Sponsored

Euro LED tail lights?

dandanio

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And progress on this? I would need to have it done to my JLU, but before i commit to a $1000 purchase, I would need to know if it works. Please, anybody?
Sponsored

Bluepencil99

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Audi A3, 19 JLUR
Occupation
Exercise Therapist/Martial Artist
Has anyone found out more about replacing to euro lights, or reworking the US tail lights to work...
Not much online except for Euro style knockoffs...
I have the blind spot sensors...

ReignInBlood

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Altitude
Has anyone found out more about replacing to euro lights, or reworking the US tail lights to work...
im also very interested to know if this is possible in the US. i like the euro version alot.

Rob80

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I'm going through this at the moment - shipped my Canadian JL back to the UK and had to have the red rear indicators disconnected and some yellow LEDs installed as you have to have yellow indicators over here.

Current situation is the LEDs aren't nearly bright enough so I'm trying to find some Euro rear light clusters that I can swap out with. No luck as yet but keeping fingers crossed something will come up soon as the current set up isn't great at all.

Sponsored

R8a

First Name
Rafa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Has anybody found the euro version compatible with the blind spot monitor? Any solution on this? I'm having the same issue that I need to install these

Dmitry

First Name
Dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 4xe
Build Thread
Link
My JLU has US LED tail lights, with the blind spot sensor. Haven't finished the conversion yet, however here is the history / roadmap:

• Found these cheap Chinese euro-version LED lights
  • Ordered, replaced my US tail-lights. Surprisingly, no errors. Look as bright as OEM. No idea how long they will last. But they work the same (no amber signal light).
  • Realized that an additional wire is needed for Euro version...
  • Instructions on wiring can be found here, together with simple BCM re-programming. Haven't done it yet, ordered the mentioned 'KOSTAL 2,8 SLK' pins.
  • And here is the instruction on how to move the blind spot sensor from OEM light to aftermarket. Haven't done that either, just checked that casing has the space for it.

parris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Thank you so much Dimitry.

Im in the same situation now, preparing to move back to Europe by the end of summer and I would love to bring back my jeep with me.
The tail lights modification is a pain in the but, but I guess the 80$ is worth it to give it a try. Do you know what is exactly the BCM re programing that must be done?

Thanks again

parris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing that I don't understand from this manual from JLScan, is that they identify two pins, and they say that you have to run new cables from the BCM, but they dont say to where, or which pins in the tail light you have to connect.

@Dmitry were you able to try it?

Dmitry

First Name
Dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Connector pins arrived a few weeks ago, but haven't had a chance to try it. Have to postpone conversion for a while, being busy.

As for which taillight pin to use - I think it is the only pin which is occupied on the taillight (euro) connector side and vacant on the other side.

Sponsored

parris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So here they are my five cents of what I have been reading this past weeks (Thanks @Dmitry )

• For being "EU approved" you will need
    • Orange turn lights
    • Separated turn lights and brake lights
    • Rear fog light
First thing to address are the signals for all the lights. It is really helpful to go over the cabling diagrams posted in this forum here

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jeep-jl-wrangler-wiring-diagrams.19185/

Also very helpful, to follow the process shown by JScan here.

http://jscan.net/jeep-wrangler-jl-light-conversion-us-eu-specification/

That process described by JScan show you everything you need to do, to directly replace the US tail light by an EU unit.

