Stiff 4 Wheel Drive Shift Lever

Currentg

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
2018 Sport S picked up just after Thanksgiving, and now have 4700 miles on it. The salesman said that the because the jeep is new the shift linkage will be stiff but I don't think it should be this stiff. Hard to shift into 4 Hi and extremely difficult to shift into Neutral or 4 Lo. So difficult that I am worried about breaking the shift lever when I shift into 4 Lo. Anyone else find their 4 wheel drive shift lever hard to shift?
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
It's normal to have this stiffness. Keep using it and it will get easier. Going into 4H is easier if you are moving. Just let off the gas while shifting into 4H. Yes, you may think you are going to break it, but it will be fine.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
This is an oft repeated thread (did so myself). It gets easier the more you do it. Same with going into 4W Low.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
It tends to be difficult to shift in new vehicles. The JL takes it to a whole new level. I'm a pretty strong guy and I had to pull will all my might to get it to shift from 2 to 4H. It still didn't engage and I had to try a few times.

RedJeep78

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sport 2018
Yeah I was worried the first couple or few times as well, was afraid I would brake it. It loosened up the more I used it with no issues. I kinda had to yank it at first. As long as your in neutral its fine.
Sponsored