Sponsored

Shifting Procedure for Four-Wheel Drive Operation

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I believe you should always have the trans in neutral when shifting into/out of 4Lo.
I think mine has gotten easier.
If you have an automatic transmission it should be in neutral. If you have a manual transmission you can put it in neutral but if you have the clutch disengaged that should be enough.
Sponsored

VWillys

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Willys - Bright White
Mine was like that when new. I used to say "f**k it let the cable break then they have to fix their bad design". I got into the habit of cycling through to 4 low on every usage of the Jeep (just like hitting that stupid ess button). it's way better now.
Did you do this cycling while moving or still?

I received my auto Willys in March so have not had the need to take it out of 2H yet but after reading this thread, I think I’m going to try this now to see how it feels cycling through.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You can shift into 4H “on the fly”, meaning you don’t have to stop or shift the transmission into neutral.

You always need to shift into neutral to engage into 4L; this is true of Command-Trac, Selec-Trac and Rubicon’s Rock-Trac.

Additionally, with Rock-Trac you may also want to be rolling forward at 1-3 MPH to aid the transfer case slip into 4L.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Did you do this cycling while moving or still?

I received my auto Willys in March so have not had the need to take it out of 2H yet but after reading this thread, I think I’m going to try this now to see how it feels cycling through.
I back out of the driveway, pull it right down into 4high, drive about the length of 5 cars, stop, pull the main stick shifter into neutral, go about an inch right with the 4w shifter then down to 4 low. Most times it just drops in but i have had to roll slightly a couple of time to align the gears. My street is a dead end so i don't hold anyone up doing my ritual.
2 years old and much much better now.
Sponsored