Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Is it possible sand got into the engine by other means than the sand dunes? Is it possible it was put in the fuel tank?
Sponsored

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
I would for sure request a sample of the sand and have it analyzed.That should tell the story....if there is one.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
When I bought my CPO JL 2 months ago, it was a 1 day turnaround from it's trade-in. No dealer prep. I mean the trail dust inside was like Tiramisu kinda choking when you get in. I should check my CPO-inspected engine air filter soon.

If your handy and have friends here, you could drop in a near-new replacement for under $5k. But dealer programming would be another $5k. I swear, if there were computers on Jeeps back in '45, we'd have lost the war.
The lack of understanding of computer control systems here is absurd.

Sponsored

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
...The dealer checks my jeep and tells me that sand got into my engine and that it will need to be replaced. ...
Define "sand in the engine"...

Sand, when ingested by the air intake (assumes it got past the air filter), would quickly blow through the engine, causing a little excess wear. But it almost certainly wouldn't cause a delayed, catastrophic failure later.

But on the other hand, if sand got in the crankcase... The oil filter would clog at which point the bypass would activate and dirt-filled oil would circulate around the engine. Bearings would get ate up, cam lobes wiped out...

Any possibility you were vandalized?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Define "sand in the engine"...

Sand, when ingested by the air intake (assumes it got past the air filter), would quickly blow through the engine, causing a little excess wear. But it almost certainly wouldn't cause a delayed, catastrophic failure later.

But on the other hand, if sand got in the crankcase... The oil filter would clog at which point the bypass would activate and dirt-filled oil would circulate around the engine. Bearings would get ate up, cam lobes wiped out...

Any possibility you were vandalized?
Sand sucked into the intake causes a loss of compression by damaging cylinder walls, piston rings, and valves.

DogsRule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JL
I wonder if Jeeps, perhaps Wranglers, exported to the Middle East, have differently designed air intakes?

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
How exactly did the dealership determine sand got in the engine? Did they bore scope the cylinders somehow? Is there sand in the intake manifold? Did they do at least a partial tear down?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I can't speak to dunes, but I've driven through one of these (just as extreme as the picture) without any issues. They are fast-moving, up to a mile tall, and come up on you quickly. We get one every year or two. This picture is in Phoenix. Does a number on your pool.

Haboob. They are Biblical.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sand In Engine haboob-pielage

Sponsored

OP
OP

Burt Killiam

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2021
*Update*

I talked to @JeepCares and they are siding with the dealer on this one. When I asked if it was possible to bring it to another dealer to get a second opinion they told me that the decision for it not to be covered under warranty was final and that a second opinion would not overturn that result. At this point I just hope my insurance is able to help cover the cost.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Did you tell them how the sand got in your engine before they told you there was sand in the engine?

Did they tell you how they knew sand got in your engine before you told them how the sand got in the engine?

It would be interesting to learn how the diagnosis "Sand in Engine" was determined to be a fact.

OP
OP

Burt Killiam

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2021
Did you tell them how the sand got in your engine before they told you there was sand in the engine?

Did they tell you how they knew sand got in your engine before you told them how the sand got in the engine?

It would be interesting to learn how the diagnosis "Sand in Engine" was determined to be a fact.
I told them I had been off-roading in Red Sands and that I believed my air filter to be clogged which resulted in the engine issues. When they did their diagnosis they told me that there was so much sand in the engine that it needed to be replaced.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
*Update*

I talked to @JeepCares and they are siding with the dealer on this one. When I asked if it was possible to bring it to another dealer to get a second opinion they told me that the decision for it not to be covered under warranty was final and that a second opinion would not overturn that result. At this point I just hope my insurance is able to help cover the cost.

That sucks. Not suprised about the second opinion dealio. Some dealers will not even let you take your vehicle away if they claim it’s a safety issue. Definitely keep that in mind if there is ever a seat belt recall because it might not leave there until repairs completed.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
*Update*

I would also be retaining a lawyer. You're getting bent over if you have shared the complete story.
Sponsored