Sponsored

Selec-Speed Control vs Hill-Descent Control (Solved)

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

My 2021 diesel rubicon has SSC. I have the advanced safety group, and the Diesel was only available with the part time Tcase.

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
So it appears, based on member feedback and window stickers, that the Selec-Speed control is a new feature available only for 2021 JL models with the 2.0litre turbo or the 3.0litre diesel paired with the automatic transmission

and the 2021 Gladiator with both the 3.6litre and the 3.0litre diesel paired with the automatic transmission.

but the 2021 JL with the 3.6litre is still stuck with Hill Descent Control.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Six pages in, and I know less than when I started. :LOL:

My money is on the Selec-Speed option only comes with a Rubicon that has the advanced safety group...
2021 Sport
2.0L Turbo
850RE 8 speed Auto
Selec-Speed Control

No Safety Group.

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Six pages in, and I know less than when I started. :LOL:

2021 Sport
2.0L Turbo
850RE 8 speed Auto
Selec-Speed Control

No Safety Group.

2021 Rubicon Unlimited
2.0L Turbo
850RE 8 speed Auto
Selec-Speed Control

No Safety Group.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Regardless of trim I'm pretty sure I would never give up any control on a flat surface so SelecTrac seems silly to anyone who can drive.
Now if hill descent can prevent you coming down an icy slope straight that's all I would want or need it for.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Regardless of trim I'm pretty sure I would never give up any control on a flat surface so SelecTrac seems silly to anyone who can drive.
Now if hill descent can prevent you coming down an icy slope straight that's all I would want or need it for.
Know how I know you didn't watch the YouTube video posted above?

And Hill Descent is not for coming down an icy slope. Nothing electronic will mitigate sliding down an icy hill.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Know how I know you didn't watch the YouTube video posted above?

And Hill Descent is not for coming down an icy slope. Nothing electronic will mitigate sliding down an icy hill.
antilock brakes?

Sponsored

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I completely understand that many would not want to give up control of their jeep off-road but I would prefer for those people to at least understand that the major feature of these systems is the fact that it is able to modulate each tire’s brakes individually to keep the Jeep in the line you want to go, whereas manual braking causes all the wheels to brake equally and there is no individual modulation unless ABS or BLD kick in.

This is the reason using these systems will allow the jeep to theoretically be more stable because it will brake each wheel individually and with a varying amount of force, as needed, to keep the vehicle stabilized and straight, or to keep it turning in the direction you want it to turn without destabilizing the jeep.

edit: it shouldn’t help much with ice since brakes themselves don’t work well at all when on ice and these features utilize braking significantly.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I completely understand that many would not want to give up control of their jeep off-road but I would prefer for those people to at least understand that the major feature of these systems is the fact that it is able to modulate each tire’s brakes individually to keep the Jeep in the line you want to go, whereas manual braking causes all the wheels to brake equally and there is no individual modulation unless ABS or BLD kick in.

This is the reason using these systems will allow the jeep to theoretically be more stable because it will brake each wheel individually and with a varying amount of force, as needed, to keep the vehicle stabilized and straight, or to keep it turning in the direction you want it to turn without destabilizing the jeep.

edit: it shouldn’t help much with ice since brakes themselves don’t work well at all when on ice and these features utilize braking significantly.
You're so much more eloquent than me. Lol.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

I'm pretty ignorant to these systems seeing as I'm a stubborn manual transmission driver. The system as you describe sounds pretty intelligent. The question I have is when do you actually use it? (not the base speed control, referring to the advanced stability features described) If its a particularly hairy situation, I assume you wouldn't want it engaged as you want to modulate speed on your own. Said another way, the extra stability afforded by individual brake activation, etc. becomes less important on the sections of the trail you actually use it on, because those sections of the trail aren't very difficult. Maybe you guys do use speed control the whole time? I'm specifically thinking of times like going down a series of big ledges. Individual braking could be helpful, but I wouldn't think speed control would be in use.

Again, I've never used these systems. Just seeking opinions of those that do. Us manual transmission guys have our own version of cruise control on the trail. Put it in 4 low and select a gear and let the clutch out. Start in whichever gear fits the terrain best. 1st gear very slow, 2nd gear pretty slow, 3rd gear/4th gear about right for the non big obstacle sections. No gas pedal/brake pedal needed much of the time and holds a fairly consistent speed.

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I'm pretty ignorant to these systems seeing as I'm a stubborn manual transmission driver. The system as you describe sounds pretty intelligent. The question I have is when do you actually use it? (not the base speed control, referring to the advanced stability features described) If its a particularly hairy situation, I assume you wouldn't want it engaged as you want to modulate speed on your own. Said another way, the extra stability afforded by individual brake activation, etc. becomes less important on the sections of the trail you actually use it on, because those sections of the trail aren't very difficult. Maybe you guys do use speed control the whole time? I'm specifically thinking of times like going down a series of big ledges. Individual braking could be helpful, but I wouldn't think speed control would be in use.

Again, I've never used these systems. Just seeking opinions of those that do. Us manual transmission guys have our own version of cruise control on the trail. Put it in 4 low and select a gear and let the clutch out. Start in whichever gear fits the terrain best. 1st gear very slow, 2nd gear pretty slow, 3rd gear/4th gear about right for the non big obstacle sections. No gas pedal/brake pedal needed much of the time and holds a fairly consistent speed.
This feature isn’t available at all for manual transmissions unfortunately! (I’m curious as to what your Hill-Descent/Selec-Speed button is replaced with since yours is a manual? Or do you just have one less button on your dash?)

And also, you have a great point if we speak realistically. I highly doubt that a large number of people use these features for any large amount of time. In fact, I’m sure it’s quite the opposite and almost no Jeeper would even think to engage it when progressing along a trail, especially with other Jeeps there. I certainly have never used it other than to test out how it works, and I really doubt I’ll ever use it more than a handful of times during the Jeep’s life, and even then, it will probably be just to have fun and see how it manages. For all intents and surprises, as far as a vast majority of Jeepers are concerned, it’s a gimmick. We were mainly curious as to why Jeep chose to put one or the other in Jeeps with different engines and didn’t just put Selec-Speed in all the Jeeps.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Just going to chime in for the 4xe Rubicon as i test drove one today - 2.0L engine + electric motor.

The dash looks like it has the selec speed button, instead of the hill descent one, but didn’t see any note of it on the sticker - but that could be as the auto is standard and not an option.

interesting it didn’t have the off-road plus button - but that’s a different story / thread.

my $0.02 on the hill descent in a JLUR. It is excellent! I didn’t know how it worked, but on a Jeep academy day they explained. It is super strange to go down a steep, loose, uneven hill with both feet on the floor (not the pedals), but the way you can inch the speed up and down with the gear lever is very cool. Flawless.

My 16 year old daughter used it on a steep decline also without issue - just as an example of what it can do.

Jeep Wrangler JL Selec-Speed Control vs Hill-Descent Control (Solved) 826A222D-17C8-439B-9082-6A1F3DC140A3

Jeep Wrangler JL Selec-Speed Control vs Hill-Descent Control (Solved) 92F3A3BA-C000-4ABB-88BF-5AC5FF68FEC8
Sponsored