First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Oh, I gotcha. It seems to happen on the drivers side more than the passengers side. When I get a chance to take them off I'll check to compare the pins from both sides.
Be aware that circuits (wires) on the left side tail light MAY have different insulation colors than that of the circuits (wires) on the right side tail light. The best thing to do is to get a known good set of tail lights and then compare. Of course, if you had another "qualified" set of tail lights you could just plug them in and see if they work properly. While diagnosing, make sure nothing is plugged into your trailer wiring harness connectors.

This is why I tend to go with OEM parts as opposed to aftermarket parts. Good luck with this issue.

OP
OP
JLTony

JLTony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited 2.0
Be aware that circuits (wires) on the left side tail light MAY have different insulation colors than that of the circuits (wires) on the right side tail light. The best thing to do is to get a known good set of tail lights and then compare. Of course, if you had another "qualified" set of tail lights you could just plug them in and see if they work properly. While diagnosing, make sure nothing is plugged into your trailer wiring harness connectors.

This is why I tend to go with OEM parts as opposed to aftermarket parts. Good luck with this issue.
I still have my stock halogen tail lights. I could try to connect those to do some troubleshooting

OP
OP
JLTony

JLTony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I think I may have fixed the problem. I took the drivers side taillight off. That's where the electronics for my trailer wire harness are. I rewired the power supply for the trailer harness directly to the Jeeps battery. I realized I had it wired to the cigarette lighter in rear hatch area and I heard that can cause problems. I checked the pins and they all seemed good. Used dielectric grease between the connections. Resecured everything with zip ties. It seems like the problem is gone now so far. I'll keep you all posted. Thank you for the help everyone! Love these tail lights now that they seem to be working properly.

P.S. I did contact Overtread and they responded pretty quickly. They sent the video to their engineers. I will update them as well and hopefully it will help someone else out down the line.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLTony

JLTony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welp back to the drawing board. Drove in to work today and the drivers side light is doing the chase effect again. Maybe they're just faulty.

The next thing I might try is taking the trailer wiring harness out of the loop completely and see what happens. That way it's ruled out as part of the problem.

Last edited:

Rayf

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
I have these same taillights! Installed them this weekend. though mine don’t do the chase thing (it’s only when it first comes on) the passenger side inner tunnel light is defective 😭
Maybe the tail lights are just faulty??
Sucks because these are cool af and everything else works on them

2CA46B3D-55DC-4BA2-BF44-E7EBCB7A7956.jpeg

OP
OP
JLTony

JLTony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have these same taillights! Installed them this weekend. though mine don’t do the chase thing (it’s only when it first comes on) the passenger side inner tunnel light is defective 😭
Maybe the tail lights are just faulty??
Sucks because these are cool af and everything else works on them

2CA46B3D-55DC-4BA2-BF44-E7EBCB7A7956.jpeg
That sucks, sorry you're having trouble with these too. They weren't the cheapest route either, that makes it even more disappointing. Should've just bought some $100 tails off ebay. At least then I would've expected some trouble for the price.

Can you return yours? Or are you "out of the window" too?

I just took the trailer wiring harness completely out of the loop. Connection is now stock taillight wiring harness connected directly to Skyline LED tails. If this doesn't work then I'm guessing the taillights must be faulty. Ill drive it around for a bit like this tomorrow and see what happens.

Rayf

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
That sucks, sorry you're having trouble with these too. They weren't the cheapest route either, that makes it even more disappointing. Should've just bought some $100 tails off ebay. At least then I would've expected some trouble for the price.

Can you return yours? Or are you "out of the window" too?

I just took the trailer wiring harness completely out of the loop. Connection is now stock taillight wiring harness connected directly to Skyline LED tails. If this doesn't work then I'm guessing the taillights must be faulty. Ill drive it around for a bit like this tomorrow and see what happens.

yea keep me updated!
But yes I’m returning them this week. I’m still in the the window. I was thinking the same thing about these tail lights, for their price I expect everything to work.. super disappointed

OP
OP
JLTony

JLTony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So far eliminating the trailer wiring harness from the equation seems to have worked. I'll keep an eye on things over the next couple of days to see if the problem is gone for good.

I might tap into the front turn signal/running lights on the fenders and the third brake light to make my own trailer wiring harness. It'll be more of a pain but at least this way I should be able to avoid any interference with the tail lights and still legally pull a trailer with functioning lights.

Edited to say I've been driving around for a few days now with the trailer wiring harness completely disconnected from the LED tails and have had no issues. Tail lights work perfect.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AlexC

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I have these tail lights and they are acting up as well. Sometimes they work, sometimes they dont. The sequential pattern will randomly just continue to rotate on one or both lights. Also, when braking sometimes they will not fully illuminate and will flicker. I bought these 5 months ago and am upset with the purchase. When they work they are cool, but they are not working correctly. To be safe i have put the stock tail lights back on and have had no issues. I am about to reach out to the manufacturer.

OP
OP
JLTony

JLTony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have these tail lights and they are acting up as well. Sometimes they work, sometimes they dont. The sequential pattern will randomly just continue to rotate on one or both lights. Also, when braking sometimes they will not fully illuminate and will flicker. I bought these 5 months ago and am upset with the purchase. When they work they are cool, but they are not working correctly. To be safe i have put the stock tail lights back on and have had no issues. I am about to reach out to the manufacturer.
Yep, they suck. Mine are doing the chase pattern randomly again.

AlexC

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Yep, they suck. Mine are doing the chase pattern randomly again.
Yep. If you don't mind keep me posted to what the manufacturer says and ill do the same. Extreme terrain was not willing to do a return since its outside the 90 days for a return.

OP
OP
JLTony

JLTony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep. If you don't mind keep me posted to what the manufacturer says and ill do the same. Extreme terrain was not willing to do a return since its outside the 90 days for a return.
They did the same thing to me. Wouldn't take them back. I'll email the manufacturer again and if they reply I'll post it in here.

OP
OP
JLTony

JLTony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
P.S. I bought a set of these on Amazon. Way less expensive and look exactly the same. The only difference is this version says it doesn't have the "chase effect" when unlocking the doors etc. So I'm hoping since it doesn't have the chase effect built in in the first place, maybe it'll never be a problem.

They should be arriving today. I'll test them out for a while, see how they do and ill post back here again.

Here's the link. Make sure you buy the ones without the chase effect because when you check out they have like four different options and one of the options is chase effect, or "welcome lights" or something like that.

VLAND LED Tail lights Compatible with Jeep Wrangler JL JLU 2018 2019 2020 Sport, Sahara, Rubicon, Moab ( Not Fit JK) with Tunnel Light, Red Turn Signal Red Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XQL15SP/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_fabc_G0VM74Q9Z9CD2JP4484R
Sponsored