Sponsored

Euro LED tail lights?

nbvolks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Jeep yet
Hello,

Does anyone have pictures or video of how the Euro-spec LED taillights operate? I'd like to see how they integrate the amber turn signal and the red braking lamp. The only pics and videos I've found are of them off, and the inner section is completely clear.
Sponsored

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
I believe the upper section is amber and the lower section is the brake light.

fratnike

First Name
Enrico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0l turbo (ita version)
Hello,

Does anyone have pictures or video of how the Euro-spec LED taillights operate? I'd like to see how they integrate the amber turn signal and the red braking lamp. The only pics and videos I've found are of them off, and the inner section is completely clear.
I'll try to make (and post) a little video this evening (Italy time), if I remember correctly the turn signal is below, the stop above and in the middle the white led for the reverse

fratnike

First Name
Enrico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0l turbo (ita version)
As promised:

JLU Euro-spec LED tail lights - STOP + TURN SIGNAL

JLU Euro-spec LED tail lights - ONLY TURN SIGNAL

The space in the middle is for the white light activated on reverse gear

OP
OP

nbvolks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Jeep yet
As promised:

JLU Euro-spec LED tail lights - STOP + TURN SIGNAL

JLU Euro-spec LED tail lights - ONLY TURN SIGNAL

The space in the middle is for the white light activated on reverse gear
This is perfect! Thank you!

Sponsored

Punteria

First Name
Ignacio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda CRV, 2004 Volvo XC 70
I'vegot a US specs 2018 JLUR in Virginia. Need to take it to Europe in about a year and the amber turn signals is a Must there. Any ideas on how to make that modification ? I mean I need to change those RED turn signals into AMBER. If I cannot make this change I will have to get rid of my Rubicon, that I love. Any help / ideas would be greatly appreciated...

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
I'vegot a US specs 2018 JLUR in Virginia. Need to take it to Europe in about a year and the amber turn signals is a Must there. Any ideas on how to make that modification ? I mean I need to change those RED turn signals into AMBER. If I cannot make this change I will have to get rid of my Rubicon, that I love. Any help / ideas would be greatly appreciated...
If you’re military, status of forces agreement protects you from needing to do any changes like that. You’ll get special plates so the cops won’t hassle you. If you’re not military, you have much bigger problems (crash testing, emissions, etc)

Punteria

First Name
Ignacio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you’re military, status of forces agreement protects you from needing to do any changes like that. You’ll get special plates so the cops won’t hassle you. If you’re not military, you have much bigger problems (crash testing, emissions, etc)
Thanks for the info. Not the case for me. As a US resident going back to Europe, and moving your own private vehicle (must be older than a year)we don't have to meet those standards of emissions, crash testing etc, but the car needs to have a kilometers/hour speedometer (the JL has it digital) and AMBER turn signals. So the rear blinkers is my problem now.

smtp295

First Name
SMTP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Is there any difference with the wiring of the LED Tail lights with US specs and Gulf Specs? Anyone can help?

Punteria

First Name
Ignacio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there any difference with the wiring of the LED Tail lights with US specs and Gulf Specs? Anyone can help?
I don't know exactly, but the US specs uses the same red bulb for the brake and for the turn signal. The ones with Amber rear turn signals need to have two different bulbs, the red for the brake light and the amber for the turn signal. So I guess the wiring is probably different as well. Âż?

Sponsored

smtp295

First Name
SMTP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I don't know exactly, but the US specs uses the same red bulb for the brake and for the turn signal. The ones with Amber rear turn signals need to have two different bulbs, the red for the brake light and the amber for the turn signal. So I guess the wiring is probably different as well. Âż?
Yes, they are actually I tried wiring the LED tail light it seems that i need a different adapter for it. But, what I did is I actually connected the signal wire with the brake. When i press on the brake the signal light turns into brake light I can't have both. I hope I can find a different solution. Help !

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Thanks for the info. Not the case for me. As a US resident going back to Europe, and moving your own private vehicle (must be older than a year)we don't have to meet those standards of emissions, crash testing etc, but the car needs to have a kilometers/hour speedometer (the JL has it digital) and AMBER turn signals. So the rear blinkers is my problem now.
I can tell you as an American who has twice moved to Europe, this is incorrect. I have taken a car with my both times. First time was a Passat wagon, which is nearly identical to the EU version. That was even a major pain in the butt and cost around 1500€ in paper work. There was a slight difference in the US engine. Lucky for us, someone else already had to pay the 4k€ to have TÜV fully test it. So, they had it on file.
The other was a 1970 Mercedes 280sl. That was super easy since it's an old timer.
The time limitation of owning the car is relevant to whether or not you need to pay VAT and nothing to do with whether or not you must comply with EU regulations.
You will need to have TĂśV along with the green registration card which details your vehicles specs.
Getting TĂśV is only possible when a vehicle complies with EU regulations AND the vehicle type is on file as having been certified by the manufacturer or a private party.
Basically, they will ask for your engine code. This will be stamped somewhere on the block. If TĂśV has that code in their database, then you should be OK. Like how I mentioned what happened on the passat.
You will also need a translated official document from the manufacturer with the exact technical specs of the car. These are used for the registration card. I had to get these from VW US, as VW Europe had no interesting in helping to import a car.
There are 3 exceptions. Military members, as mentioned above, old timers (25 years or older) or when you are staying in the country for less than 2 years.
Note that if you sell the vehicle within 1 calendar year of entry, you need to pay the full VAT.

First Name
A J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
From trying to install a EU-version tail light on my 2011 JK because I loved the look of a particular led tail light only sold there, I can tell you there is an extra, dedicated turn signal wire in the EU Wranglers. After a lot of trial and error, I simply decided to run a separate wire from the front turn signals, through the cab, one on each side because of the tailgate, to the rear. I fastened the wires into the JK connectors, hooked them up and they ran perfectly. I can tell you the problem you'll run into with your JL is the on-board computer... I'm sure they've progressed since '11 and it might sense the extra load, however you attempt to hook them up, and blink fast. Only tinkering and trying will tell you. Hope this helps!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You could buy the wiring harnesses and lamps, but the BCM would still not recognize the added wire. I’m not sure that this mod can realistically be done OEM style.

I assume amber brake lights are illegal there? Unfortunately the brake/turn is one wire so not even a switch back bulb could be used.

Stan_Smith

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2D
Vehicle Showcase
Can't euro tail lights simply be swapped in and PCM reflashed with a different region options? (enabling DLR's simply requires region charge) PCM should take care of the rest. For example, if your Wrangler doesn't have LED tails, you can buy them at the dealer and dealer simply enters "sales code" into software update—no silly harnesses or resistors. Same for all otter equipment controlled by the PCM, like switches, tow package, etc, etc...

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Sponsored