Sahara vs. Rubicon?

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Oh that's good. So the Wilepeak are only going on the JT Rubicon then?
Sponsored

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
It is very very clear for how you want to use it, the Sahara is the right choice and I believe you know that. It sounds like you want to be sold on the Rubicon. If you are never going off road then get the Sahara or even better a Grand Cherokee. Good luck.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yeah, I agree with that too. I don't know why they didn't put the KM2 or KM3 on them before, but the Falken seem to be a good choice.

On a side note, I'm putting the Falken Wildpeak M/T on my wife's Renegade (the only rugged tire I could find in a size that fits it), so I'm glad to hear you like them so far.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My 2019 2 door rubicon came with Falken Wildpeak M/T, so it's not just for the JT. At the time I bought it, my understanding was 2019+ Rubicons will all be getting the Falken Wildpeak M/T. I was a bit disappointed because I have really liked the BFG KO2 as an all around tire. But so far these wildpeaks have been great on road and off. I haven't had them on ice yet, so that remains to be seen, but so far I'm happy. And really... the rubicon should come with a m/t tire rather than an a/t. It fits the theme of the trim better.
I'm hoping that the BFG KO2s come on our new Rubicon. The Falken tires, which are made in Japan, do not have a very good dealer/distribution network in Canada.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Another thing to consider is that the Selec-Trac comes with CV joints up front, which is believed to appreciably reduce the chances of having death wobble issues.

Sponsored

wobblybob

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata 10AE, 2009 BMW 328Xi
Greetings All:

I think I know the answer but I'd like to here from the experts here....

In looking for my Wrangler, my primary needs are:

- Winter vehicle, must be great in the snow

- Daily driver, 6 months of the year, during the winter months.

- Mild use in summer, likely when I need to haul (not tow) some stuff.

- No plans at this time for trials or rock climbing, that could change if I find time.

That said, I assume the Sahara is the best choice for me over the Rubicon? I assume the Rubicon is better suited for trials / rocks?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Dave, I'm just down the road from you in the village of East Aurora and am going through the same type of decision making process on what JL model/options are best for my needs which are similar yours. In our area winter driving is a substantial consideration. It's not the deep snow that is the biggest consideration as most 4WD/AWD vehicles will handle that well (especially with dedicated snows), you have to consider the daily slippery snow and ice conditions that we encounter in our daily commutes. I'm thinking that a Sport or Sahara with the the Anti-Spin Rear Axle would be the best choice. on our area. I only want a 2 door so unfortunately the Sahara with the Select-Trac is not available for me otherwise I would definitely go with the Sahara. I'll be interested in what you chose and why so please keep us posted.

p.s. I can't stand black wheels either. Reminds me of the black steel wheels that i had to run on my cheap rust heaps many years ago!

OP
OP

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maserati GT, Ferrari 355 F1 GTS, Ferrari F355 Berlinetta, BMW 335xi
Hi Dave, I'm just down the road from you in the village of East Aurora and am going through the same type of decision making process on what JL model/options are best for my needs which are similar yours. In our area winter driving is a substantial consideration. It's not the deep snow that is the biggest consideration as most 4WD/AWD vehicles will handle that well (especially with dedicated snows), you have to consider the daily slippery snow and ice conditions that we encounter in our daily commutes. I'm thinking that a Sport or Sahara with the the Anti-Spin Rear Axle would be the best choice. on our area. I only want a 2 door so unfortunately the Sahara with the Select-Trac is not available for me otherwise I would definitely go with the Sahara. I'll be interested in what you chose and why so please keep us posted.

p.s. I can't stand black wheels either. Reminds me of the black steel wheels that i had to run on my cheap rust heaps many years ago!
Hi Gary - I'm in EA almost every night - we should meet up at some point ;)

I placed and order today for a 2020 Sahara. MSRP of $50,010.00

Black exterior, black leather interior, body colored hard top, LED's, cold weather package, V6 eTorque, Select Trac, Antislip diff.

I ordered it thru:

Mark at [email protected] Fitzpatrick's in Ansonia, CT

He has helped many guys on the board and I can tell you he gave me zero BS and a great deal. Trust me, this is the guy you want to speak to and don't waste your time with the local dealers as they all play games.

I will be selling my BMW out right and will get started on that next week :)

Norton300

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon

Black exterior, black leather interior, body colored hard top, LED's, cold weather package, V6 eTorque, Select Trac, Antislip diff.

I ordered it thru:

He has helped many guys on the board and I can tell you he gave me zero BS and a great deal. Trust me, this is the guy you want to speak to and don't waste your time with the local dealers as they all play games.

Congrats on your new Jeep order. I had a similar debate. When I moved to the country, I decided to sell my C7 and narrowed it to a Sahara or Rubicon. I choose the Rubicon, but it was a hard decision. Based on how you are going to use it, I think you made a great choice.

MrEMan1287

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sahara 2.0t

Nice! Make sure we get pics when it arrives! :camera:

I'd also like to take this opportunity to brag that I got a fully loaded '19 Sahara 2.0 with all of the above plus for a whopping $10.00 cheaper. I'll attribute those savings to my superior negotiating skills! :LOL:

OP
OP

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maserati GT, Ferrari 355 F1 GTS, Ferrari F355 Berlinetta, BMW 335xi
97613662-9CAB-40F9-8223-47DEA86DE5F0.jpeg
Nice! Make sure we get pics when it arrives! :camera:

I'd also like to take this opportunity to brag that I got a fully loaded '19 Sahara 2.0 with all of the above plus for a whopping $10.00 cheaper. I'll attribute those savings to my superior negotiating skills! :LOL:
LOL!! Will do on the pics. Here is the build pic.

Sponsored

wobblybob

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata 10AE, 2009 BMW 328Xi

I ordered it thru:

Hi Dave - Con

I ordered it thru:

Hi Dave - Congrats on the new Sahara! Nice build, it's gonna be awesome. Message me and we'll meet up. Looking forward to it and to seeing your new Sahara when you get it.

rcc1123

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Greetings All:

I think I know the answer but I'd like to here from the experts here....

In looking for my Wrangler, my primary needs are:

- Winter vehicle, must be great in the snow

- Daily driver, 6 months of the year, during the winter months.

- Mild use in summer, likely when I need to haul (not tow) some stuff.

- No plans at this time for trials or rock climbing, that could change if I find time.

That said, I assume the Sahara is the best choice for me over the Rubicon? I assume the Rubicon is better suited for trials / rocks?

Thanks in advance.
I went through the same thought process when I bought my Jeep JLU. I drove both and loved both but I realized like you that it would be my daily driver and occasional off road vehicle. I went with the Sahara and have not regretted it for a minute. It is still a Jeep Wrangler and is still very capable off road.

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
Are you really asking this question on this forum? That is basically akin to standing on a street corner in the NE US and asking someone if they prefer the Yankees or Red Sox. You're going to get a whole lot of extremely passionate responses, exactly zero of which is unbiased and helpful.
I laughed when I saw your answer, but it turns out I get the last laugh, because I am a Rubicon owner who was going to suggest he get a Sahara since it suits his needs best. I do agree with the other commenter that he really should get some winter rated tires for it (leave them on all year since use in the warm weather is light). And it is essential that he get the limited slip rear diff.

Al13

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
If you like the looks for the Rubi, and the comfort and convenience of the Sahara... you just described a MOAB. Other than the M/T tires, it's a Sahara dressed up like a Rubicon. A lot of MOAB owners have found the M/T tires aren't as loud or rough as they thought they would be. If I were in @DaveL s shoes, I'd give the MOAB a serious look.
I thought they discontinued the Moab for 2020.
Sponsored