OP

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maserati GT, Ferrari 355 F1 GTS, Ferrari F355 Berlinetta, BMW 335xi
Both are quite capable in the snow. The Sahara has the option of full time 4x4 so you don't have to worry about going into and out of 4x4 on mixed surfaces (you should not drive a normal 4x4 t-case on dry pavement). The Rubicon can handle it, but you'll need to go into and out of 4x4 as conditions change.

So IMHO the Sahara would have a minor advantage if you travel on snowy/slippery paved roads if you have the full time 4x4 package. While the Rubicon will require more driver involvement on mixed surfaces. I don't know if the Rubis lockers would offer much advantage except under extreme conditions but it could.
Another post that sold me on the Sahara for my needs - thank you, Eric!
Sponsored

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Both are quite capable in the snow. The Sahara has the option of full time 4x4 so you don't have to worry about going into and out of 4x4 on mixed surfaces (you should not drive a normal 4x4 t-case on dry pavement). The Rubicon can handle it, but you'll need to go into and out of 4x4 as conditions change.

So IMHO the Sahara would have a minor advantage if you travel on snowy/slippery paved roads if you have the full time 4x4 package. While the Rubicon will require more driver involvement on mixed surfaces. I don't know if the Rubis lockers would offer much advantage except under extreme conditions but it could.
So basically if I got a new Rubi, if I was in snow or slippery conditions I would need to shift into 4wd drive as I do no in my JK Sahara?

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
I liked the look of the Rubi, but based on what options I wanted and the money I had to spend, I ended up in a Sahara. Because we wanted a safe, 4dr convertible, that was also capable in the snow. It’s an ‘18 and the Moab wasn’t out yet or I may have ended up in that. So right away I bought Moab takeoff wheels, Rubi takeoff 33” KO2’s, and got rid of any and all chrome/grey badges and trim including the grill and bumper. Now we have exactly what we wanted with minimal mods, and we couldn’t be happier. In fact my 2yo daughter loves daddy’s Jeep - no roof, and pointing out other Jeeps! Bonus is taking off the doors, you can’t do that in other vehicles! We don’t have the Select-Trac AWD but honestly haven’t needed 4x4 in the Chicagoland winter yet except once to get up our driveway (go figure). We did get the halogen lights, and at first I wasn’t sure I could deal with it coming from xenon HID’s in my last 3 vehicles, but they’re fine. And another bonus is the tail lights look more classic look PLUS I hear the LED’s don’t generate enough heat to melt the snow and ice here. Overall very happy with the Sahara however I wish there was somewhere to take it off-roading nearby like you guys have in other states. #jeeplife

91855D12-45AA-40A7-B6AF-CB261BC49C56.jpeg

F23FD1C0-F5B3-4948-92E9-B5C9D1F6E43D.jpeg

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
So basically if I got a new Rubi, if I was in snow or slippery conditions I would need to shift into 4wd drive as I do no in my JK Sahara?
Yeah... pretty much. With the Rubicon you need to shift into 4x4 for slippery conditions, and out of 4x4 on dry pavement.

With the Sahara you can get the Selec-Trac t-case that you can leave in 4x4 full time, it won't care if pavement is dry, wet, slippery, or covered with bacon grease. While i haven't driven in bacon grease (that I'm aware of) it would probably smell pretty good.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
IMO a stock Rubicon is better for snow than a stock Sahara is. Sure, auto 4WD is nice, but it's unnecessary. If you're worried about ice 4WD isn't gonna do crap anyways. You can see where pavement starts and ends. If you're driving in snow conditions often enough you'll know when 4WD should be engaged. More importantly the road is never going to be dry if you're in snowy conditions. LSD is not going to make a difference if you're in 4WD either. The tires are the biggest difference between the two. The KO2s will do much better in the snow or slush than the ATs on the Sahara will. Both have traction control which works great.

Now if it was up to me I would get the Sahara with auto 4WD and just switch the tires to a snow rated AT. But strictly stock to stock I give the Rubicon the edge just because of tires. I haven't seen snow since I bought my JLU, but my JKU Sport was incredible in snow. She didn't have LSD or auto 4WD and handled up to 20 inches of snow just fine. Either the Sahara or Rubicon will be great too.

Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
The stock Sport or Sahara models with the rear slip differential come with all terrain tires as standard vs the all season tires.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Plenty of minivans and Civics doing just fine in the snow... just sayin’.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
I have dedicated snow tires on my 18 Miata and have no issues with traction unless the snow is too high (clearance).

