Sponsored

Sahara vs. Rubicon?

M0ondogy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
As you drive and especially when you turn, the wheels are not all turning the same... for example on a turn the outside wheels rotate faster than the inside wheels since they have a longer distance to travel. (Kinda like watching the marching bands make a tight turn in the Rose Parade... those guys on the inside nearly march in place while the outside lines are marching their little hearts out to make the turn.) When you're on dirt, snow, etc. there is enough give so you won't break anything. On dry pavement with high tire traction this can cause binding in the drivetrain and eventually cause damage. It's also why your Jeep may feel funny on the trail when making a tight turn, but again there's enough give so that nothing should break.

There are lots of good articles on this issue. Here's one for reference: http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnpart.html
Interesting.
So, even with a properly fitted differential it's not recommend, eh?

Never knew that....

Looks to me like a "full time" system is definitely what I'm looking for.
Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting.
So, even with a properly fitted differential it's not recommend, eh?

Never knew that.... Looks to me like a "full time" system is definitely what I'm looking for.
Full time is definitely easier since it's set-it-and-forget-it. But it's not difficult to switch between 2L & 4L while driving (45 mph or slower).

I did just notice something in my Users Manual that shows the 4WD shift selector, it has the 4H AUTO and the 4H Part Time (this would suggest a Sahara) but it also shows a part of the Front & Rear locker switch (Rubicon only). Must've been a euro model Rubicon (don't they come with the full-time 4L option AND lockers?).

Greg Baz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018.5 JL 4 door.
Hey, I am not judging. If he wants one just because he thinks it looks cool, more power to him.

But honest advice (real talk) should include the option of getting another SUV that would be a much better daily driver but still meets all the other requirements at a likely much cheaper price.

Also, I ask to satisfy my curiosity. I don't understand getting a vehicle that's build for a purpose then not using it for said purpose, so I (genuinely) just want to know why he wants a Wrangler. I would ask the same of someone getting a giant crew-cab long-bed pickup and then only using it to drive to an office job and never to tow or haul anything.
You can buy a sports car that can go 150 MPH but how many people will ever drive that fast? They are fun and people like them.

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Yea. I'm restoring an old YJ in my garage for the more serious stuff. Learning auto mechanics and repairs as I go.

The JL will mostly be for DD and the occasional rutted track out to camp.
Pimptastic

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
IDK, it makes more sense to me for a Rubicon to get MT's. AT's are fine for most people, but so is a Sport or Sahara. If you're getting the Rubicon the implication is that you want the most capable off-road vehicle. So shouldn't the tires coincide with that?
I'm not saying the KO2's aren't capable tires, because I've had them and they're great. I'm just saying that if the primary intention of the Rubicon is off-road like people claim, the tire's primary function should also be off road. Just my $.02 though so it doesn't really mean anything. After all, I put MT's on my Sahara to replace the stock AT's that were capable of handling probably everything I'm likely to drive them through/over.

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
The Sahara was completely stock besides the Mopar lift and the Fuel 20's with 35x12.5 Duratracs and it drove like a dream, I was really impressed and kinda started thinking how much do I use my lockers and disc. sway bar? Made me realize that if you did some clean tasteful mods, steel bumper, lift, wheels tires, I would almost prerfer the Sahara and having the money leftover to do those mods vs. buying the Rubicon. One of my favorite examples I have been seeing lately is the EVO JT (Gladiator) it is a fully built rock crawling monster and guess what it is a SPORT S, now I get that in the end it probably costs more than the Rubi, but the level of customization and how amazing it turned out, makes me really want to reconsider my trims for future jeeps and hope this info helps others still in the ordering process.

6E777203-E964-4ADB-B4A1-70FC5577ED3F.jpeg
Well said. Everyone is jumping on the Rubicon train and the Unlimited train. There are different models based on what you want to do. Some people prefer doing the mods and making it their own. I’ve read threads where people buy the JLUR and strip everything from the inside to the under belly and mod it out. When they should have just bought a base Sport S and mod it out. Same tune. Just wasted a metric ton of money just to say they have a “Rubi”. This post is not meant to offend anyone. I personally should have ordered what I wanted instead of buying off the lot. We all make mistakes. No biggie. Next time I will. Live and learn.

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
IDK, it makes more sense to me for a Rubicon to get MT's. AT's are fine for most people, but so is a Sport or Sahara. If you're getting the Rubicon the implication is that you want the most capable off-road vehicle. So shouldn't the tires coincide with that?
I'm not saying the KO2's aren't capable tires, because I've had them and they're great. I'm just saying that if the primary intention of the Rubicon is off-road like people claim, the tire's primary function should also be off road. Just my $.02 though so it doesn't really mean anything. After all, I put MT's on my Sahara to replace the stock AT's that were capable of handling probably everything I'm likely to drive them through/over.
I beg to differ (at least for me). The only thing I DIDN'T like about the JKRs was the MTs. Our Jeep is a DD and it will spend a good 90% of it's life on pavement. The Rubicon is for the other 10%! While some don't mind (or even prefer) the MT's pavement prowess, to me the KO2 is the better all-around tire. Granted the MTs will have some advantage under certain off-road conditions, but even then I haven't been in any of those where a KO2 isn't as capable as the MT. Then again I do avoid mud like the plague when I can avoid it.

For me the Rubicon with the KO2s offer the most capability. I don't think anyone will argue that the MTs are better on-road than the KO2s. Though some do like the sound of the MTs on pavement. Heck, some prefer the look of the MTs over the KO2s, performance doesn't necessarily have to play a role. And that's fine too. I love the way MTs look... I just prefer the better overall performance of the KO2s.

Sponsored

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
You can buy a sports car that can go 150 MPH but how many people will ever drive that fast? They are fun and people like them.
I know several people who own sports cars and they take them to the track on weekends just like I take my Jeep on the trail. They put on a helmet, change the tires, and hit the track for the best lap time. Not too different from me airing down my tires and shifting the transfer case into 4-Lo for a trail run.

PLENTY of high-performance vehicle owners use them as intended. Many, likely even most, don't, but many do.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm not saying the KO2's aren't capable tires, because I've had them and they're great. I'm just saying that if the primary intention of the Rubicon is off-road like people claim, the tire's primary function should also be off road. ...
There is a reason that Jeep is offering MT as a no-charge option - for people like you.

Your reasoning makes sense if your off-road is going to be rocks or mud. The KO2 is a better tire for me for driving off-road on dunes and beaches, and of course, in the snow. They will handle any dirt or rocks that I will be encountering.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Wow, I had no idea they offered the MT as a no charge option (I assume Rubi only). Very cool of them, and absolutely an option I would consider, depending on the tires offered.

....Then again I do avoid mud like the plague when I can avoid it....
Yeah me too. I don't mind a muddy trail, or loose dirt, but I'm avoiding the mud pit any chance I can. AT's are actually a better choice for me because they do better in the snow, but then there's this ↓ ↓ ↓

.... I love the way MTs look... .
You and me both. Modern mud tires are much better than they used to be, so you don't give up a lot for the look. They're not super loud like they once were, and they've got much better road manners now. If they were still rough, loud, easily worn tires like they were 20 years ago, I'd keep the AT's.

Honestly the best MT I've had are the Goodyear Duratrac. They do well off road, they look good, they're quite, and they're M+S rated so they do amazing in the snow/ice. The only reason I bought the KM2 instead of the Duratrac this time around was price. I got mine used from a guy who put them on a Silverado and decided 34's were too small so he sold them at a fraction of the retail price, with maybe 5,000 miles on them. Couldn't pass up a deal.
Sponsored