ShaggyL

ShaggyL

First Name
Korey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
370z, JL Sport
Welcome to my hell. LOL Maybe my story will help. I went back and forth and back and forth and back and forth (you see the pattern here) for MONTHS about which one to buy. In the end I ended up with a Sahara, and while I do believe I bought the best model for my lifestyle (no regrets) I still want that Rubicon. Would I be happier with a Rubi? Maybe for a while... But that excitement of driving a Rubicon (as a daily driver who occasionally hits the backroads but never rides the hard trails) would eventually die off. The bottom line for me is the Rubicon was total overkill for my needs, regardless of want. I'll get my Rubi some day, but likely when my kids are grown up and I can buy a nice one used with lots of mods already added. For today though, the Sahara is the better model for my daily needs. Much as I hate to admit it. LOL
Sounds like you might be absolutely right. I know the rubicon is an overkill for my needs, and as much as i'd hate to admit too, the Sahara should be the best fit for me too.. I just have a hard time choosing between "wants" and actual "needs" LOL. I wanted another sport/exotic, but its just too impractical.. Have you done any upgrades to your Sahara? What would you recommend?
Sponsored

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
How is the rubicon as a daily? How many miles you put on it now and any issues I should expect? Thanks!
My rubicon is lifted with 35" on it, so it's a bit of a beast.. but I love it and it's my second wrangler so used to it. It's not like riding in a Cadillac, and it's really not even close to riding in my wife grand Cherokee.. it has a tendency to wander in the lane (know steering issue with some JL's, I was unlucky enough to be impacted), I replaced the steering stabilizer, and front track bar and it's much better.. it's a little rough and noisy (it's a solid axle vehicle on offroad wheels, and a soft-top).. but I am able to get from point a to point b without any displeasure, it's actually leather luxury, with an awesome AC and soundsystem.. ... Parking stops, and potholes fear me... chicks check me out, guys wave and cheer my name.. I am Focking KING in most social circles, and pretty much the most awesome dude ever when in it.. and I take my wife and kids out once or twice a month on an adventure, driving all over SoCal, offroading, hiking, exploring.. and really living life.... and honestly I could afford to drive any car I want.. this is my dream car... and I didn't buy it to be the best daily driver... I bought it to be the best vehicle for my lifestyle and for me... simply because I wanted it, and I love it.. so for me.. not having on-road Lexus/Porsche/BMW driving dynamics is really not of importance... putting the top down and driving down the coast with the music blaring with my kids, or hitting an difficult trail with my business partner and his jeep, and hell just looking at the thing parked in my driveway.. was everything.. and getting to work is a perk :)

21C4F369-411B-4540-8E39-358136783310.jpeg

F0D8B93A-C19E-4179-8C18-2794B1677A03.jpeg

F9822D86-2BD0-4A03-920A-E47A02B7CA5A.jpeg

EB4341CF-F12B-4348-B728-1F0F5E06CA6F.jpeg

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
They are giving me an additional warranty totaling 5 years. Id be paying cash for either one, so not worried about interest.
However, when buying from private, I can save on taxes by marking it sold for less than what I really paid. I do it all the time at the dmv.
Be careful of a audit.

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Get the Rubi. The resale will probably be better if you later decide you don’t like it. But chances are you will love it and will regret it if you don’t get it.

