except the Sahara and Rubicon. Follow these recommendations to guard against damage and excessive tire and chain wear:

• Use chains on P225/75R16 tires only. P255/75R17, P255/70R18, and LT255/75R17 tires do not provide adequate clearance.
Sponsored