Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
Once I opened the DEF tank filler and let it set a while, the error code went away. Today, the CEL also cleared. Lesson learned, if you completely fill the tank, bleed off the tank by allowing it to fully vent. Thanks again for everyone's advice and help.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The dreaded service def system just popped up. This time I have about 1/3 tank full. The CEL is on. So I guess Monday in it goes.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Sorry to hear that. Keep us posted and good luck.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
The dreaded service def system just popped up. This time I have about 1/3 tank full. The CEL is on. So I guess Monday in it goes.
Mine just came on at 4000 miles. What did they do to fix it?

gburchett

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JLR, Sting-Gray, ‘15 Ford Fusion, ‘16 F450
I filled the tank to the neck. The code popped after about 200 miles. I opened the DEF tank cap a couple of times. I have filled the tank before and never had any problems.
Don’t tell the dealership you filled it to the top. I have a F450, and I remember reading somewhere, not sure if it was the manual or somewhere else, that you should only fill until the nozzle clicks if you used gas station to fill it up. I think it has to do with the vent. I belI’ve it will get clogged either by the DEF or it will crystalize in the vent and block it. If you can, I would try to suck some out to get it past the vent.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
As a tangental point, I don't completely fill my DEF tank for fear of spoilage - especially in a Phoenix summer. Do you guys have similar concerns? [but, then again, I only drive 5,000 miles/year.]

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
Watching 👀
Please update when fix has been completed, what was done etc
Mileage, also
Sorry to hear this is happening

ALK

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler
As a tangental point, I don't completely fill my DEF tank for fear of spoilage - especially in a Phoenix summer. Do you guys have similar concerns? [but, then again, I only drive 5,000 miles/year.]
You're going to have constant issues with that system, especially if you don't drive it very often.

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine just came on at 4000 miles. What did they do to fix it?
I vented the DEF tank by opening the cap and let it sit a while. Later I got down to 25% DEF and the CE light came on. I took the jeep into the shop and they did a recall on the DEF system. That cleared the code. Bottom line is the jeep don’t like the DEF tank to full or low.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
You're going to have constant issues with that system, especially if you don't drive it very often.
Huh? Zero issues (constant or otherwise) after two years.

And...it'll pull your house off its foundation, basement and all. :)

Sponsored

ALK

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler
Can’t leave us hanging on the details. Do you drive short distances and have had issues in the past?
I deal with Exhaust treatment systems & DEF every day, the stuff is just plain nasty & eats at everything it comes in contact with. Everything with the after treatment system needs to be worked on a constant basis, it needs heat to do it's job correctly.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Well, I got a appointment for next tuesday to have them look at this issue. Had to remove all the skid plates today. What a PITA to do by yourself. Now she is running with no underwear. Next to remove the Taser and Pedal monster, which is another PITA. What we go through with having our jeeps worked on.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

California desert, Follow the same protocol. Seldom fill past half. Funny how anti diesel Wrangler people complain so much about def. It's a national diesel thing on all modern diesels.
Commercial operators seem to have manage and have accepted the change. But some Wrangler folks seem self entitled.
Sponsored