Sponsored

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
My rubicon is lifted with 35" on it, so it's a bit of a beast.. but I love it and it's my second wrangler so used to it. It's not like riding in a Cadillac, and it's really not even close to riding in my wife grand Cherokee.. it has a tendency to wander in the lane (know steering issue with some JL's, I was unlucky enough to be impacted), I replaced the steering stabilizer, and front track bar and it's much better.. it's a little rough and noisy (it's a solid axle vehicle on offroad wheels, and a soft-top).. but I am able to get from point a to point b without any displeasure, it's actually leather luxury, with an awesome AC and soundsystem.. ... Parking stops, and potholes fear me... chicks check me out, guys wave and cheer my name.. I am Focking KING in most social circles, and pretty much the most awesome dude ever when in it.. and I take my wife and kids out once or twice a month on an adventure, driving all over SoCal, offroading, hiking, exploring.. and really living life.... and honestly I could afford to drive any car I want.. this is my dream car... and I didn't buy it to be the best daily driver... I bought it to be the best vehicle for my lifestyle and for me... simply because I wanted it, and I love it.. so for me.. not having on-road Lexus/Porsche/BMW driving dynamics is really not of importance... putting the top down and driving down the coast with the music blaring with my kids, or hitting an difficult trail with my business partner and his jeep, and hell just looking at the thing parked in my driveway.. was everything.. and getting to work is a perk :)

21C4F369-411B-4540-8E39-358136783310.jpeg

F0D8B93A-C19E-4179-8C18-2794B1677A03.jpeg

F9822D86-2BD0-4A03-920A-E47A02B7CA5A.jpeg

EB4341CF-F12B-4348-B728-1F0F5E06CA6F.jpeg

Yep, this is written well and truthfully and I have nothing more to add - perfection - this mimics me as well

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Sounds like you might be absolutely right. I know the rubicon is an overkill for my needs, and as much as i'd hate to admit too, the Sahara should be the best fit for me too.. I just have a hard time choosing between "wants" and actual "needs" LOL. I wanted another sport/exotic, but its just too impractical.. Have you done any upgrades to your Sahara? What would you recommend?
haha Those damn wants! ;) The biggest factor for me was the Selec-Trac. It's not a necessity where I live, but we do get about 5 months of snow and it was something that was very important to my husband (we have children as well). Honestly if this was available on the Rubi, I might have fought a bit harder for the cooler ride.

Mine is a factory order so I won't be doing any major upgrades until the warranty is over. I'm considering a lift and MAYBE (eventually) swap out the suspension for Rubicon suspension, but since I don't do any major off-roading this might not happen at all. Ditto for new bumpers and a winch. The next cosmetic upgrade will probably be rock sliders (I HATE those plastic Sahara steps), but that might be where it ends.

So far I have only installed a few cosmetic changes, starting with the tires (285/70R17 KO2, with a +18 wheel offset). This made a HUUUUUGE difference in looks. We also added Atlas hinge steps, a tailgate table ( :handsinair: ) and are playing the waiting game for a few other minor upgrades as well (window vent visors, gutter mount roof rack, and bestop sunrider are all on order, and we will be ordering a new stubby antenna soon as well).

I think that's about it... The bottom line really is what's going to make your heart happy. Either one has it's pros and cons, but they're both going to give you many MANY smiles per miles (it's a real thing!)... But if the Sahara doesn't make your heart sing, then get the Rubi. If you think the Sahara is the better fit for you and you're okay sacrificing your want, then get the Sahara. In the end, they're basically the same vehicle. You're losing lockers and disconnectable sway bars (which it sounds like you don't need) and gaining full time 4H (selec-trac), but you're going to love it no matter which one you choose. Just make sure you weigh out the pros and cons before you decide.

Editing to add: If you do get a Rubicon, also consider whether or not you're going to upgrade it. Most Rubi's are built for offroad (lifts, big tires, etc). So if you're going to keep it stock, the Sahara would probably be MORE than enough Wrangler for you.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
In your case Sahara all the way.

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
I daily drive my manual JL rubicon in north Jersey traffic about 120 miles a day and would have it no other way - well minus the traffic :like:. Quite honestly driving the Rubi is the only thing that makes the commute enjoyable! I dont find the ride harsh or uncomfortable on road over distance. Have just under 36k miles and have had no issues.

As others have said, it really comes down to your personal choice. I went with the Rubi because I’ve always wanted one, love the stock styling and could afford it. Also love knowing the capability to do almost anything is there if/when I need/want it.

