Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
https://www.quadratec.com/p/rustys-...Vr5vO1kenz5AsbF1lMdUyQypUrqlWcMhoCh3AQAvD_BwE

Anyone running this tire carrier?

I was at the Cullman Jeep Jamboree this past weekend and Rusty had a few jeeps there. Their Punk'n 4 door had this tire carrier.

Trying to find some real world experience with it. Looks to be nicely made and says will support up to a 40" tire.
I’ve installed one for a customer. Was a nice part but I cringed having to drill 4 holes in the gate.

Brett

OP
OP
pokey02

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 JCW, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve installed one for a customer. Was a nice part but I cringed having to drill 4 holes in the gate.

Brett
Yes, I saw that. Can it be installed without drilling those holes?

I have a 2 door so will most likely never run a 40. I assume the 40 is what would cause the gate to flex near the handle.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Yes, I saw that. Can it be installed without drilling those holes?

I have a 2 door so will most likely never run a 40. I assume the 40 is what would cause the gate to flex near the handle.
In my opinion it would look incomplete and I think it would have the potential to rattle

Brett

Mr.Jeep

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl unlimited sport, 2020 JT Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Sponsored

OP
OP
pokey02

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
i installed one a few weeks ago on my jeep ... i love it, no movement its solid .
took awhile to install by my self, help would of been nice,,,lol i got the hi lift jack mount too.
money well spent , here a few pics

View attachment 228188

View attachment 228189

View attachment 228190
Looks good, nice and solid.

What size tire are you running? How are the hinges? Are they greasable?

This tire carrier seems like a solid option, especially since it's made in the USA. I am not super fond of drilling holes in the gate though. Lol

Last edited:

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
I'm struggling with this as well. It seems like a lot of them have pluses and minus'. The big plus to the Rusty's is the e-coating. I wish more companies would do this instead of just powder coat, which they can't coat inside, which leads to possibly rust stains coming out.

I don't want to drill my tailgate either. Though I have no problems drilling and welding on my vehicles, I just don't want to commit to this carrier that much. Who knows, I may decide to run without a spare later on.

OP
OP
pokey02

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm struggling with this as well. It seems like a lot of them have pluses and minus'. The big plus to the Rusty's is the e-coating. I wish more companies would do this instead of just powder coat, which they can't coat inside, which leads to possibly rust stains coming out.

I don't want to drill my tailgate either. Though I have no problems drilling and welding on my vehicles, I just don't want to commit to this carrier that much. Who knows, I may decide to run without a spare later on.
I also like that it provides for a camera mount and relocating the third brake light. And the hinge reinforcement plate looks like a good idea.

I have been thinking about just removing the part of the carrier that requires drilling holes in the tailgate. Looks like it could be cut off? I dunno.

You are right, they all have their pluses and minuses.

Mr.Jeep

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
ya drilling hole was uncomfortable to do, but oh well thats what it takes to make it solid so be it.
i like it i have no regrets, tire size 37.50x18r18
super happy customer , i have rear bumper and rear fascia, soon to get front bumper ..

Mr.Jeep

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks good, nice and solid.

What size tire are you running? How are the hinges? Are they greasable?

This tire carrier seems like a solid option, especially since it's made in the USA. I am not super fond of drilling holes in the gate though. Lol
  • • Made in the USA
  • • Made of 3/16-inch and 1/4-inch steel
  • • 100% bolt-on installation
  • • Will carry up to a 40-inch tire
  • • One-hand operation
  • • Adjustable tire position works with most aftermarket bumpers and wheel offsets
  • • Three different lug patterns available
  • • E-coated and Powdercoated satin black
  • • Optional bolt-on accessories available

Sponsored

Mr.Jeep

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
  • • Made in the USA
  • • Made of 3/16-inch and 1/4-inch steel
  • • 100% bolt-on installation
  • • Will carry up to a 40-inch tire
  • • One-hand operation
  • • Adjustable tire position works with most aftermarket bumpers and wheel offsets
  • • Three different lug patterns available
  • • E-coated and Powdercoated satin black
  • • Optional bolt-on accessories available
i have 37's will be going to 40's soon.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I like it, but what's it gaining at the hinges?

I mean WHY are they more heavy duty? Longer hinge pin? Thicker material?

I'm really not trying to be argumentative, just trying to make sure they didn't just copy the factory pieces in terms of size?? Or are we assuming the steel will be stronger than Al?

I understand the plate across the gate stiffens the gate considerably, more curious about the hinges.

OP
OP
pokey02

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I like it, but what's it gaining at the hinges?

I mean WHY are they more heavy duty? Longer hinge pin? Thicker material?

I'm really not trying to be argumentative, just trying to make sure they didn't just copy the factory pieces in terms of size?? Or are we assuming the steel will be stronger than Al?

I understand the plate across the gate stiffens the gate considerably, more curious about the hinges.
The stock hinges are bolted to the tub with 3 bolts each. They are using 4 bolts and provide a metal plate to reinforce the tub.

They are also using 1/4" metal for the hinge pieces. I'm not sure how that compares to the other manufacturers of hinged tire carriers. As far as I've seen, Rusty's is the only one that reinforces the tub where the hinge bolts on the inside.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
I also like that it provides for a camera mount and relocating the third brake light. And the hinge reinforcement plate looks like a good idea.

I have been thinking about just removing the part of the carrier that requires drilling holes in the tailgate. Looks like it could be cut off? I dunno.

You are right, they all have their pluses and minuses.
Actually, the Rusty's license plate holder is the one I like the least of all. Not just how it appears to mount (can't find any videos), but also simply how it looks extending out and above the wheel. MotoBuilt wins this category for me.

I don't doubt that the extra tab offers additional support. I believe that. And yes, I'm sure it could be cut off, and the whole thing would be about the same as the other carriers. So if you're willing to drill the holes and commit to this carrier, the additional support is a likely a plus for the Rusty's, but if not willing to commit, it's a minus.

The real question is, which one of these carriers is the most tolerable based on our own priorities? It's tough!

And then there are rock sliders.....sigh...

OP
OP
pokey02

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The real question is, which one of these carriers is the most tolerable based on our own priorities? It's tough!

And then there are rock sliders.....sigh...
Yes, I cant seem to make up my mind. The hinge reinforcement seems like a good thing ... maybe overkill, but when is that a bad idea?! Lol

But, I dont want to drill holes in my tailgate. So there's that.

There is also some aesthetic part to this as well ... I am not of fan of where ACE puts their logo, so that carrier is out for me.

Sigh. And, yeah, sliders are a whole other issue, especially since I have a 2 door. Options are limited at best.

I should just roll some dice or ask the magic 8 ball ... haha
Sponsored