DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maserati GT, Ferrari 355 F1 GTS, Ferrari F355 Berlinetta, BMW 335xi
Greetings All:

I think I know the answer but I'd like to here from the experts here....

In looking for my Wrangler, my primary needs are:

- Winter vehicle, must be great in the snow

- Daily driver, 6 months of the year, during the winter months.

- Mild use in summer, likely when I need to haul (not tow) some stuff.

- No plans at this time for trials or rock climbing, that could change if I find time.

That said, I assume the Sahara is the best choice for me over the Rubicon? I assume the Rubicon is better suited for trials / rocks?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Greetings All:

- No plans at this time for trials or rock climbing, that could change if I find time.

That said, I assume the Sahara is the best choice for me over the Rubicon? I assume the Rubicon is better suited for trials / rocks?

Thanks in advance.
Based on your description the Sahara would be the better choice. I would get one with the rear anti-slip LSD if possible it will help with the snow, but in all honesty even without that you should not have many issues with snow in a Jeep. Tires are probably more important in snow than locking diffs, etc.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I live in Nh so we get snow ..lol

We have a Sahara and it's great in the snow. We pretty much do everything you've described. I pull a small trailer with it for the dump, use it in winter, it's a good daily driver etc ..

So far it's been awesome.

Greetings All:

Thanks in advance.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Are you really asking this question on this forum? That is basically akin to standing on a street corner in the NE US and asking someone if they prefer the Yankees or Red Sox. You're going to get a whole lot of extremely passionate responses, exactly zero of which is unbiased and helpful.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Greetings All:

Thanks in advance.
If you can afford it, why not buy the Rubicon? It will do almost everything the Sahara will do, plus more. You might find the front and rear lockers especially handy in snow. The main advantage of the Sahara with the 8 speed auto is being able to use full-time 4wd, a benefit in all conditions, but especially when slippery.

P.S. The Rubicon tires are winter rated (snow flake symbol) - not sure about the Sahara. This can sometimes get you an insurance discount.

Last edited:

Sponsored

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered a Sahara with Limited Slip Rear. Put Rubicon takeoffs (BFG KO2) on it and it performs excellent in snow. Didn't need a Rubicon with lockers that can only be used in 4 Low as I am not rock crawlin'. Limited Slip works better for me in the snow. Couldn't be happier with choice. It is also my daily driver year-round.

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
This is actually a great thread question, I have a Rubicon, but have recently been using a dealerships (white) Sahara, and I am really impressed on how nice the gearing is and feel of the Sahara. It is allot smoother and keep in mind the Sahara I was using was lifted with 35's, the same as my Rubicon and I have to say in retrospect, I wouldn't mind either. I plan on doing allot of off-roading but not really rock crawling more of an overland setup. If i ever get a Gladiator, which is probably just a matter of time, I would definitely give that overland (Sahara) version some good thought over the Rubicon.

IMG_3585.jpg

IMG_4216.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_3865.JPG

IMG_3866.JPG

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
This is actually a great thread question, I have a Rubicon, but have recently been using a dealerships (white) Sahara, and I am really impressed on how nice the gearing is and feel of the Sahara. It is allot smoother and keep in mind the Sahara I was using was lifted with 35's, the same as my Rubicon and I have to say in retrospect, I wouldn't mind either. I plan on doing allot of off-roading but not really rock crawling more of an overland setup. If i ever get a Gladiator, which is probably just a matter of time, I would definitely give that overland (Sahara) version some good thought over the Rubicon.

IMG_3585.jpg

IMG_4216.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_3865.JPG

IMG_3866.JPG
Did the Sahara with 35's have stock gearing? 3.45's?

OP
OP

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, Guys. The Rubicon just looks a tad cooler to me. But, I'd be concerned how those tires do on dry pavement.

Is the Rubicon suspension any different? Coming from sports cars (the other 6 months a year), less body roll would be something that interests me.

18BlackJLRU

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4XE Rubicon
Thanks, Guys. The Rubicon just looks a tad cooler to me. But, I'd be concerned how those tires do on dry pavement.

Is the Rubicon suspension any different? Coming from sports cars (the other 6 months a year), less body roll would be something that interests me.
Yes the suspension is different on the Rubicon... it is a bit stiffer.

I had a 2013 Sahara Unlimited and changed it for a 2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited and I really like it.

Go with your heart and buy the model that you like the most, you will be happy with either one.

Sponsored

JaybearWL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0t

I think the conventional wisdom is that the Sahara has better road manners because of bigger wheels (18" vs. 17") and a gentler suspension.

OP
OP

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah crap - I guess I need to drive a Rubicon if the suspension is stiffer.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

The Rubicon tires will be fine on dry pavement, but the Jeep won't handle like a sports car. With the top heavy geometry of a Jeep, you should be more concerned about how the tires handle on wet and snowy roads. The BFG KO2s have siping for wet roads and a good lug design for snow.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
For what it’s worth: I have a sport s w Rubi suspension/wheels. My wife was in my SIL’s sahara and she commented how much better sahara ride is.
Sponsored