I also have friends with Sahara’s and they feel the same way about their JEEP. Again - get what YOU want.

rumblejeep

First Name
Doublehaul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sahara
Greetings all!
I could really use some insight from real jeep enthusiast here...
Long story short, I had a 2019 JL sport for a few months and looking to get another Jeep (No I don't want another Sport).
I have an option to buy a left over 2018 Sahara with 196 miles, fully loaded to the teeth, painted tops and fenders, LED, navigation, 8.4" screen, AND an extra soft top included.. Basically brand new for $37,000...plus tax and fees..obv.

Second option is a used 2018 Rubicon with 16,200 miles, also fully loaded, 8.4" display, painted roof and fenders, cold weather package, LED, steel bumpers, etc.. One owner, older gentleman that has an impressive history of cars. Daily driven, maintained through dealer.. heck, he never even opened the hood before I did when looking at it.
Can get him to $38,000...

Which is the better buy? They will both end up being the same price, except one is "new", while the other being a "Rubicon".
If you had a choice, would you get the used rubicon or the new Sahara?
Do the 16,000 miles justify not buying new?
Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks

IMG_2383.jpg
IMG_2363.jpg
They are beautiful ! The Sahara will have a longer warranty . Get it ! On the other hand, what dealership is that ? I may buy that Sahara and solve your problem

Last edited:

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Some of you make it sound like a Sahara can’t leave the pavement. That is far from the case.
nc_oc=AQnvH30In3WWUgfa4jOaJzFFpckg4gGSAtlnYkJYwBBJQ34e2FKy-WwxoRiOPS2yQqY&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

nc_oc=AQlKUkw6CliB4_tISDrawV3EbnI1rF8FDaOn1bxw0T5u1z7gLH_Sup-G3ZiorlkrwYg&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

nc_oc=AQkOl3-0KfGA9AByKssQ5bQuGG1BCBazH-Rnnvd18Cq1OdgN20ivZ84n_BCQADiY2Dk&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

My prior Wrangler was a top-of-the-line Rubicon Recon with a Mopar lift and 35” KO2s. Yes, it was fun on the trail, but honestly, I don’t miss driving around town on those big, heavy tires.
nc_oc=AQl5FaUmEJAid0YV_Qe-cPIEQ6fsJqjYA-6r-ToIF7bknWWV6K7JiOQyr2pPCqkeLSI&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

This time I shopped both, Rubicons and Saharas: the availability of Selec-Trac, rear LSD and a slightly easier-to-live-with daily driver were the deciding factors for me. No regrets; I’d do it again.

PS - my JL Sahara with 33” tires sits as high as my JK Recon with a 2” Mopar lift and 35” tires.

Last edited:

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
He doesnt know what he wants ! That what this thread is all about !
decide.gif
I have such a hard time understanding people who dont know what they want. I would think asking these kinds of questions on a forum like this only further confuses them. All these responses just add to the swirl in their head!!

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Some of you make it sound like a Sahara can’t leave the pavement. That is far from the case.

My prior Wrangler was a top-of-the-line Rubicon Recon with a Mopar lift and 35” KO2s. Yes, it was fun on the trail, but honestly, I don’t miss driving around town on those big, heavy tires.

This time I shopped both, Rubicons and Saharas: the availability of Selec-Trac, rear LSD and a slightly easier-to-live-with daily driver were the deciding factors for me. No regrets; I’d do it again.

PS - my JL Sahara with 33” tires sits as high as my JK Recon with a 2” Mopar lift and 35” tires.
All of this. Well, except for the last comment. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a stock JL Rubicon sits higher than a JL Sahara, and they're both higher than a JK (which makes the comment irrelevant to the OP's decision). Although that is kind of cool to know how they've evolved! :like:

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
I don't know if I've ever seen a post from a Rubicon owner wishing he had bought a different trim although I'm sure there have been. The other way around? Many.
Sponsored