My wife has had multiple Honda Odyssey’s and we have lived in Utah, Minnesota, and now New England running dedicated snow tires with zero issues. One time there was a storm so bad in the canyons in Utah and she drove right through it while AWD vehicles were stuck because they had all seasons. Tires are so important. Dedicated snow tires with just about any type of AWD/4x4 system is going so get you through almost anything.

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Because you may not want to pay for features you won't use. Personally I'd never disconnect the sway bars, and probably never engage the lockers. I also prefer the more efficient gears in the Sahara over the Rubicon's 4.10's that I won't need. Why pay for them just because you can afford them. I could have bought a Rubi, but it wasn't worth the extra couple grand to me. No shade to anyone who bought/buys a Rubi, but you asked a question, so that's the answer of why not. At least my answer for it anyway.

Hard to ague with that. I love the hood, and the standard rims are nice too (the optional ones are not my style though).
That said, a Sahara can look pretty darn good with little effort.
19-5-4-3-resize-jpg.jpg

Freeway tires? My Sahara had Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo3 tires. Granted it's not as rugged looking as the KO2's but it's still an AT tire. In fact tirerack groups them both in the same category "On/Off-road All-Terrain".

Fixed it for you. ;)

Exactly what I was going to say. If it had been available when I ordered mine, I would have got a Moab.
Yeah more or less I was just using slang saying that most Sahara's have more highway friendly tires, vs. say the more aggressive KO2's, not saying that they are not A/T's, but if he was worried about getting a Sahara because the shocks are not as firm as say the Rubicon, it doesn't make as much of a difference as the 33' inch KO2's.

OP
OP

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My BMW 335xi is amazing in the snow......until it bottoms out. So, ground clearance is the issue ;)

Sponsored

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Gas mileage is lower on the rubi too isn't it

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
So, I started paying more attention and I just love that tank, Hummer H1 look and the fact that it's very utilitarian.
Not to derail, but I couldn't let this go. To be clear, the H1 has a jeep-like look, not the other way around. The jeep's appearance pre-dates the HMMWV by 40+ years. :)

OP
OP

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to derail, but I couldn't let this go. To be clear, the H1 has a jeep-like look, not the other way around. The jeep's appearance pre-dates the HMMWV by 40+ years. :)
Good point!

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Nice lookin' jeep there @Shots ! I like the blue hooks up front and I'm more and more convinced my next set of tires will have the white letters!
Thanks. I've always liked the white letters. Don't know why, but dang if there isn't something that just looks good about it.

mrhumble1 said:
Ok nobody else has asked so I am just gonna say it: Why are you getting a Wrangler at all?? If you are not gonna wheel or mod, why spend $50k for something that will be less comfy as a daily driver when other vehicles would be MUCH better at that AND still meet all your requirements???...
I don't understand getting a vehicle that's build for a purpose then not using it for said purpose, so I (genuinely) just want to know why he wants a Wrangler.
Easy answer. Because they're fun to drive. The Grand Cherokee and Dodge Rams we had before were certainly capable of doing everything my JL will ever be used for, but the JL is a lot more fun to drive. A lot of times vehicle choice is more about simple enjoyment than capability.

This thread is a bit confusing (to me). Is the Sahara better in the snow than the Rubicon? I’m coming from a 10 JKU. To a 19 Rubicon. Thanks.
That's the typical opinion, yes. With the option of selec-trac full time 4wd, and LSD it does amazing in the snow, even with the stock tires that aren't M+S rated.
As others have noted though, tires make a big difference. Even though the Sahara comes with pretty good tires, the KO2 that was on the Rubicon is the gold standard for tires. I think the 2020 are getting Wildpeak so I'm not sure how they are. They rate well, but I've never had them.
Personally I like the idea of being able to select full time 4wd when it's snowing and forget about it. No the roads may not be "dry", but I'm not running a 4hi setting when there is only an inch or two of snow on the ground. There are too many "clear" spots where it's only wet or slushy and I don't like the idea of a "locked" system trying to work in those conditions. That said, the Rubicon is perfectly capable in snow, just like the Sahara is perfectly capable off road. The difference between them (with a good driver) is minimal in both aspects, and they're each made with a typical use in mind. Sahara more street minded, and Rubicon more trail minded. It doesn't mean one is any better than the other, and I'd certainly have no worries about driving a Rubicon on snow covered roads, or a Sahara down a trail through the woods.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
... the KO2 that was on the Rubicon is the gold standard for tires. I think the 2020 are getting Wildpeak so I'm not sure how they are. They rate well, but I've never had them. ...
The cryptostickers 'sticker' for my 2020 Rubicon build show BF Goodrich tires, but not which model (KO2 or KM3)
Sponsored