There are also other options, keeping the US tail lights or installing aftermarket ones
  1. First, you will need to separate the brake signal from the turn signal (it is not allowed that the brake lights blink when turn signal is activated.) For that, you have to do the coding: Combined Rear Lightning On/Off -> Set this option to Deactivated
  2. Second, you need a separated turn signal pin/cable in the rear of the car:
    1. You can do the coding Rear Turn Lamps Output Present -> Set this option to Activated and that will give you the signal in a pin on the BCM (see cabling diagrams) that you have to cable and bring to the back of the car
    2. You can take the signal from the front turn signals, but still you will have to run cable from the front to the rear of the car.
  3. You need a fog signal
    1. You can also code it with the code Rear Fog Lamps Output Present -> Activated. After that you must install the light switch with the rear fog button, and you will have the fog signal in the BCM pin (check diagrams). Again, you will have to cable it to the rear of the car
    2. You can just add a separated switch (in the auxiliaries if you have, or just one ad hoc) connected to the fuse box.
  4. Now you will have in the back of the car, all the signals you need: running, reverse, brake, turn and fog separated.
  5. Now you need to decide on the light assembly and assignation of lights.
    1. You can install an EU tail light (they are quite expensive and more if they come with antenna). Just add the turn signal to the correct pin of the connector (Check the wiring diagrams)
    2. You can send your US tail light to modify. There are several shops that are able to split the lower brake led section and change the leds to orange. It costs around 400$ for the pair.
    3. If you want to keep your US tail light
      1. You could connect the turn signal on the reverse light (you will have to install an orange film)
      2. In that case, you have to disconnect the reverse signal from the tail light and take it to an external additional light (you only need one reverse light), installed under the bumper. You can also use a combined unit for led and fog light
    4. For the fog light, you will always need to install an additional light on the bumper.
      1. You can add the reflectors brake lights and use them as fog light.
        1. fog lights in the bumper reflectors
        2. But remember you will need to add new reflectors as they are mandatory (they are available in self adhesive and with many shapes)
      2. You can install an additional lamp for the fog light under the bumper. Plenty of choices here too
        1. If you have choose to separate the reverse light, you can use a combined unit like this one
          1. reverse + fog light

Comandore3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubikon 2door
Thanks for the info. Not the case for me. As a US resident going back to Europe, and moving your own private vehicle (must be older than a year)we don't have to meet those standards of emissions, crash testing etc, but the car needs to have a kilometers/hour speedometer (the JL has it digital) and AMBER turn signals. So the rear blinkers is my problem now.
That honestly so upsetting the all world using amber for the turn signal only except USA and Canada.To stupid DOT long time overdue to change the rules !
Amber is better visible !

Dmitry

First Name
Dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Finally, completed the rear lights conversion.

So, I haven't installed the pins to the BCM myself, asked a company which do audio installations to do that and to traverse wires to the rear lights. The task seems to be doable though, the BCM is on the right side of the passenger footwell, connectors are accessible.

One caveat is that it is unclear which one goes to the left and which to the right. The pins are:
  • C5/E pin 3
  • C6/F pin 42
And mine were routed incorrectly initially, had to rewire.

Pins for that connector were ordered here: aliexpress.com/item/32955538491.html

Jeep Wrangler JL Euro LED tail lights? P_20230902_111348

One thing I didn't realize initially is that pins (different type) also needed for the connectors at the rear. Haven't had those, so I just added a separate connector for this additional wire. Connect to the yellow wire on the light side.

Also re-pinned and re-mounted the blind spot sensors to the new light connector/housing (see video instruction in previous post). Pin removal/insertion is easy if you have this awl-like tool.

Jeep Wrangler JL Euro LED tail lights? P_20230903_091803
Jeep Wrangler JL Euro LED tail lights? P_20230903_092134

After everything is connected, it is just a matter of running JScan and changing two settings under 'Adaptations' / 'Lights Conversion US<->Euro':
  • Combined Rear Lighting to 'Deactivated'
  • Rear Turn Lamps Output Present to 'Active'

Jeep Wrangler JL Euro LED tail lights? Screenshot_20230903-101120360
Jeep Wrangler JL Euro LED tail lights? Screenshot_20230903-101225847

After that all worked as expected, except that I got 'Rear Turn Lights Out' warnings on the dash. Disabling 'Rear Left/Right Turn Lamp Diagnostic Present' didn't help (so I do not think it is necessary). What helped is erasing DTC codes with JScan.

Jeep Wrangler JL Euro LED tail lights? Before
Jeep Wrangler JL Euro LED tail lights? After
Sponsored